Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

'Thunder asthma:' Deadly illness caused by freak weather/AUSTRALIA 8500 HOSPITALIZED/6 dead

Cinnamon    24,747

An unusual combination of weather conditions leading to a freak illness known as thunderstorm asthma has left three people dead in Australia.

Hundreds of people were rushed to hospital Monday with breathing problems in the southern Australian state of Victoria as emergency services struggled to cope.

<SNIP>

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/23/health/thunderstorm-asthma-australia/index.html

Just when I think I've heard of everything at least once... 

Cryptic Mole    4,549

I didn't watch your video or even check any of the links, but I believe it was caused by the ozone smell after lightning strikes. When I was 12 years old, I was installing a beam antenna on the roof of my parents home when a thunderstorm began. Being a stupid kid, I decided to continue my installation when lightning struck nearby. The smell of the ozone made me suddenly sick and hard for me to breathe. I quickly scuttled down the scuttle hole and off the roof gasping for air. I did not have asthma. That was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me.

Edit... Found This: How does ozone affect people with asthma?

https://www.epa.gov/ozone-pollution-and-your-patients-health/health-effects-ozone-patients-asthma-and-other-chronic#ozone

Ozone is created in nature by lightning and can be smelled after a storm:

http://www.envronozone.com/science/ozone_science.htm

Unchained   
Unchained
6 hours ago, Jostler said:

I had no clue this was a thing...much less on this scale or this deadly :/

Me neither. When I was a teen our house was next to an electric substation. Once in a while the substation would get zapped with lightning. They had a special build lightning rod. The sound made your ears ring, your hairs stoop up and the air smelled like slightly burnt material. However we never had any sort of illness from it.

Blazer   
Blazer

Didn't I just red that Australia was misting the population with aerosol vaccines? This could cause people to have a reaction, get sick and die.....

Lee   
Lee

Calling it a conspiracy is wrong, however this is not a natural 'freak' situation. Human's naivety and disregard have caused this, it's just our planet saying 'please stop and do something about it'. A reaction with the o-zone? Sure..it makes sense. Yet if the o-zone was completely natural and unaffected by human poison, do you think it would react in such a way? With everything 'we' do to the atmosphere, these types of tragedies will become more common. It's certainly not nature's fault.

Groove    2,073

My aunt was over today and her daughter lives in Sydney. She face timed her when she was here and I just happen to ask her about this. She told me that 4 of her neighbors were affected but no one knew what it was.  Even she said that she got short of breath but nothing too bad. The weather has been kinda crazy there but she said just a lot of rain and humidity has been crazy high lately.