Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Potayto, potahto: Controversial new ‘anti-famine’ GMO potato strains approved

Cinnamon    23,102

The US Department of Agriculture has given its seal of approval to two new strains of genetically engineered potatoes. By using double stranded RNA, the potatoes have been engineered to resist the pathogen responsible for the Irish potato famine.

There could be two new potatoes hitting the soil next spring after the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) signed off on two more genetically modified potatoes from Simplot, an agribusiness based in Idaho, on Monday.

The only obstacle for the new potatoes becoming available on the market is a voluntary review process from the FDA, much to the chagrin of GMO skeptics.

Jeffrey Smith, founder of the Institute for Responsible Technology, expressed concern for not only the FDA’s voluntary testing program but for the genetic modifying process the potatoes have undergone, in an interview with RT.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/usa/365161-gmo-sciene-potatoes-approved/

Now I can't trust a potato anymore. 

Dewdrop    52

I can't believe the environmentalists gave Obama a free pass for installing a 2 time Monsanto shill exec as a senior adviser in the FDA... Soros- Monsanto- Obama. Sickening that they get a pass, the half of the Democratic Party is nothing but faux socially conscious yuppies, driving $40,000 German SUV's, who spout the indoctrination...

AtomicFacepalm   
AtomicFacepalm

99% of the food you eat is " genetically modified " even if it doesn't state it on the package

You guys make this silly assumption that methods like HGT { Horizontal Gene Transfer } are the only kinds of " genetic modification " when in fact that is so far from the truth it's just mind-numbing

Please tell me you don't think people just discovered fruits and vegetables growing in the wild that were identical to the fruits and veggies you see in the modern grocery stores, because that would be bad

There is way too much scientific ignorance in the fringe community, makes people have adverse reactions where none are really necessary 

Smh   
Smh

Just to give you a simple example of old-school " Genetic modification "

Colchicine

A mutagenetic compound found in the bulb of a flower { the autumn crocus }

It's been used for TONS of breeding because....drumroll please.......... it scrambles genes { GASP! THE HORROR ! }

If you've ever eaten a seedless melon, you've eaten a " GMO " made with this dangerous stuff, you probably have several extra heads growing off your back as we speak

or not

I suggest a read of the " Botanical use " of colchicine on the wiki page { for a good start }

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine

What Monsanto does with methods like HGT, is just a controlled form of what colchicine does

OK ?

The big difference between colchicine-induced gene transfer and HGT is that colchicine-induced gene transfer is RANDOM and not able to be controlled, iow, they hope to produce an interesting cultivar { mutation } by treating thousands of seeds, and HGT specifically transfers the exact genes they want to produce the desirable characteristics in the cultivar, thereby eliminating the need to waste time hoping for random mutations that give the same effects as a HGT

You've all been eating " GMO's " whether you know it or not

Not all things in the store are marked " GMO " precisely for the reason that people do not understand what it is and have reactions when none are needed

I feel pretty safe making these claims because I am a 2nd generation chef with 25+ years in the business and an education in horticulture / botany / agriculture / food sciences, iow, I actually know what I talking about 

Cinnamon    23,102
3 hours ago, AtomicFacepalm said:

99% of the food you eat is " genetically modified " even if it doesn't state it on the package

You guys make this silly assumption that methods like HGT { Horizontal Gene Transfer } are the only kinds of " genetic modification " when in fact that is so far from the truth it's just mind-numbing

Please tell me you don't think people just discovered fruits and vegetables growing in the wild that were identical to the fruits and veggies you see in the modern grocery stores, because that would be bad

There is way too much scientific ignorance in the fringe community, makes people have adverse reactions where none are really necessary 

There is a huge difference in hybridization and gmo. 

Dewdrop    52
4 hours ago, Smh said:

Just to give you a simple example of old-school " Genetic modification "

Colchicine

A mutagenetic compound found in the bulb of a flower { the autumn crocus }

It's been used for TONS of breeding because....drumroll please.......... it scrambles genes { GASP! THE HORROR ! }

If you've ever eaten a seedless melon, you've eaten a " GMO " made with this dangerous stuff, you probably have several extra heads growing off your back as we speak

or not

I suggest a read of the " Botanical use " of colchicine on the wiki page { for a good start }

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine

What Monsanto does with methods like HGT, is just a controlled form of what colchicine does

OK ?

