Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

People

I want to write about people.  But, I wonder if I even know enough about human nature to do it.  No doubt, I have no formal education such as psychology to qualify me to write about them, rather, us.  All I can do is pontificate on what I have seen and have come to understand in my limited view.  

People who are angry and hurt act out in so many different ways.  Some sink into depression and withdraw.  Others go looking for trouble where ever they can find it.  Some people bully others to make themselves feel better.  The question I have is, how does one snap out of that? 

I talked to a friend of mine who is a psychologist and he told me something.  He said that the human mind can only stand being in a state of depression for a certain length of time.  That's why depressed people have some good days.  The mind simply cannot take being depressed all of the time. 

Today it seems as if any negative emotion is not allowed in the medical industry.  If your dog died, a family member is sick, you divorced, you have money problems or any one of many things that can cause you to feel bad, it seems that it's chocked into a category of mental disability on the person's part who is experiencing it.  They need happy pills because they shouldn't react in a normal way to these things?  

When did reacting to negative things with negative emotions take on a label that needs medical treatment? 

It's normal to cry when you're sad, it's normal to act out when you're angry (as long as you don't harm others) and it's normal to be depressed when you can see no end in sight to bad things that are happening to you.  A doctor is not the answer to normal people reacting to shitty things that happen to them.  They just need the time to work them out on their own. 

My point?  I don't know.  I guess I don't have one.  But here's a hug to each and every one of you who are experiencing things like I described and just know that time heals almost all wounds.  The real saying is it heals all wounds, but it really doesn't. 

Love,

Cinnamon

grav

Weird is the new normal. I know a lot of people who stay depressed or pop happy pills, which make you crazy after a while, imo.

I am not joking either. I don't know if it's the food or our idle modern lifestyle. Definitely indoor living. I used to see Goth girls (and boys) who wore black all the time. It's a phase for lots of teens. And it was common in the 1800s for some reason. Mark Twain even wrote about it. I was a happy-go-lucky puppy all my life, as were my sisters and brother. 

There are people who have terrible suffering but don't let it get them down. 

Mos def a plague in affluent societies, not tolerated in "primitive" cultures. 

@Cinnamon

I think you are spot on.  I have a little experience with psychology.  

I have a theory that children are not taught coping mechanisms.  This causes all kinds of problems that requires them to run off to a "professional."  

When I was a kid and I got mad at someone, we took it outside and beat the crap out of eachother. Then it was over.  When I was sad my dad would tell me eat some rocks.  My mom would tell me everything was going to get better. She'd cry with me and hug me if I needed that.  If it drug on too long, she'd refer me to my father.  

Here is another theory.  I think depression is usually nothing more than a preconceived notion that is pounded into our heads everyday.  Life is peachy and we all will come out on top. Oh... you lost your game?  Have a trophy anyway.  Oh you are failing, move on to the next grade anyway. (My wife is a teacher and has told me it is very difficult to hold a student back)  

It all comes back to coping mechanisms.  We HAVE to learn as children how to deal with loss (that's why I think pets are important),  how to deal with rejection and competition.  Want a trophy?  You gotta earn it.  Want to go to 7th grade?  Prove it with your grades. 

We are a touchy Feely society now and some people think that something has to be wrong with them to get attention.  Attention whores... j/k... but really. 

A real case of depression could need medication.  But doctors don't draw that line because if someone says they are depressed and the doctor tells them to eat rocks and that person kills themselves.... whooo boy... that doctor would be sued to kingdom come.  So they take the easy route and prescribe, prescribe, prescribe.  Then the person gets addicted.  That becomes their new normal.  

When I was in college, I entertained the idea of becoming a psychiatrist which requires med school since they can prescribe medication.   I went and observed several and it was just that... prescribe, prescribe, prescribe.   I quickly realized that was not what I wanted to do.  Family doctors do most of the prescribing though, fyi.  Most people don't consult a psychiatrist.  

I didn't intend this to be so long.  But coping mechanisms.  That's the problem, in my opinion.  

KeyMaster
Just now, Cinnamon said:

I want to write about people.  But, I wonder if I even know enough about human nature to do it.  No doubt, I have no formal education such as psychology to qualify me to write about them, rather, us.  All I can do is pontificate on what I have seen and have come to understand in my limited view.  

People who are angry and hurt act out in so many different ways.  Some sink into depression and withdraw.  Others go looking for trouble where ever they can find it.  Some people bully others to make themselves feel better.  The question I have is, how does one snap out of that? 

I talked to a friend of mine who is a psychologist and he told me something.  He said that the human mind can only stand being in a state of depression for a certain length of time.  That's why depressed people have some good days.  The mind simply cannot take being depressed all of the time. 

Today it seems as if any negative emotion is not allowed in the medical industry.  If your dog died, a family member is sick, you divorced, you have money problems or any one of many things that can cause you to feel bad, it seems that it's chocked into a category of mental disability on the person's part who is experiencing it.  They need happy pills because they shouldn't react in a normal way to these things?  

