Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DarkKnightNomeD

What Makes Texas Texas

8 posts in this topic

@CGK  :laugh:

What Makes Texas Texas

People in this rapidly changing state believe their
way of life is under attack, and they are making
a kind of last stand by simply being Texan.

By MANNY FERNANDEZMAY 7, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/us/what-makes-texas-texas.html?_r=0

-

HOUSTON — Gov. Greg Abbott’s campaign sent me an email one morning, showing the governor aiming a pump-action shotgun in my direction. This was a view of an elected official I had never seen — the get-your-hands-up view. If I contributed $25 to his campaign, I would be entered in a contest to win a shotgun. The subject line of the email read: “Shotgun!” It was a typical morning in Texas.

The prize was special, though. It was not a rare antique. It was, the email noted three times, a Texas-made shotgun.

Those are some of the most potent words in the state’s vocabulary: Texas-made. In a cupboard in our home here, we had a bottle of 1835, a bourbon bottled in Texas and named for the year of the first battle for Texas independence. My crunchy peanut butter is made with Texas-grown peanuts. My salsa of choice is Native Texan (“Born in Texas, Never Leavin’ Texas”). I am not sure where our minivan was made, but as I idle at red lights I know the heritage of the Toyota Tundra in front of me. The stickers on the pickup trucks, built in San Antonio, declare: “Born in Texas, Built by Texans.”

I was born and raised in Central California, and I moved to Houston from Brooklyn in June 2011 to cover Texas for The New York Times. I live here with my wife, my 7-year-old son and my 3-year-old daughter, who keeps a pair of pink cowboy boots outside on the porch or inside by the front door. I have covered stories in the South, the Midwest and other parts of the country. People in those places identified with their political party, their job, their cause, their sexual orientation, their city, their race. Almost no one identified with their state the way Texans do.

Who are these people, these Texans? What do they tell us about America? What to make of a state that is so focused on itself? I wrestle with these questions all the time.

One day, behind a general store in Central Texas, a firearms instructor in a wide-brimmed cowboy hat reached for the butt of his holstered gun as I approached him for an interview. The general store, the hat, the reach for the gun: the line between the myth of Texas and the reality of Texas is razor thin.

I have met Texas Rangers who actually do seem larger than life and artists and writers who have taken the state’s entrepreneurial energies in entirely cool directions. I’ve met conspiracy theorists, Texas secessionists and Texas nationalists (there is a difference), as well as those in the parallel and wholly separate Texas made up of the uninsured, the undocumented, the imprisoned and the poor. Much of it is not my world, but despite that — or perhaps because of it — I think I’m becoming a little bit Texan. The historian T. R. Fehrenbach once wrote that Texas “shaped those who lived upon it more than they changed it.”

You don’t just move to Texas. It moves into you.

My life as a Texan is exactly what you might imagine it would be. The other day, I crawled around the bathroom floor trying to catch a palm-size green anole lizard that had sneaked into the house. I spent a recent weekend at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, eating Frito pie and watching the piglet races with my children. My son stands every morning in his classroom and recites the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag. And then he makes another pledge to the Texas flag, in accordance with Section 25.082 of the Texas Education Code, which requires all children in public schools to recite the two pledges. It is not some vestige of the late 1800s: The law was passed by the Texas Legislature in 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCb-U-FhmU

One thing I can say about Texas (I live here) it is becoming more, and more infused with outsider, bringing their outside agenda and attitudes... Unless you go out to the smaller towns, out west of Dallas and East of Dallas, you will find very few who actually was born and raised here.. I was born in Western Ma, and also lived in CT, before moving here 11yrs ago... Sometimes they way the towns and cities come up with new rules, it make you feel like your being controlled by the government.. Plus it is very expensive to live in this state.. Food, housing, gas, electric, cable, is getting waaaaaay to high.. Hell this apartment I'm living in now, next month will cost me $1452 a month.. Hell even leasing or buying a home here, is becoming way to much to afford..

They do seem to have lots of jobs, but do not expect to make much... Hell their wages here compared to were I use to live, is pretty low...

23 minutes ago, JustATrucker said:

One thing I can say about Texas (I live here) it is becoming more, and more infused with outsider, bringing their outside agenda and attitudes... Unless you go out to the smaller towns, out west of Dallas and East of Dallas, you will find very few who actually was born and raised here.. I was born in Western Ma, and also lived in CT, before moving here 11yrs ago... Sometimes they way the towns and cities come up with new rules, it make you feel like your being controlled by the government.. Plus it is very expensive to live in this state.. Food, housing, gas, electric, cable, is getting waaaaaay to high.. Hell this apartment I'm living in now, next month will cost me $1452 a month.. Hell even leasing or buying a home here, is becoming way to much to afford..

They do seem to have lots of jobs, but do not expect to make much... Hell their wages here compared to were I use to live, is pretty low...

Have you ever heard of BATTLEGROUND TEXAS?

You should look into that.

2 minutes ago, DarkKnightNomeD said:

Have you ever heard of BATTLEGROUND TEXAS?

You should look into that.

Ya I will have to look into it, thanks..

Please don't move here, it's very hot in the summer, just awful, sticky and sweaty. The place is crawling with conservatives. Everything is bigger here, including the bugs and mosquitoes. Like, West Nile is a real killer, people! You will surely get it an die a slow horrible death. Oh, there are shooting ranges everywhere....my God, I've never seen so many guns in one place! Seemingly innocent housewives are packing heat. Very scary.

If Texas secedes from the union then you'll be expected to stay and fight and it won't be pretty. Again, you'll be facing death worse than the Nile Virus!! If you had any part in the failure of the state you are moving from then you surely won't like it here!!

23 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

Please don't move here, it's very hot in the summer, just awful, sticky and sweaty. The place is crawling with conservatives. Everything is bigger here, including the bugs and mosquitoes. Like, West Nile is a real killer, people! You will surely get it an die a slow horrible death. Oh, there are shooting ranges everywhere....my God, I've never seen so many guns in one place! Seemingly innocent housewives are packing heat. Very scary.

If Texas secedes from the union then you'll be expected to stay and fight and it won't be pretty. Again, you'll be facing death worse than the Nile Virus!! If you had any part in the failure of the state you are moving from then you surely won't like it here!!

I'm sure that was sarcasm. Lol. I like it here, but it has changed a lot over the last 11 years. Some not for the good.

6 minutes ago, JustATrucker said:

I'm sure that was sarcasm. Lol. I like it here, but it has changed a lot over the last 11 years. Some not for the good.

Yup. I've noticed more experiments over the years by federal flunkies and Austin has been infiltrated by libs.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.