Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Make your own healthy medicines and preventatives

30 posts in this topic

I'm going to pin this for awhile so you all can add to this. If you know how to make something healthy that is medicinal or preventative of illness, please post it here. I'll start with this. I haven't tried making it but I think I will. Apple Cider Vinegar is cheap enough to buy but what if there wasn't any store to buy it from? 

If anyone has their own way to make this, I will remove the online link here and use your recipe. I'd rather have the info from someone who has actually done it, but this link sounds ok in case no one has. 

How to Make Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

It’s apple season in many parts of North America which will continue through the Fall.  Time to take advantage of the seasonal bounty and make some raw apple cider vinegar! If you don’t have locally grown apples available in your community, a bag of organic apples from the healthfood store or veggie co-op will work just fine.

Unpasteurized, or raw apple cider vinegar is expensive, so making your own is very thrifty.  A typical quart of organic, raw apple cider vinegar will run you just under $5 at most healthfood stores.  You can make a whole gallon, four times that amount, yourself for about the same price or even less if you use apple scraps that you were going to throw out or compost anyway.

Which Apples Make the Best Raw Apple Cider Vinegar?

A mixture of apples produces the best tasting and most healthful raw apple cider vinegar.

If you are new to the process, try these approximate ratios for your first batch or two and then change it up from there to your own personal liking:

50% sweet apples (Golden Delicious, Fuji (my fave), Gala, Red Delicious)

35% sharp tasting apples (McIntosh, Liberty, Winesap, Northern Spy, Gravenstein)

15% bitter tasting apples (Dolgo crabapples, Newtown, Foxwhelp, Porter’s Perfection, Cortland)

In my neck of the woods, bitter tasting apples are hard to find.  If this is your predicament as well, simply increase the proportion of sweet apples to 60% and the sharp tasting apples to 40%. While the flavor of this mixture won’t be as complex as with the inclusion of some bitter apples, it will still taste fine.

If all you have is a single apple tree in the backyard, however, feel free to use just that one variety to make your raw apple cider vinegar!

Uses for Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

The uses for raw apple cider vinegar are seemingly endless. It’s widely used in homemade tonics, recipes and even for cleaning.  I like to use it for an ACV detox bath (1 quart to a tubful of warm water). Friends of mine use raw apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse or for hair detoxing.

The well known Master Tonic, a natural flu anti-viral, uses raw apple cider vinegar as the fermenting medium.  It’s also an essential ingredient in homemade bone broths.

Pasteurized apple cider vinegar doesn’t have the same benefits as raw apple cider vinegar does as valuable vitamins, probiotics and enzymes are destroyed by the heating process.  If you are going to go to the trouble of making apple cider vinegar, always make it raw for maximum benefits.

How to Make Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

Makes approximately 1 gallon

Ingredients 

5 large apples of choice or the scraps of 10 apples

Filtered water

1 cup raw, local honey or organic cane sugar (find it here)

Equipment

1 wide mouth gallon glass jar (I like these)

Cheesecloth or floursack cloth (I use these)

Large rubber band

Instructions

Before you can make your raw apple cider vinegar, you must first make hard apple cider.  The alcohol in the hard cider is what transforms via fermentation into acetic acid, which is the beneficial organic compound that gives apple cider vinegar its sour taste.

<snip> 

Rest of the instructions are at link:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/make-raw-apple-cider-vinegar/

4 people like this

This is my own work, so I'm posting all:

How to make liposomal Vitamin C

To make this you will need a blender, an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner, water, lecithin powder or granules and Vitamin C powder.

3 tbsp lecithin

1 cup water

Blend together.

1 tbsp vit c powder

1/2 cup water

Blend together.

Put the lecithin water into the jewelry cleaner.

Add the C water to the jewelry cleaner.

Turn on for 6 minutes.

Stirred with plastic straw.

The mixture came out completely free of foam and did not separate at all.

With the powders and water, this made 12 oz.

12K mg @70 percent encapsulation = 8400 mg.

This comes out to 700 mg. per ounce.

It's got a strange taste, but mostly just a tart taste. No gag factor. I think the taste will grow on you after a little while, easy

for

me to tolerate.

(All based on their 70 percent delivery rate.)

It will be interesting to see if I get any separation by morning. 

Updated: no separation

UPDATED NOW: I bought some of the OTC liposomal C that is like 1 dollar per 1,000 mg. of liquid/gell like, it tastes very close to what mine does. 

1 person likes this

How to make kefir and cream cheese, kefir is used to populate healthy gut bacteria and that is where your immune system lives. Here's how I make mine. I ordered kefir grains from someone on ebay and they were awesome, came with a little birth certificate because they are living organisms.  lol

This stuff is EXPENSIVE at the store and it's dead. Processing kills everything, including pro-biotics. 

Use it like liquid yogurt, it's very similar and makes the best smoothies you've ever had. 

1  tablespoon of kefir grains

2 cups whole milk  

Put in a glass jar and cover with a screened lid or cover with paper towel secured with a rubber band.  Don't use a solid lid or it'll explode. 

Set on the counter and leave approximately 24 hours, I always check it so it doesn't get too thick.  The warmer the room, the faster it thickens and becomes kefir.  I like mine the consistency of buttermilk, creamy looking. 

Now you have kefir.  

Strain the kefir grains out of the kefir and use them again and again.  

They need milk to live, so if you want to inactivate them, put them in the fridge with a little milk, you'll have to keep feeding them, I just drain off the milk once in a while and then give them more fresh milk from time to time. They keep growing, too.  There's lots of info online about how to make kefir. 

There is also water kefir but I haven't tried that. 