When did reacting to negative things with negative emotions take on a label that needs medical treatment? 

It's normal to cry when you're sad, it's normal to act out when you're angry (as long as you don't harm others) and it's normal to be depressed when you can see no end in sight to bad things that are happening to you.  A doctor is not the answer to normal people reacting to shitty things that happen to them.  They just need the time to work them out on their own. 

My point?  I don't know.  I guess I don't have one.  But here's a hug to each and every one of you who are experiencing things like I described and just know that time heals almost all wounds.  The real saying is it heals all wounds, but it really doesn't. 

Love,

Cinnamon

For a start there is no such thing as normal. Normal is derived from taking the whole and seeing what the average is.

People are easy to understand...if you understand yourself. Understanding yourself is one of the most challenging things you will ever do. You see you are not who you think you are, not by a long shot.

I suffered deep dark depression. I talked my way out of it. I changed my perception because I discovered the truth of the human mind. It believes what ever it is programed to believe so I chose to believe positive things . Depressed people go to work on themselves, they do it to themselves and tell themselves they deserve it. Once the mind is in such a state it changes the chemicals being released in the brain, just as being happy causes different chemicals to be released in the brain. Taking medication doesn't change the mental part much, it just redresses the chemical imbalance part without dealing with the root cause.

No-one controls your mind except you. No-one makes your emotions except you.

People have been tricked into reacting emotionally when their is no need to. You don't have to be sad, it is a choice if you are conscious and at the wheel of your vessel. But is you are still asleep you will react as your society has programmed you to do and you will think it is normal.

If you can't put yourself in other people shoes and understand how life is for them and how they would react them you don't have what it takes to be a great writer.

Can you understand how illiterate people see the world?

People who have had no education and no knowledge of numbers can't have a conversation about your two eyes.

Do you understand why Muslim people are like they are?

Do you even know why you are your society is like it is?

How many different societies have you lived in and for how long?

Got actual life experience?

Anyone can write about people, but if you truly understand people you will realize writing is about enlightening people, it is a calling and a dedication directed to educating people about other people.

Bugger all CT people read Novels. You can see it in their thinking, so monotone and lacking broader perspectives. They can't consider opinions beyond their own tiny minds. That is the demographic we are today. Small minded idiots who think they are clever educated people. Didn't used to be like this.

You want to see why people think they way they do?

Watch the films they watch, the TV they watch, the papers and magazines they read and you will see someone else does their thinking for them because we learn through mimicry. Want the kids to act like sex driven sluts, just have some of their pop idols do just those things. It really is that simple and most people are simple because they were taught to be.

Our values are installed, few people were ever given the choice to pick and choose. Instead most were subject to psychological conditioning to conform or physical beatings until they conformed or learned to play the part of conforming in public. Doesn't matter where you visit in the world, this is what you see. A beautiful creature with almost unlimited potential being taught to grub around in the dirt and mud like a simple animal which is told it is clever. Boxed into small corners of thought and belief and even killed off if it does not or perhaps simply ostracized from society if it does not conform.

Stranger in a Strange land.

You only see yourself through the eyes of the other.

Pink Floyd The Wall.

You don't truly see your society until you view it as an outsider.

How many times did yo react to what I posted?

Remember it was your choice.

3 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Love,

Cinnamon

Emotions have little to do with true depression.

Being sad is just not the same thing at all.

You can look at brains with CTE and they are damaged.

You can't talk your way out of that.

Edit: Hug back to you Cinn.

I wasn't trying to disagree. (maybe with Mr. Massengil up there)

Here pop some placebo pills, and while they won't help you with problems that you have to figure out for yourself...it might even create some severe side effects, as well as the doctor will have a happy (healthy?) bank account. :chuckle:  Might be cheaper and just as unable to help your problems (or create more) if you'd just go down to the bar and load up...:drink1:Under some cases, it'll still require a friend (or a cab) to drive you home (from either the bar or the doctor), :chasetail:who will most likely be able to help you to some degree better than what the professionals will provide...:coffeetime:

But when Obama and Hitlery are everybody's problem....:onfire:

Even as a kid I always prided myself on being weird.  Honestly, people who tend to think of themselves as "normal" usually will bore you to death.

It' never too late to ride the green monster.  :bananallama:

What's it called when someone injects themselves into every conversation with their personal theories?  Almost forcibly,  but not quit.  Always finding a way to somehow let everyone know that they believe in -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - . 

2 hours ago, counterintelligence said:

I don't want to be uncool or whatever but can anybody tell what me what the norm is around this planet?

There is no norm - just be true to yourself. You experience the world yourself. Its easy to be at piece when you throw of all your brainwashing and have no preconceived ideas.Find everything out for yourself. You're already cool bro cos you're on the coolest forum:smile:.

Piece and may your god bless you