Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Not apples! They've gone too far now!

Cinnamon    24,840

The apple doesn’t fall far from the genetically modified tree: USDA approves GMO fruit

The national nightmare of apples turning slightly brown is coming to an end: The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) gave commercial approval last week to the Arctic Fuji, a genetically modified apple that appears no different than its natural counterparts save for the fact doesn’t turn brown.

Apple flesh turns brown through the natural process of oxidation, but the people over at Okanagan Specialty Fruits hope to make this the way of the past with their Arctic Apples. Their science apples have been engineered to “silence” the polyphenol oxidase (PPO) enzyme that causes oxidation in apples.

While this may not seem important, Okanagan Specialty Fruits claims that browning is responsible for 40 percent of apple waste.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/usa/361268-gmo-apple-arctic-fuji/

:hammer: USDA!  Omg! Somebody just make the government and all their minions disappear! 

Cinnamon    24,840
4 minutes ago, Jim Varneys ghost said:

This keeps going I would not be surprised if we all started growing branches from our foreheads.

:chuckle: I'll be checking often! 

Malevolent    2,942

The horse ain't gonna be happy either..he likes a little brown-iron infused apple.. 

These fools should take all that research money and invest it into something that actually helps humans sustain a healthy living and not in over-preserving "plastic" food which may even have a diminished nutritional value!  But no, fvck the humans, let's see how much more money we can extort from the fools..

Reminds me of the book of Enoch. All the tampering with genetics and creations of franken creatures and plants. All of this cannot be good for mankind to tamper with things that are natural and pure. As in the days of Noah comes to mind

14 minutes ago, Malevolent said:

The horse ain't gonna be happy either..he likes a little brown-iron infused apple.. 

These fools should take all that research money and invest it into something that actually helps humans sustain a healthy living and not in over-preserving "plastic" food which may even have a diminished nutritional value!  But no, fvck the humans, let's see how much more money we can extort from the fools..

Its funny when you look at things we eat today such as corn. Maze was much more nutritional but harder to cultivate. May as well chew on a cardboard box and pass up the corn.

Yes I exaggerate a little , but not much

Ukshep    21,648
3 hours ago, Jim Varneys ghost said:

This keeps going I would not be surprised if we all started growing branches from our foreheads.

Some have other things growing there heheh

Eve    267
5 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

The apple doesn’t fall far from the genetically modified tree: USDA approves GMO fruit

The national nightmare of apples turning slightly brown is coming to an end: The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) gave commercial approval last week to the Arctic Fuji, a genetically modified apple that appears no different than its natural counterparts save for the fact doesn’t turn brown.

Apple flesh turns brown through the natural process of oxidation, but the people over at Okanagan Specialty Fruits hope to make this the way of the past with their Arctic Apples. Their science apples have been engineered to “silence” the polyphenol oxidase (PPO) enzyme that causes oxidation in apples.

While this may not seem important, Okanagan Specialty Fruits claims that browning is responsible for 40 percent of apple waste.

<snip>

https://www.rt.com/usa/361268-gmo-apple-arctic-fuji/

:hammer: USDA!  Omg! Somebody just make the government and all their minions disappear! 

Well ... "fresh apples" in supermarkets in the States are already around a year old thanks to cryogenic freezing (yes, really!). In Europe the shelf life is 3 - 5 months, however thanks to a company called SmartFresh (which is illegal in Europe), apples in the States can be stored for up to a year. The apples are picked ripe and fresh and begin a quick process of chemically cleaning them, which also removes the natural wax coating (that naturally helps apples fight the rotting process) only to reapply an edible wax coating. Then the apples are placed in a storage container that lowers the temperature to just around 0*C and pumps out most of the oxygen. SmartFresh is then pumped into the rooms preventing them from oxidising.  

So now, thanks to GMO, they can probably be stored even longer ... 

Don't get me started on zombie oranges used to make "fresh" orange juice. 

Eve    267
3 minutes ago, CTHunter! said:

Do you know the story about bananas?

You mean how the bananas in the store can't naturally be grown? They have been so modified that the seeds present in store-bought bananas could never actually go about growing more bananas... 

Have you tried taking in nutrients like a plant? :biggrin:

grav   
grav

Don't forget Frankenbees, bred to survive all pesticides made by MonSatan and other toxin producers. Yesterday I drove through an entire parish (county) where all the roadsides had been sprayed with weedkillers. A few goldenrods had stood up to the application. They are an important late food source for bees,  as are wild asters. So they will have to bump up the glyphosates to kill goldenrod more effectively. They don't cause sinus allergies. Ragweed does.

CTHunter!    15
1 hour ago, Eve said:

You mean how the bananas in the store can't naturally be grown? They have been so modified that the seeds present in store-bought bananas could never actually go about growing more bananas... 

Have you tried taking in nutrients like a plant? :biggrin:

yes to bananas, for all I know I've never had a natural one my whole life?