Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

CSB

Smartphones are keeping kids up at night, damaging their development and alertness during the day

CSB    2,445

Smartphones are keeping kids up at night, damaging their development and alertness during the day

By: D. Samuelson Date: November 18, 2016

For over one hundred years, radio frequency (RF) waves have been used to transport information. Remember those old battery operated AM radios you kept by your bedside? There wasn’t much, if any, concern about RF exposure, or electromagnetic frequencies ( EMF ) a few decades ago. But these days,  WIFI connectivity, personal computers, radiation, smart phones and smart homes are a way of life, even in a child’s bedroom. And the wireless world our youth are thrust into is fraught with health risks, including a serious lack of deep sleep.

Cbc.ca reports that mobile devices, particularly our children’s use of smart phones before going to bed, are causing an epidemic of “streaming, not dreaming.” Students who are unable to obtain the necessary nine to ten hours of sound nightly shut eye will then fall asleep the next day in class. This cascades into attention and study problems, according to research published in the Pediatric edition of the Journal for the American Medical Association (JAMA).

JAMA Pediatrics looked over 20 existing sleep studies that included “125,198 children aged six to nineteen.” Reviewers focused specifically on cell phone use in the bedroom, and claim the data they gathered to be the “first systematic review and meta-analysis” of its kind. JAMA urges dialogue between parents, teachers and health care professionals to address this issue and take immediate action to minimize exposure to these devices, especially before bedtime.

Link to the whole post : http://www.newstarget.com/2016-11-18-smartphones-are-keeping-kids-up-at-night-damaging-their-development-and-alertness-during-the-day.html

I can't remember when it was but I remember Bill Gates warn us that children that are in school should have adult supervision when it comes to computer and cell phone use .

You are probably stating the countless hours they spend on the device which is keeping them up, while others are stating that the bright light also ruins their sleep cycle, (for the latter, different night dimmers can be installed).  

NEWB   
NEWB

I stare at those tiny screens and couldn't make out anything on a smartphone, thus I own a dinosaur slider phone.I don't know why people love smart phones, I guess cause they never learned how to type , so its their first foray into the worldwide net.  My kids prefer the Xbox in the family room on their 65 inch screen inch over those phones and if they need to get on the internet, its the PC, also in the family room.  Then at night they go to bed cause they want to. Glad we have no insomniacs in the family. We believe in Nutrition, if the family gets enough vitamin b and magnesium in diets, they get sleepy when theyre supposed to.

Ukshep    25,443
8 hours ago, NEWB said:

I stare at those tiny screens and couldn't make out anything on a smartphone, thus I own a dinosaur slider phone.I don't know why people love smart phones, I guess cause they never learned how to type , so its their first foray into the worldwide net.  My kids prefer the Xbox in the family room on their 65 inch screen inch over those phones and if they need to get on the internet, its the PC, also in the family room.  Then at night they go to bed cause they want to. Glad we have no insomniacs in the family. We believe in Nutrition, if the family gets enough vitamin b and magnesium in diets, they get sleepy when theyre supposed to.

Yeh i don't understand the fascination with mobile devices. I've had 3 phones my entire life, 1st was this chunky ass brick motorola from the 90's, second was a nokia something 30, kept it to play snake hehe. And thirdly a 3rd gen iphone. All pristine condition and still working.

And everyone else i know has had. 100's of phones in that time period. I hate that but i also feel the same way about those that buy cars just as frequently as phones. I mean seriously if it still works just keep using it.

6 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Yeh i don't understand the fascination with mobile devices. I've had 3 phones my entire life, 1st was this chunky ass brick motorola from the 90's, second was a nokia something 30, kept it to play snake hehe. And thirdly a 3rd gen iphone. All pristine condition and still working.

And everyone else i know has had. 100's of phones in that time period. I hate that but i also feel the same way about those that buy cars just as frequently as phones. I mean seriously if it still works just keep using it.

I think people keep changing their cars, so that they can keep turning it in on a trade and keep most of the value of the car against depreciation...so what's the game there?  Does it stop depreciation, because everytime you buy a new car it depreciates in value right off the lot...they probably figure if they keep the car forever and a day they won't get much for it, and then it costs more to keep it up, and then it's high mileage...but it's also easier to repair once you've tinkered with it...

Ukshep    25,443
22 minutes ago, counterintelligence said:

I think people keep changing their cars, so that they can keep turning it in on a trade and keep most of the value of the car against depreciation...so what's the game there?  Does it stop depreciation, because everytime you buy a new car it depreciates in value right off the lot...they probably figure if they keep the car forever and a day they won't get much for it, and then it costs more to keep it up, and then it's high mileage...but it's also easier to repair once you've tinkered with it...

See thats also a scam to generate more revenue. New cars have a built in shelf-life then they fall apart FORCING a new purchase. This is why most people buy well before they need to avoid cars breaking down with insane costs because the warranty ran out.

Ditch new vehicles. Go older. Parts break less. Shits sturdier and its a lot cheaper to keep a 20-30 year old vehicle running most of the time with a little know how. Depending on the brand! The alternative is an endless buy/sell cycle that is designed to drain you of savings...

garlic    2,639

Don't get me started talking about "smart phones" There is nothing smart about having a hand held computer at your disposal 24/7!

Smart devices make people stupid! When I grew up you had to memorize phone numbers if you wanted to call someone. Now you just say to your phone "call home or call mom" and it does.

Your brain is a muscle just like any other muscle in your body. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Thanks to technology people's brains are shrinking. How many 10 digit phone numbers do you know?

Im speaking from experience. I used to know more than 20 phone numbers. Now I only know 4!

3 hours ago, CGK said:

Don't get me started talking about "smart phones" There is nothing smart about having a hand held computer at your disposal 24/7!

Smart devices make people stupid! When I grew up you had to memorize phone numbers if you wanted to call someone. Now you just say to your phone "call home or call mom" and it does.

Your brain is a muscle just like any other muscle in your body. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Thanks to technology people's brains are shrinking. How many 10 digit phone numbers do you know?

Im speaking from experience. I used to know more than 20 phone numbers. Now I only know 4!

It used to take 5 strong men to carry $20 worth of groceries...now a 5 year old can do it...