Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Stan Hail

Facebook's "free basics" internet access: a globalist trojan horse

Stan Hail    213

"Facebook has been in talks for months with U.S. government officials and wireless carriers with an eye toward unveiling an American version of an app that has caused controversy abroad, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

The social media giant is trying to determine how to roll out its program, known as Free Basics, in the United States without triggering the regulatory scrutiny that effectively killed a version of the app in India earlier this year. If Facebook succeeds with its U.S. agenda for Free Basics — which has not been previously reported — it would mark a major victory for the company as it seeks to connect millions more to the Web, and to its own platform."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/10/06/facebook-is-talking-to-the-white-house-about-giving-you-free-internet-heres-why-that-may-be-controversial/

They are targeting folks who can't get or can't afford regular internet offering free internet access through a mobile ap that will not count against the users data cap but the catch is that you will only have access to sites that are approved by/in league with  facebook. To me this is another attack on the poor (and likely others) by controlling the flow of information that is available to it's users to keep them uniformed or only informed with facebook approved information. It would also hurt sites/companies that don't have or can't get a deal with facebook. To the users of this service facebook would BE the internet.

I remember when the internet was invented, or should say, given to public access, think it was in 1992, don't think it is gonna stay in its current form, much longer, as the article you posted would indicate.

Full Throttle    2,068
1 minute ago, Team Uzi said:

Those darn elitist.

Gotta put their noses in everything.

People dumb enough to post their own dossier though.

FAGBOOK SUX.

https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/4-2/3bLw9dYH3z-10.png

The latest bigtime LOL I have about people not wanting to delete their accounts is from my  cousins,  and I quote directly. 

I HAVE OVER 25000 LIKES!!!  YA WANT ME TO JUST DELETE THAT!!  TOOK ME YEARS TO GET THEM!!! 

Umm,  WOW!!! 

Team Uzi   
Team Uzi
3 hours ago, Quiet Storm said:

The latest bigtime LOL I have about people not wanting to delete their accounts is from my  cousins,  and I quote directly. 

Umm,  WOW!!! 

Additionally, these zombies can't get dressed in the morning or even decide on which clothing to wear until they have posted pictures of each outfit and see how many "likes" each outfit receives.

A very dependent group.

Another passive aggressive weirdness is to "unlike" someone which is ridiculous but people break down and cry at the mere thought.

Full Throttle    2,068
5 hours ago, Stan Hail said:

"Facebook has been in talks for months with U.S. government officials and wireless carriers with an eye toward unveiling an American version of an app that has caused controversy abroad, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

The social media giant is trying to determine how to roll out its program, known as Free Basics, in the United States without triggering the regulatory scrutiny that effectively killed a version of the app in India earlier this year. If Facebook succeeds with its U.S. agenda for Free Basics — which has not been previously reported — it would mark a major victory for the company as it seeks to connect millions more to the Web, and to its own platform."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/10/06/facebook-is-talking-to-the-white-house-about-giving-you-free-internet-heres-why-that-may-be-controversial/

They are targeting folks who can't get or can't afford regular internet offering free internet access through a mobile ap that will not count against the users data cap but the catch is that you will only have access to sites that are approved by/in league with  facebook. To me this is another attack on the poor (and likely others) by controlling the flow of information that is available to it's users to keep them uniformed or only informed with facebook approved information. It would also hurt sites/companies that don't have or can't get a deal with facebook. To the users of this service facebook would BE the internet.

AOL used to be like that.  They were,  at one time,  major players on, in,  and giving access to the masses of internet service.  

But then along came Cable modems,  broadband,  etc,  aol went all but nonexistent. 

Groove    2,344

This so reminds me of the movie "The Kingsmen" where Sam Jackson plays the super rich bad guy who owns almost everything and puts out free cell phones to everyone on the planet then puts out a frequency they his satellites to the phones that makes everyone go nuts and start fighting and killing everyone to depopulate the earth. Crazy times we live in right now! 

Jostler    2,222

Communication Satellite Lost in SpaceX Rocket Explosion Was Co-Leased by Facebook

This might have bought Africa some time :) 

A satellite co-leased by Facebook and intended to bring internet access to parts of sub-Saharan Africa, was destroyed on a launchpad in Florida today (Sept. 1), when the rocket meant to carry it to space exploded...

...The launch of AMOS-6 was a collaboration between Facebook and French-based satellite provider Eutelsat Communications, and would have been part of Internet.org, a "Facebook-led initiative with the goal of bringing internet access and the benefits of connectivity to the two-thirds of the world that doesn't have them,"...

Eutelsat reported that the satellite capacity was "optimised for community and Direct-to-User Internet access using affordable, off-the-shelf customer equipment."

The AMOS-6 satellite was owned by the Israeli-based satellite operator Space Communications (Spacecom) and was built in collaboration with Israeli Space Industries. The satellite was estimated to cost $195 million when the plan to build it was first announced.