Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
rbear

THE DRIVERLESS TRUCK IS COMING, AND IT’S GOING TO AUTOMATE MILLIONS OF JOBS

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A convoy of self-driving trucks recently drove across Europe and arrived at the Port of Rotterdam. No technology will automate away more jobs — or drive more economic efficiency — than the driverless truck.

Shipping a full truckload from L.A. to New York costs around $4,500 today, with labor representing 75 percent of that cost. But those labor savings aren’t the only gains to be had from the adoption of driverless trucks.

Where drivers are restricted by law from driving more than 11 hours per day without taking an 8-hour break, a driverlesstruck can drive nearly 24 hours per day. That means the technology would effectively double the output of the U.S. transportation network at 25 percent of the cost.

And the savings become even more significant when you account for fuel efficiency gains. The optimal cruising speed from a fuel efficiency standpoint is around 45 miles per hour, whereas truckers who are paid by the mile drive much faster. Further fuel efficiencies will be had as the self-driving fleets adopt platooning technologies, like those from Peloton Technology, allowing trucks to draft behind one another in highway trains. cont blacklistednews

Edited by rbear
sc

I've this posted before.. this is where jobs are going.. not that your topic isn't right on.. just more info towards it.. we are getting :padllbli: ed!

If they keep replacing human labor with machines... my question is... who's going to buy anything?  We won't have jobs to work, make money and make purchases. Or maybe it'll all be free. (har har har)

1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

If they keep replacing human labor with machines... my question is... who's going to buy anything?  We won't have jobs to work, make money and make purchases. Or maybe it'll all be free. (har har har)

they do not need us anymore.. which really sucks! but.. we can live without the machine.. and you already know how, don't you.. smiles 

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

we will overcome the future catastrophe that they have planned for us.. fact; they have a plan.. fact; we have a separate plan.. rid of the fear.. then.. they can't stop us

12 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I know better, but maybe someday we can all stop working so hard. You put a rock in the machine and out comes a Filet Mignon and a dry Martini.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Or repair the machines when they break down...

But of course the elites live this way already, so it wouldn't concern them.

Now about turning the corner and jack knifing with(out) destroying property or running over driverless cars...wonder how that's going to turn out.   Does the driverless truck have extra logic to handle particularly difficult situations and/or manuevers?  Does it know what a weight station is?

Edited by counterintelligence

21 hours ago, holographicINVASION said:

I've this posted before.. this is where jobs are going.. not that your topic isn't right on.. just more info towards it.. we are getting :padllbli: ed!

Yep,

these little punks that want 15 $ per hour flippin burgers ? will find companies replacing them with automated fryers.

Cool thing about robot trucks is that they have to stop if you walk out in front of them. (although, I would test that theory first by throwing a piece of fried chicken in a bad neighborhood in front of one first).

Meanwhile, have all your buddies hop on to hitch a ride.

Retired union workers facing 'unprecedented' pension cuts.

Multi-employer pension plans cover more than 10 million workers and retirees in the trucking, construction, retail, mining, manufacturing and other industries. Historically, the plans were considered more secure since multiple employers pay into the plans instead of relying on the fortunes of just one company.

But in the past decade, many plans have struggled with supporting an aging workforce, and large employers have been pulling out of the plans. In addition, many are still dealing with significant losses incurred during the recession.

The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) It is estimated that should the pension plans (Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC.GOV) become insolvent a payout of less than $13,000 per year could be the fate of workers who participated in these retirement funds.

Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).

Congress may be asked to grant relief through Official legislation.

If the savings from automation is not passed on to the consumer goods level we could be looking at more bailouts or see those who have worked a lifetime go back to retirement +$10 per hour jobs. Only to work until the self driving ambulance hauls them away to the nearest automated care facility.

As my Uncle once told me, all you have to know to be a plumber is basically,

Shit Runs Downhill !

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/15/retirement/pension-cuts/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pension_Benefit_Guaranty_Corporation

18 hours ago, counterintelligence said:

1)Or repair the machines when they break down...

But of course the elites live this way already, so it wouldn't concern them.

2) Now about turning the corner and jack knifing with(out) destroying property or running over driverless cars...wonder how that's going to turn out.   Does the driverless truck have extra logic to handle particularly difficult situations and/or manuevers?  Does it know what a weight station is?

1)self fixing, and if not drones fly in and repair/on board bots. Same as Google cars and bmw (prob some others) are working toward

2) see 1) 

3 minutes ago, rbear said:

1)self fixing, and if not drones fly in and repair/on board bots. Same as Google cars and bmw (prob some others) are working toward

2) see 1) 

I'd like to see them automate the putting on of tire chains. Always hated that.

What will they drive on if we don't fix our highways?

For sure we need automated road building and repair.

Automating our Highway Commission shouldn't be that hard as all they seem to do is withdraw the automatically transferred salary from the bank.

53 minutes ago, Informedconsent said:

I'd like to see them automate the putting on of tire chains. Always hated that.

I have heard this part discussed, and it was either said some robot would do it, but in limited circumstances, at least till its perfected, they may have to call a human lol.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.