Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

‘Mechanical failure’ caused training bombs to drop on Michigan

Cinnamon    23,078

Seven pieces of training ordnance “fell off” a fighter plane during a training flight, landing in a forest in central Michigan. Military officials believe the incident was caused by mechanical problems.

Six training bombs and one training missile ended up in a remote wooded area near Luzerne, Michigan on October 25, after they fell off an Air National Guard airplane flying from Selfridge Air National Guard Base near Detroit to Camp Grayling in the north of the state.

No one was injured in the incident, according to local TV stations WWTV and WPBN.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/usa/365137-training-bombs-michigan-accident/

What is a "training" bomb and missile?  One that doesn't explode?  How could so many fall off an airplane?  

someone    15
2 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

What is a "training" bomb and missile?  One that doesn't explode?  How could so many fall off an airplane?  

A training bomb is a...training bomb. Almost certainly it was a BDU-33 (Click for pic) and as for the training missile, probably AIM-9. 

The military standard 25 lb. practice bomb is used as a training aid for all Air Force and Navy pilots. With various bomb rack configurations, they are used on almost every fixed-wing fighter/bomber aircraft in the U.S. inventory. Commonly referred to as the MK-76 or BDU-33, practice bombs have a spotting charge that releases a cloud of smoke on impact. Practice bombs are used to simulate the MK-82 in low drag configuration. They are made from a small cast-iron and steel non-explosive ordnance that is used in training to simulate actual bombs. Practice bombs are also used to qualify systems and personnel. Manufacturer linky

As for the mechanical failure causing all of this to drop...yeah, it happens. It's a little strange that both the rack for the BDU's would drop AND a missile, as they would be on different pylons, but I suppose one couldn't rule that strange occurrence out altogether. Perhaps one or the other failed, dropped, and to counterbalance the weight the pilot dropped the other. Who knows. 

When I was in, we had four years in a row with something going wrong... one time a pilot had to make the quick decision to drop LIVE munitions over our second MSA, luckily no one was injured, but he knew that particular area would be the least likely place for anyone to be at the time. Another time a pilot ejected a fuel tank over the lake because the aircraft said there was a fire. Shit happens. 

Team Uzi   
Team Uzi

Wanna hear a cockamamie story from a true Michigander?

Luzerne, Michigan is the making of all backwoods horror movie you have ever seen.

Two brothers would go out during deer season and hunt hunters.

I crap you not!

What they did to those misfortune hunters would make your skin crawl.

Some folks say they were government experiments that escaped from the Gaylord military base to the north.

So many murders in that village that if all the victims stood up under a full moon.....

...well lets just say that there would be a serious population problem.

Quiet Storm    932
1 hour ago, Team Uzi said:

Wanna hear a cockamamie story from a true Michigander?

Luzerne, Michigan is the making of all backwoods horror movie you have ever seen.

Two brothers would go out during deer season and hunt hunters.

I crap you not!

What they did to those misfortune hunters would make your skin crawl.

Some folks say they were government experiments that escaped from the Gaylord military base to the north.

So many murders in that village that if all the victims stood up under a full moon.....

...well lets just say that there would be a serious population problem.

Really!!!   heres another tie in to that town,  during the interviews with some of the kids who were involved in the Franklin Cover-up,  they said some of the bodies of the kids were pushed out of planes while traveling across country to do their sex slave jobs,  guess where they were pushed out at. 

Luzerne,  they were told that the hoods (Luciferians)  would take care of it from there.   

COBO Member    3,350
2 hours ago, someone said:

A training bomb is a...training bomb. Almost certainly it was a BDU-33 (Click for pic) and as for the training missile, probably AIM-9. 

As for the mechanical failure causing all of this to drop...yeah, it happens. It's a little strange that both the rack for the BDU's would drop AND a missile, as they would be on different pylons, but I suppose one couldn't rule that strange occurrence out altogether. Perhaps one or the other failed, dropped, and to counterbalance the weight the pilot dropped the other. Who knows. 

When I was in, we had four years in a row with something going wrong... one time a pilot had to make the quick decision to drop LIVE munitions over our second MSA, luckily no one was injured, but he knew that particular area would be the least likely place for anyone to be at the time. Another time a pilot ejected a fuel tank over the lake because the aircraft said there was a fire. Shit happens. 

Did I miss something in the OP link? You're saying the pylons fell off along with the "blue bombs"? I don't know about the USAF/ANG, but the only "training" missile I ever knew of simply had an IR sensor in the nose and transmitted info to a ground station to confirm a pilot had a good shot at that moment.

The pylon question is because it sounds to me that either their was a problem in the weapons panel or somebody didn't do the static checks before loading up the ordnance.

Team Uzi   
Team Uzi
38 minutes ago, Quiet Storm said:

Really!!!   heres another tie in to that town,  during the interviews with some of the kids who were involved in the Franklin Cover-up,  they said some of the bodies of the kids were pushed out of planes while traveling across country to do their sex slave jobs,  guess where they were pushed out at. 

Luzerne,  they were told that the hoods (Luciferians)  would take care of it from there.   

Rathdrum, Idaho.

Similar story there.

someone    15
On 11/3/2016 at 4:43 AM, COBO Member said:

Did I miss something in the OP link? You're saying the pylons fell off along with the "blue bombs"? I don't know about the USAF/ANG, but the only "training" missile I ever knew of simply had an IR sensor in the nose and transmitted info to a ground station to confirm a pilot had a good shot at that moment.

The pylon question is because it sounds to me that either their was a problem in the weapons panel or somebody didn't do the static checks before loading up the ordnance.

Whoops, sorry. I was kind of assuming a few things, so definitely don't take that as fact that the whole rack fell off. It would be odd for more than one piece of equipment to become detached, which is why I thought probably the bomb rack came off and then he dropped an inert missile to compensate. Any way you look at it, it's odd. 

As far as the missiles- you're right. They would be inert along with the rest of the load but probably have an active seeker head. Sometimes they do fly a complete dummy though, which is in fact used just as a ballast. 

COBO Member    3,350
22 minutes ago, someone said:

Whoops, sorry. I was kind of assuming a few things, so definitely don't take that as fact that the whole rack fell off. It would be odd for more than one piece of equipment to become detached, which is why I thought probably the bomb rack came off and then he dropped an inert missile to compensate. Any way you look at it, it's odd. 

As far as the missiles- you're right. They would be inert along with the rest of the load but probably have an active seeker head. Sometimes they do fly a complete dummy though, which is in fact used just as a ballast. 

No apologies needed.

Heh heh "ballast". We sent a Phantom on a x-country to NOLA to pick up frozen shrimp for a sqdn party. Filled two wing blivets and they headed back to Miramar. Smoke in the cockpit, so they had to stay in Denver for 2 days. Shrimp didn't know they weren't supposed to stay frozen. They D/L'd the tanks in the hangar and didn't take them outside to clean them out. CAG was hot...entire hangar reeked!