Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
octopus prime

Working for food

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/rachel-sheffield/when-kansas-instituted-work-requirements-get-food-stamps-guess-what

Work programs provide opportunities such as job training and employment search services. For example, in Kansas, workfare helped one man, who was unemployed for four years and on food stamps, find employment in the publishing industry where he now earns $45,000 annually. Another Kansan who was also previously unemployed and dependent on food stamps for over three years, now has an annual income of $34,000.

Furthermore, with the implementation of the work requirement in Kansas, the caseload dropped by 75 percent. Previously, Kansas was spending $5.5 million per month on food stamp benefits for able-bodied adults; it now spends $1.2 million.

Imagine that,  working for a  living actually helps you break the poverty trap. It also proves jobs are out there,  people just don't want them. 

Edited by octopus prime
1 person likes this

I remember when the woman in charge of this program caught a lot of flack from liberals in other states. Time limits inspire people to find solutions!

2 hours ago, YourMom2 said:

I remember when the woman in charge of this program caught a lot of flack from liberals in other states. Time limits inspire people to find solutions!

... only to have the next group come in and possibly destroy all their hard work!

I fear this is a one sided report. Who will report on those who can't find work and end up loosing the food benefits and how it has affected the family unit. 

Here those ordered, by the justice system, to do public work are being reincarnated because of no opportunity to serve it.

Too many of these reports are one sided. Without Paul Harvey, we may never here the rest of the story.

Understand, I am as tired as the rest of the working class of seeing shopping carts full of junk food. The system needs reform for real change. #hoaxandchains

23 hours ago, YourMom2 said:
13 hours ago, Informedconsent said:

I fear this is a one sided report. Who will report on those who can't find work and end up loosing the food benefits and how it has affected the family unit. 

Here those ordered, by the justice system, to do public work are being reincarnated because of no opportunity to serve it.

Too many of these reports are one sided. Without Paul Harvey, we may never here the rest of the story.

Understand, I am as tired as the rest of the working class of seeing shopping carts full of junk food. The system needs reform for real change. #hoaxandchains

Not really.  If you read the article,  it's more than a time limit.  It's job training,  job placement assistance,  and a few other things.  It has to be comprehensive and Kansas is not the only state it's working in. A side issue it deals with is entitlement.  Some people think they are too special to do certain work and that is also a trap.  I don't know about others,  but I was always taught that any job is better than no job. There are others that think they are owed something simply because they are a minority and have it rougher than everyone else.  It's all a form of hubris and ego. It's a sinister form of slavery that crushes the spirit and soul more thoroughly than chains ever did. 

If you truly want to help someone,  you not only give them a fish for their immediate needs, you teach them how to fish for their future needs as well. Then the rest is up to them to make it happen. 

On 4/27/2016 at 3:24 AM, octopus prime said:

the caseload dropped by 75 percent. Previously, Kansas was spending $5.5 million per month on food stamp benefits for able-bodied adults; it now spends $1.2 million.

Pretty good indication of just how many able bodied people were sucking the govt tit. I know it's near impossible for a single parent to work with day care expenses unless s/he makes $50k+ but I don't think that is who the law targets.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.