Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Mysterious 'ping' sound from sea floor baffles Igloolik

Cinnamon    23,144

Hunters in a remote community in Nunavut are concerned about a mysterious sound that appears to be coming from the sea floor.

The "pinging" sound, sometimes also described as a "hum" or "beep," has been heard in Fury and Hecla Strait — roughly 120 kilometres northwest of the hamlet of Igloolik — throughout the summer. 

Paul Quassa, a member of the legislative assembly, says whatever the cause, it's scaring the animals away. 

"That's one of the major hunting areas in the summer and winter because it's a polynya," an area of open water surrounded by ice that's abundant with sea mammals, he said. 

"And this time around, this summer, there were hardly any. And this became a suspicious thing."

The noise is "emanating from the sea floor," according to remarks Quassa made last month in the Nunavut legislature. 

<snip>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ping-beep-hum-sound-arctic-ocean-igloolik-1.3831861

This is really weird. Any ideas on what it is?  I am guessing it's something to do with the mapping.  

RabidWolf    1,074

Crab battles. The Crab Wars have begun! 

Or it is probably geological in origin.

I think we should fund an expedition to look into the crab war thing though. Bring butter. 

Jostler    2,216
40 minutes ago, RabidWolf said:

I think we should fund an expedition to look into the crab war thing though. Bring butter. 

Crab wars are really hyped up ...you know...just for the shock value.  In reality crabs are quite easy to deal with.  What you do is just grab an ice pick and shave one side right up to the middle.  Then set the unshaven side on fire. Yell "FIRE!" as loud as you can and as the crabs run out into the open, stab 'em with the ice pick.  Lil' buggers never know what hit 'em...crab war is over.

Yes, a bit of a trial but the outcome is certain.  In any case, crabs are nothing to clap about.  Scabs are usually gone by the time the hair regrows so all the unsightly pockmarks never become much of an issue.

who hid my meds this morning?  <grin>

Brio    1,038
5 minutes ago, Jostler said:

Crab wars are really hyped up ...you know...just for the shock value.  In reality crabs are quite easy to deal with.  What you do is just grab an ice pick and shave one side right up to the middle.  Then set the unshaven side on fire. Yell "FIRE!" as loud as you can and as the crabs run out into the open, stab 'em with the ice pick.  Lil' buggers never know what hit 'em...crab war is over.

Yes, a bit of a trial but the outcome is certain.  In any case, crabs are nothing to clap about.  Scabs are usually gone by the time the hair regrows so all the unsightly pockmarks never become much of an issue.

:lmao::clap1::lmao: erhmagerd...

Tarmalen    1,311
10 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Hunters in a remote community in Nunavut are concerned about a mysterious sound that appears to be coming from the sea floor.

The "pinging" sound, sometimes also described as a "hum" or "beep," has been heard in Fury and Hecla Strait — roughly 120 kilometres northwest of the hamlet of Igloolik — throughout the summer. 

Paul Quassa, a member of the legislative assembly, says whatever the cause, it's scaring the animals away. 

"That's one of the major hunting areas in the summer and winter because it's a polynya," an area of open water surrounded by ice that's abundant with sea mammals, he said. 

"And this time around, this summer, there were hardly any. And this became a suspicious thing."

The noise is "emanating from the sea floor," according to remarks Quassa made last month in the Nunavut legislature. 

<snip>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ping-beep-hum-sound-arctic-ocean-igloolik-1.3831861

This is really weird. Any ideas on what it is?  I am guessing it's something to do with the mapping.  

It's the homing beacon for my Tardis.

I may have time traveled under the influence and misplaced it. 

Thanks for finding it! :D

Iamawake    241
1 hour ago, RabidWolf said:

1 hour ago, Jostler said:

Crabs go fine with some :weed1: and :drinkingwine: Lmfao.

Remember boys, not to much oil on your guns, makes them jam in these temps, don't forget to pack some warm clothes on your exodus out, and yes we have plenty of crabs for you, if you make it. :chuckle: