Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht sentenced to life in prison

Rate this topic

Cinnamon    14,688

http://www.cnet.com/news/convicted-silk-road-founder-ross-ulbricht-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/

Ross Ulbricht, the convicted founder of online illegal-drug marketplace Silk Road, has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The sentencing of the 31-year-old San Francisco man was handed down by US District Court Judge Katherine Forrest in a Manhattan courtroom, according to the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. Ulbricht was facing a minimum sentence of 20 years in prison.

In a letter filed to the court earlier this week, Ulbricht pleaded with the judge not to send him away for life.

"As I see it, a life sentence is more similar in nature to a death sentence than it is to a sentence...Both condemn you to die in prison, a life sentence just takes longer," Ulbricht wrote. "I've had my youth, and I know you must take away my middle years, but please leave me my old age.

"Please leave a small light at the end of the tunnel, an excuse to stay healthy, an excuse to dream of better days ahead and a chance to redeem myself in the free world before I meet my maker."

In the end, Forrest rejected Ulbricht's plea.

<snip>