Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Slammedfox

Facebook suggested friends

Recently I've noticed some weird things on facebook concerning suggested friends.

so there's been multiple occasions that a friend and I have brought someone up in conversation that have popped up on suggested friends coincidence? Maybe but last week I served time in county for driving while suspended and myself and another inmate started talking and brought up common people we know and he asked if I knew a few people that I've heard of before but never met before. Take in mind I was in jail so no smartphone.... I got released yesterday and I get on facebook and see on my suggested friends not only the guy I was talking to in jail who is still currently incarcerated pop up on my suggested friends but later that day I see one of the people he asked if I had knew... started to get a little creeped out thinking I'm just overthinking I disregard it. But then it happens 2 more times... I've said the guys name around a few friends asking if they knew the guy I was in county with but never searched him on facebook so it couldn't be from me "creeping" on his page. So backstory leads me to the question what is everyone's thoughts on phones microphones picking up names when it is in sleep mode and facebook and possibly other apps storing those names for them to generate "suggested friends" and worse possibly complete conversations somewhere?

WhiteHorse    608

When I was having trouble getting my son back from the elite scumbags, every person who passed away that I knew, popped up like your description, even though I removed them. Really strange. 

Jostler    2,220

I have seen articles that leave no doubt that it is possible to activate both cameras and microphones on cell phones while the phone appears to be inactivse or even turned off, so I suspect any and all of the options you mentioned are possibilities.

But, there is an additional possibility as well which is simple data mining/dossier building being combed through by an AI smart enough to connect arrest/conviction records, court records or anything else a police officer or court official would have access to via computer.  A smart AI could "predict" that you might  run into someone it also knew was in the same jail, and it could also have enough insight into both  of your preferences and personalities to compute the probability that  you might get along well enough to befriend each other.  The guy he asked if you knew, may have been picked out based on the  parts already mentioned.

And then I may just have AI on my mind because I recently updated an old thread on the topic :)  If you are not well versed in the current status and uses of artificial intelligences you might want to spend some time checking out the main videos in this thread:

What you've experienced is well within the capabilities of AI we know already exist.  In fact, its the  kind of predictive computing they're being "trained" to do.

Edit:  Once you  find out what "GeoInt" is and figure out you're a "node" in that module, if it doesn't scare the hell out of you, you're not paying attention :)

8008Sight    22

I know FB goes by phone numbers aswell, if you're name is saved with your number I've gotten the wierdest friend recommendations

Brio    1,038

This may be a dumb question (I'm not on fb) but why would fb suggest 'friends'? What's in it for them?

Dewdrop    52

They use an algorithm that is a very clever data miner. All the people I call for work show up on my friend suggestions...

Jostler    2,220
5 hours ago, Brio said:

This may be a dumb question (I'm not on fb) but why would fb suggest 'friends'? What's in it for them?

tbh Brio I think mapping connections between people, places and things is the real purpose of Facebook from the very beginning.  There's plenty of evidence both Google and Facebook were seeded with deep state money.  And they've both done well at assembling the data bases .gov needs to make themselves virtually inescapable.

Edit:  D-Wave is a more recent example of a tech developed in secret and then turned over to a carefully selected startup for commercialization. 

Stan Hail    213

Please stop feeding the machine and step away from facebook. You and your friends can find an online alternative and if not there still is the telephone.  To me, by using services like facebook and twitter it makes you part of the problem.

Brio    1,038
18 hours ago, Jostler said:

tbh Brio I think mapping connections between people, places and things is the real purpose of Facebook from the very beginning.  There's plenty of evidence both Google and Facebook were seeded with deep state money.  And they've both done well at assembling the data bases .gov needs to make themselves virtually inescapable.

Edit:  D-Wave is a more recent example of a tech developed in secret and then turned over to a carefully selected startup for commercialization. 

That makes absolute sense, thank you. I learned about biogeodatabases when I was working on a GIS diploma, they scare the hell out of me. Unbelievably powerful tool.