Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

Fugates of Kentucky: Skin Bluer than Lake Louise

Cinnamon    28,948

Benjamin "Benjy" Stacy so frightened maternity doctors with the color of his skin -- "as Blue as Lake Louise" -- that he was rushed just hours after his birth in 1975 to University of Kentucky Medical Center.

As a transfusion was being readied, the baby's grandmother suggested to doctors that he looked like the "blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek." Relatives described the boy's great-grandmother Luna Fugate as "blue all over," and "the bluest woman I ever saw."

In an unusual story that involves both genetics and geography, an entire family from isolated Appalachia was tinged blue. Their ancestral line began six generations earlier with a French orphan, Martin Fugate, who settled in Eastern Kentucky.

Doctors don't see much of the rare blood disorder today, because mountain people have dispersed and the family gene pool is much more diverse.

But the Fugates' story still offers a window into a medical mystery that was solved through modern genetics and the sleuth-like energy of Dr. Madison Cawein III, a hematologist at the University of Kentucky's Lexington Medical Clinic.

<snip>

https://gma.yahoo.com/fugates-kentucky-skin-bluer-lake-louise-200247843--abc-news.html

When I first saw the title to this I was wondering if they od'd on colloidial silver...

Full Throttle    2,115

I knew some Fugates,  and they were from Kentucky.  No blue skin though. Although the old man,  Grandpa,  his lips would turn blue when he was angered.