Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kloudnine

The Stanford Prison Experiment , Does a little power really turn people into monsters?

11 posts in this topic

"The Stanford Prison Experiment, a dramatic simulation study of the psychology of imprisonment and one of the best known psychology experiments ever undertaken.Dr. Zimbardo takes us through the Stanford Prison Experiment, in which healthy college students are transformed into unstable prisoners and brutal prison guards within days by the power of the situation in which they found themselves."

1 person likes this

Some people just cant hold authority, does it corrupts them or just allow them to be who they really are?

1 person likes this

Some people just cant hold authority, does it corrupts them or just allow them to be who they really are?

I think it brings out who they really are.  Same as hitting the Lotto.  

​I think it brings out who they really are.
Compassionate or empathic people generally don't seek positions of power.
When they're placed there by others they tend to change an unjust system rather than conform to it.

1 person likes this

​I think it brings out who they really are.Compassionate or empathic people generally don't seek positions of power.
When they're placed there by others they tend to change an unjust system rather than conform to it.

​Yes Lucy , I agree!

​I think it brings out who they really are.Compassionate or empathic people generally don't seek positions of power.

​Is that what happened with me?

2 people like this

Another disturbing experiment involved what subjects thought was electric shock punishments for wrong answers. I can't find the one done fairly recently. It was shocking. Ordinary people delivered deadly doses to obey the researcher's orders. The human mind is a scary thing.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html

Two rooms in the Yale Interaction Laboratory were used - one for the learner (with an electric chair) and another for the teacher and experimenter with an electric shock generator.

The “learner” (Mr. Wallace) was strapped to a chair with electrodes. After he has learned a list of word pairs given him to learn, the "teacher" tests him by naming a word and asking the learner to recall its partner/pair from a list of four possible choices.

The teacher is told to administer an electric shock every time the learner makes a mistake, increasing the level of shock each time. There were 30 switches on the shock generator marked from 15 volts (slight shock) to 450 (danger – severe shock).

The learner gave mainly wrong answers (on purpose) and for each of these the teacher gave him an electric shock. When the teacher refused to administer a shock the experimenter was to give a series of orders / prods to ensure they continued. There were 4 prods and if one was not obeyed then the experimenter (Mr. Williams) read out the next prod, and so on.

Results:

65% (two-thirds) of participants (i.e. teachers) continued to the highest level of 450 volts. All the participants continued to 300 volts.

​Yes , I think you are showing yourself to be a positive force on the internet.

​Yes Lucy , I agree!

Yep, people with a heart will walk before they'll bow down; and we love you for it Shep. :a9jDaFH:

Another disturbing experiment involved what subjects thought was electric shock punishments for wrong answers. I can't find the one done fairly recently. It was shocking. Ordinary people delivered deadly doses to obey the researcher's orders. The human mind is a scary thing.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html

​Herd mentality or sheeple are very scary. If you tell them to cause pain to another , they fear receiving the pain if they don't act on your authority.

I think so as well,  Shine on you crazy Diamond!! 

I think highly of you Shep. :cheers:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.