Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

timetraveler2015

NSA ran surveillance from AT&T building in New York

Al Boe ‏@AlBoeNEWS  12m12 minutes ago

#BREAKING: NSA has operated a top-secret surveillance program out of an iconic AT&T building in Manhattan, documents show - The Intercept

0 replies6 retweets6 likes

Titanpointe

The NSA’s Spy Hub in New York, Hidden in Plain Sight

THEY CALLED IT Project X. It was an unusually audacious, highly sensitive assignment: to build a massive skyscraper, capable of withstanding an atomic blast, in the middle of New York City. It would have no windows, 29 floors with three basement levels, and enough food to last 1,500 people two weeks in the event of a catastrophe.

But the building’s primary purpose would not be to protect humans from toxic radiation amid nuclear war. Rather, the fortified skyscraper would safeguard powerful computers, cables, and switchboards. It would house one of the most important telecommunications hubs in the United States — the world’s largest center for processing long-distance phone calls, operated by the New York Telephone Company, a subsidiary of AT&T.

The building was designed by the architectural firm John Carl Warnecke & Associates, whose grand vision was to create a communication nerve center like a “20th century fortress, with spears and arrows replaced by protons and neutrons laying quiet siege to an army of machines within.”

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/16/the-nsas-spy-hub-in-new-york-hidden-in-plain-sight/

Check this out as well:

AT&T, NASA Team To Create Traffic Management For Drones

by Chase Martin, Yesterday, 9:15 PM

Two major organizations in the U.S. are teaming up to create a system to manage the increasing number of devices in the sky and another is focused purely on using drones for entertainment purposes.

While Intel launched a new drone to create aerial lightshows, AT&T and NASA recently signed an agreement to research and establish a traffic management solution for such Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).

cont.: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/289093/att-nasa-team-to-create-traffic-management-for-d.html

"Entertainment purposes" involves the use of many networked drones working in concert to produce messages in the sky. Oftentimes only one operator is needed for an entire fleet.

While I don't doubt they're building the management system for their stated purposes, I have a sneaking suspicion many of the drones up there will be for surveillance. There have been more and more planes circling over cities, with cameras attached. They circle for hours, taking footage they can then use to track a given person's movement backward through time. Additionally, I believe they are purposefully misleading the public about the resolution of the footage, which I suspect is much higher than they admit. A few years ago, in Scientific American, there was an article about a hemispherical CCD capable of recording nearly 180 degree video, at a very high resolution. IIRC, the article mentioned how it could be used for detailed aerial footage.

We are knee-deep into the surveillance state, everyone. That old line, "if I'm doing nothing wrong, why should I care?" is a misdirection. The real problem is with all this surveillance it becomes more difficult to coordinate and overcome an oppressive government.