You can also make your own cream cheese with kefir!  Just let it get really thick, it'll separate, pour off the separated liquid and save the grains. Put the thick kefir in a nut milk bag and hang it up. Let it drip until the thickened kefir is the consistency of cream cheese. I add salt and roasted garlic to it and it's so good. Cream cheese isn't cheap either, but this is! 

I paid around 12 dollars for the grains on ebay. If you take care of them, you'll never have to buy them again.

They look like cauliflower and are spongy in texture. 

3 minutes ago, holographicINVASION said:

this will and should be a good thread!  :banana:

We all have a little bit of "mad scientist" in us. lol

I heard cinnamon and honey on a regular basis is good for us all..

1 person likes this

I am not mad but yes, we are mad scientist in this mad scientist type of world.. you know this

Essiac Tea, I have made this and tried it. It's not bad at all. Renee Essiac was screwed over by the pharmaceutical industry for her cancer cure. There's a heck of a history behind this concoction.  I never want to get cancer, so I'm always doing anything I can to prevent it.  It's a horrid disease and if you ever watch someone die of it, it becomes even more horrid. 

Here's the recipe I used to make mine:

http://www.healthfreedom.info/essiac%20formula.htm

1 person likes this

Common Native American Remedies

Although many Native American herbal remedies are still being used today, there are some that many health care providers warn could be dangerous. Always research the individual remedy and talk to your health care provider before using any herbal remedy.

Respiratory Problems

Native Americans were as prone to respiratory problems as anyone else. Asthma, coughs, and colds were treated promptly with teas made from natural ingredients or combinations of these ingredients.

Asthma was treated with skunk cabbage to loosen and remove phlegm.

Pleurisy root was used for bronchitis, pneumonia and other ailments of the lung. It is still an excellent remedy for these illnesses.

Wormwood was also used for the various symptoms of bronchitis.

Sage was used for the discomfort of colds and flu.

For coughs the various tribes used the following:

Boneset was used to treat coughs and colds by many different tribes.

Aspen tea was made from the inner bark of the Aspen tree.

Wild Cherry tea, made from the bark of the Wild Cherry Tree, was made into a tea.

White Pine, in which the inner bark was brewed into a strong tea.

Sarsaparilla was combined with sweet flag as a cough syrup.

Rabbit tobacco

Bloodroot

Back Pain

Arnica used as a rub or a poultice.

Horsemint tea was drunk to help with back pains.

Diarrhea and Other Stomach Ailments

Diarrhea could quickly cause dehydration in the harsh conditions that many tribes lived in. These Native American herbal remedies were used when stomach problems occurred. These remedies were used in tea form unless noted otherwise

Black cherry root

Black cherry fruit was often fermented naturally for up to a year, and then the juice was used to cure dysentery.

Dogwood bark tea used as enemas.

Black Raspberry root

Other Digestive Disorders

Dandelion roots were used for both urinary tract problems and heartburn.

Yellow Root was used for stomach aches.

Sage for upset stomach

Juniper for urinary tract infections as well as diarrhea.

Elder was used as a laxative.

http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Native_American_Herbal_Remedies

2 people like this

Best sweetener I have found is Xylitol.  It's got about 1/3 the calories as sugar and there is no icky aftertaste like lots of sweeteners.  It also cleans your mouth of bacteria after you eat. It cannot promote tooth decay It is healthy alternative for diabetics. I don't like the taste of other sweeteners, but agave is not bad.  Lots of people use stevia, but for me, the aftertaste is so bad, I can't use it. My toothpaste has xylitol in it, you can get it online, no fluoride either. 

Here's a link for xylitol, there's lots of info online about it:

http://xylitol.org/about-xylitol

Why Use Xylitol:

Xylitol has a delicious, sweet taste, and no unpleasant aftertaste! Xylitol has about a third the calories as table sugar, and is a healthy alternative for diabetics. Not only does it make an excellent sugar substitute, but it aids in the prevention of dental caries, and reduces plaque formation.

Learn More

FAQs

Get answers to common questions about xylitol, such as what makes xylitol different from other sweeteners, and it being used as a sugar substitute for diabetics.

Learn More

How to Use Xylitol:

Xylitol is most effective when used in small amounts (in the form of gum, mints, or candy) after meals and snacks. This way, you clean your mouth of bacteria right after eating. We encourage Xylitol users to aim for five Xylitol uses per day to ensure the best dental results (use Xylitol 5 times per day).

Corn Xylitol vs. Birch Xylitol

There are two main types of Xylitol (corn and birch).  There are many variables that differ in the processing of Xylitol. Which variety is the best?

Because it can’t be utilized by bacteria in the mouth xylitol doesn’t promote tooth decay, dentists and nutritionists alike encourage the use of xylitol due to its unique and clinically proven dental benefits. Although it is classified as a carbohydrate, xylitol is slowly absorbed from the digestive tract, and does not cause rapid rises in blood glucose. In addition, the caloric impact of xylitol is typically about 40% lower than other carbohydrates, making it a healthy addition to any low-carb diet.

MORE AT LINK

10 hours ago, Cinnamon said:
10 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Best sweetener I have found is Xylitol.  It's got about 1/3 the calories as sugar and there is no icky aftertaste like lots of sweeteners.  It also cleans your mouth of bacteria after you eat. It cannot promote tooth decay It is healthy alternative for diabetics. I don't like the taste of other sweeteners, but agave is not bad.  Lots of people use stevia, but for me, the aftertaste is so bad, I can't use it. My toothpaste has xylitol in it, you can get it online, no fluoride either. 

I use Tom's of Maine fluoride free toothpaste.. does anybody have any bad info on it.. just curious

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.