The big difference between colchicine-induced gene transfer and HGT is that colchicine-induced gene transfer is RANDOM and not able to be controlled, iow, they hope to produce an interesting cultivar { mutation } by treating thousands of seeds, and HGT specifically transfers the exact genes they want to produce the desirable characteristics in the cultivar, thereby eliminating the need to waste time hoping for random mutations that give the same effects as a HGT

You've all been eating " GMO's " whether you know it or not

Not all things in the store are marked " GMO " precisely for the reason that people do not understand what it is and have reactions when none are needed

I feel pretty safe making these claims because I am a 2nd generation chef with 25+ years in the business and an education in horticulture / botany / agriculture / food sciences, iow, I actually know what I talking about 

I'm no botanist but there's a difference between hybrids and gene spliced gmo's with several different species combined and round up ready sterile seeds that would never appear in nature. Six generation seedless watermelon hybrid seeds are not what I consider gmo's. Hybrids are produced by multiple generations of polyploid induced plants and most have been used for decades and deemed safe as you know. Hybrids are also produced randomly in nature. The Monsanto products do not under go proper decades testing to see if there are any long term effects, that cannot be challenged. I'll take my heirloom seeds that have been hand saved for over 60+ years by my family and passed down from a family friend before that. Organically grown, compost and natural fertilizer. I have horses raised without chemical wormers and grass, my vegetables grow like weeds, yields are fantastic.

As a survivor of some serious health issues,  I reject the current food production protocols, like apples that sit for 9-10 months in refrigerators after being sprayed with chemicals and waxed... Are some gmo's safe ? sure some are but let's not use humans for the testing and years later say whoops... So many more people have food allergies now, bowel issues, gluten issues, etc...why ? We need to figure that out.

Monsanto is well known for their bullying and intimidation techniques as well. I have a friend who grows hay and corn and had to burn his fields because some Monsanto corn was found in his field, even though he used non Monsanto saved seed to sow the field. He said burning the field was cheaper than paying off Monsanto...They tested his field without permission, horrible people, have caused farmers to commit suicide here in the mid west by their intimidating tactics. They want to control the worlds food supply ultimately, patent animals like pigs... No abuses could take with that monopolization could they ? Wretched company but they are being exposed.

Smh   
Smh

" Six generation seedless watermelon hybrid seeds are not what I consider gmo's "

That's because you are likely woefully ignorant of what constitutes " genetic modification ", which seems to be par for the course in the fringe community

Good thing I have the experience do, plus the experience of working with a biochemist who owns his own pharmaceutical company start-up dealing solely with natural products chemistry, or I would believe a lot of things that aren't true as well

The fact of the matter is that 99% of the people running their mouths about " GMO's " don't know the first things about them or the food they eat

I personally really couldn't care less what Monsanto does, mainly because I know what goes on in the industry of food science makes GMO's seem pale by comparison

I'm glad people found something to make a ruckus about, but if they really dug deep their heads would spin  

Cinnamon    23,102
3 hours ago, Smh said:

" Six generation seedless watermelon hybrid seeds are not what I consider gmo's "

That's because you are likely woefully ignorant of what constitutes " genetic modification ", which seems to be par for the course in the fringe community

Good thing I have the experience do, plus the experience of working with a biochemist who owns his own pharmaceutical company start-up dealing solely with natural products chemistry, or I would believe a lot of things that aren't true as well

The fact of the matter is that 99% of the people running their mouths about " GMO's " don't know the first things about them or the food they eat

I personally really couldn't care less what Monsanto does, mainly because I know what goes on in the industry of food science makes GMO's seem pale by comparison

I'm glad people found something to make a ruckus about, but if they really dug deep their heads would spin  

you can change your name but you can't change your way of speaking to people, conspiraderp