Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
octopus prime

Smart Guns, Stupid Idea

5 posts in this topic

President Barack Obama is opening a new front in the gun control debate, readying a big push for so-called smart gun technology — an initiative that the gun lobby and law enforcement rank and file is already mobilizing against.

As early as Friday, Obama is set to formally release findings from the Defense, Justice and Homeland Security Departments on ways to spur the development of guns that can be fired only by their owner, according to industry and gun control sources. Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett is slated to preview the announcement for stakeholder Thursday. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/obama-smart-gun-technology-222574

Or not.  Maybe some of you like this idea.

The concept of smart guns is hardly new: researchers have been trying to develop electronic systems to make a gun fire only by an authorized user for almost three decades, with on-again, off-again help from the federal government.

It wouldn’t prevent most mass shootings, gun crimes or suicides — currently the biggest driver of gun deaths. However, they could cut down on the roughly 500 deaths each year from accidental shootings, especially by kids. Advocates also point to findings that most youth suicides are committed with a parents’ weapon, and instances where officers’ own guns are stolen in a scuffle and used to shoot them cause about 1 in 10 police deaths.

Wow, 500 deaths. Why spend money to develop this technology?? Seems stupid when a safety already exists.

As a side note, our electricity went out for 3 hours during the last storm an increasing occurrence these days so I keep the oil lamps handy. The simplicity of the lamp is a marvel, controlling the glow by dialing the wick up or down. I find them to be safer than candles and in this "modern" world they ought to come with a disclaimer that fire might be hazardous to my home and person. You cannot save people from themselves nor their offspring from the same genetic pool.

1 person likes this

anything they push with the word smart attached to it can go to hell! ya know??

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, holographicINVASION said:

anything they push with the word smart attached to it can go to hell! ya know??

Ya know?does that mean you want my input?i totally agree if it has smart in front of it,it is most likely a child of cia,nsa!!!imo

4 hours ago, YourMom2 said:

You cannot save people from themselves nor their offspring from the same genetic pool.

That's so true and no amount of regulation is going to raise IQ.

Plus, Shall Not Be Infringed! That's pretty simple and yet they still don't get it.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.