Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

garlic

4Chan Is Closing?

garlic    2,639

I dont frequent the site but it is famous for a lot of reasons. They say its closing due to financial reasons but I can't help but think the Gov is behind this. There goes the internet!

4chan is running out of money

The infamous message board 4chan is struggling to stay afloat and will have to make changes to reduce costs, the site’s owner wrote in a post on Sunday. "4chan can't afford infrastructure costs, network fee, servers cost, CDN and etc, now," writes Hiroyuki Nisimura, who bought the site from its founder last year.

Nisimura says ads haven’t been effective enough to support the site, nor have subscriptions offering additional features. "We had tried to keep 4chan as is. But I failed," Nisimura writes. "I am sincerely sorry."

There are three options for 4chan to survive going forward, as far as Nisimura sees it: sell more subscriptions, include "much more" — and potentially even malicious — ads, or cut traffic to the site in half. That might be done by closing message boards, slowing down the site, or reducing the size of images that can be posted.

<snip>

Needless to say, the disappearance of 4chan could have a big impact on internet culture and many would not be sad to see it go. But it’s not totally clear how dire the situation is yet. Nisimura makes it sound bad (his post is titled "Winter is coming"), but he also proposes changes to save the site. Meanwhile, another infamous name — Martin Shkreli — says he’s interested in buying 4chan; he’s in touch with Nisimura, so maybe we’ll see how that remarkably bad combination turns out.

More: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/3/13155072/4chan-struggling-with-hosting-costs

garlic    2,639

It was responsible for leaking the naked photos of Jennifer Lawrence, convincing people they could charge their iPhone in the microwave and a series of bomb threats.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to 4chan - the internet's most infamous community message board.

The ability to post comments and share images anonymously on its anything-goes forums has been what has made the social networking website so appealing to users.

However, it appears the same ability to operate without names, very few rules and even less consequences has finally caught up with the controversial platform.

In an aptly titled post Winter is Coming, 4chan owner Hiroyuki Nishimura said the website could be in its final days.

"We had tried to keep 4chan as is. But I failed. I am sincerely sorry," he wrote on the thread.

More: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11722461

Cinnamon    28,899

I hope they're not going down, lots of good stuff there, like everywhere, when it's good it's great, but when it's bad it's baad. We're going to see a lot of changes when ICANN starts making their moves online, I'm afraid. 

garlic    2,639
20 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I hope they're not going down, lots of good stuff there, like everywhere, when it's good it's great, but when it's bad it's baad. We're going to see a lot of changes when ICANN starts making their moves online, I'm afraid. 

I think it has most likely already started. 4chan might be their first victim.

James   
James

The creator of 4chan has been critical of the site which he started as a self help site. A site in which people with problems in their life would be able to help others and relate the experiences which changed their lives for the better. He was pretty disgusted at what 4chan had become.

4chan has long been surpassed by reddit which is more effective in all areas...if you know where to look.