Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

We don't communicate anymore, we just connect

Cinnamon    28,889

Smartphones are distracting us to death—but we can fight back

As the World Wide Web has become a staple of modern life over the last 25 years, we’ve used it in ways that have forever changed our relationships with people and information. That’s come with a big drawback, one expert says: We appear to be living less in the present moment, and communicating less with each other.

Larry Rosen, a research psychologist and past chair of the psychology department at California State University, Dominguez Hills, studies the impact of technology on our lives. In his new book “The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World,” written with neuroscientist Adam Gazzaley of the University of California, San Francisco, he examines how communications technology might be making us miserable—and more prone to distraction.

<snip>

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/our-phones-are-distracting-us-to-death-but-we-can-fight-back-2016-09-16

I went to lunch with a friend of mine the other day, she was on her phone texting and talking the entire time. I had turned off my phone and put it in my purse so we could talk to each other... no need to go to lunch with her again!  We probably exchanged 5 sentences in that hour. 

Brio    1,038
3 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I went to lunch with a friend of mine the other day, she was on her phone texting and talking the entire time. I had turned off my phone and put it in my purse so we could talk to each other... no need to go to lunch with her again!  We probably exchanged 5 sentences in that hour. 

In 3 minutes you communicated more with COP than you did face to face with your friend, so the medium is not to blame.

Ukshep    25,399
1 hour ago, Brio said:

In 3 minutes you communicated more with COP than you did face to face with your friend, so the medium is not to blame.

I blame the medium, The unregulated spread of mobile tech into childrens lives created cultural and social monsters... with a lack of respect for themselves and the world around them. Before anyone realized what was happening it was the norm. And now this is how we communicate.

WhiteHorse    608

Next we will have a device that uses a device to communicate for us, we simply can't be bothered by such mundane tasks like communicating. 

Brio    1,038
36 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

I blame the medium, The unregulated spread of mobile tech into childrens lives created cultural and social monsters... with a lack of respect for themselves and the world around them. Before anyone realized what was happening it was the norm. And now this is how we communicate.

That's like blaming guns for killing. When/how do people take responsibility for their own behavior?

Ukshep    25,399
3 minutes ago, Brio said:

That's like blaming guns for killing. When/how do people take responsibility for their own behavior?

Its now about owning up to it! It's about a piece of tech with an untested effect on the masses, society and culture as a whole. If people had known it would destroy so much it may have been altered to not negatively effect human interaction so much through proper education and suggested limits on what is safe usage.

Too late now so its irrelevant anyway!

Cinnamon    28,889
2 hours ago, Brio said:

It's not like we're sitting face to face on here. I don't get your point. I wasn't the one sitting there texting and talking on my phone with a real person sitting there enduring that nonsense from them.  I expected some conversation when I went to lunch with her, but as I said, I won't do it again. lol

Brio    1,038
2 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

I don't get your point.

I'm saying that using the same medium (well, meaning electronic) you managed to effectively convey your point. It isn't the medium of exchange as much as the audience not focusing exclusively internally. You spoke, I listened and responded. It isn't the cell phone, it's the people that lack the ability to focus externally. And that -as you said- is frustrating. I agree with you Cinn, entirely.

Cinnamon    28,889
Just now, Brio said:

I'm saying that using the same medium (well, meaning electronic) you managed to effectively convey your point. It isn't the medium of exchange as much as the audience not focusing exclusively internally. You spoke, I listened and responded. It isn't the cell phone, it's the people that lack the ability to focus externally. And that -as you said- is frustrating. I agree with you Cinn, entirely.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, it's actually pretty hurtful to have a friend you haven't seen in months act that way. :(

Brio    1,038
Just now, Cinnamon said:

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, it's actually pretty hurtful to have a friend you haven't seen in months act that way. :(

Extremely disappointing? Yes. Like you don't matter, like nothing matters more than that phone. Sad.

Tigerlilly    143

I see the issue being about how people use technology.   There's been good and bad influence in my life.  My family is closer because we text in a group message throughout our days and share alot that way. My work group also group texts alot and we snap chat...it has really made us closer.  Funny that a silly app has done that but it has.  The bad..there are times my hubby and kids (and me) are distracted on a phone when we should be talking with each other.  Truthfully though...if it wasnt the phone it would prob be the T.V.  It takes alot of energy to connect with people and everyone needs some down time.   I sometimes get wore out answering my phone and texts..like a leash when I just want some quiet time.

Brio    1,038
4 minutes ago, Tigerlilly said:

like a leash 

Yup. You won't be swatted for not  replying. In fact there may be relief if you don't.