Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cryptid Mold

In Space, In Which Direction Would Your Lying Eyes Say You Are Moving?

90 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I really love physics, but even physics doesn't have all the answers. In space, or anywhere for that matter, movement is only a perception, and as the old saying goes, "perception is everything." If you believe you are moving forward, well, then you are. At least that's what you would believe. If you are floating/moving forward, and at a fast rate in space, you say, "I am moving forward", but what happens if you quickly twist your body around and are now facing backwards? (or so it would seem) Your body will continue to move in the original direction, but now your perception will tell you that you are now moving backwards. So which is it? You cannot even answer that question.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot feel movement in space, and the only reason you can feel it here on earth is because of gravity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is that there is no movement. Only the perception of it. Some things can never be explained, but we know they are true. We know they are real. We don't always know how or why we know. We just know they are. Sometimes we get to peek behind the magician's curtain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

:onfire: :scream: :snrmaajt:

I figured I'd just post a thread on it, and now there's no interest. At least it made your head hurt on the other thread... lol.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its early yet,  some of the CT peeps are still in bed. :yah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

Its early yet,  some of the CT peeps are still in bed. :yah:

Why not bring your posts over here from the other thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an old biker, I've had around 30 bikes in my lifetime (not all road bikes) - I can attest that there is movement / motion.  Riding a bike (or a 4x4 for that matter) is always "Tea, milk & sugar" The "balance" between these three is very important else your "movement" will result in nil and you go down.

Tea = traction : Without traction you cannot keep the rubber side down.

Milk = motion : Without motion you cannot keep the bike upright and your 4x4 will sink int the sand / mud without motion

Sugar = Slip : With a bike you need very little slip (other than the clutch) - A 4x4 needs a bit but not much either.

Motion / movement is only possible if all three are in synergy otherwise the "force" some call gravity will counter the unison and no movement or motion will happen.

Motion / movement is mostly not the problem if controlled, it is the sudden stop that causes the problem.

My finding is that there must be some form of movement or motion to counteract being stationary.  Now, whether you and the thing you are riding on / in is moving or the  "rock" is moving, there is an opposite to being stationary!  I have the scars to prove that! :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalkeAuge said:

I am an old biker, I've , had around 30 bikes in my lifetime (not all road bikes) - I can attest that there is movement / motion.  Riding a bike (or a 4x4 for that matter) is always "Tea, milk & sugar" The "balance" between these three is very important else your "movement" will result in nil and you go down.

Tea = traction : Without traction you cannot keep the rubber side down.

Milk = motion : Without motion you cannot keep the bike upright and your 4x4 will sink int the sand / mud without motion

Sugar = Slip : With a bike you need very little slip (other than the clutch) - A 4x4 needs a bit but not much either.

Motion / movement is only possible if all three are in synergy otherwise the "force" some call gravity will counter the unison and no movement or motion will happen.

Motion / movement is mostly not the problem if controlled, it is the sudden stop that causes the problem.

My finding is that there must be some form of movement or motion to counteract being stationary.  Now, whether you and the thing you are riding on / in is moving or the  "rock" is moving, there is an opposite to being stationary!  I have the scars to prove that! :cheers:

The thread is about motion in space or the lack thereof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FalkeAuge said:

I am an old biker, I've had around 30 bikes in my lifetime (not all road bikes) - I can attest that there is movement / motion.  Riding a bike (or a 4x4 for that matter) is always "Tea, milk & sugar" The "balance" between these three is very important else your "movement" will result in nil and you go down.

Tea = traction : Without traction you cannot keep the rubber side down.

Milk = motion : Without motion you cannot keep the bike upright and your 4x4 will sink int the sand / mud without motion

Sugar = Slip : With a bike you need very little slip (other than the clutch) - A 4x4 needs a bit but not much either.

Motion / movement is only possible if all three are in synergy otherwise the "force" some call gravity will counter the unison and no movement or motion will happen.

Motion / movement is mostly not the problem if controlled, it is the sudden stop that causes the problem.

My finding is that there must be some form of movement or motion to counteract being stationary.  Now, whether you and the thing you are riding on / in is moving or the  "rock" is moving, there is an opposite to being stationary!  I have the scars to prove that! :cheers:

Regardless, perception is still everything. If you are running on a treadmill, are you moving forward? If I show you a video of that close-up where you only see your feet moving on the treadmill without the surrounding area, you would perceive forward motion when you are in reality still stationary. Perception is everything.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Full Throttle said:

The thread is about motion in space or the lack thereof. 

Go figure!  None of this is "available" in space thus direction does not necessarily exist.  There is no traction and no slip there is just the void of space thus motion does not exist in the sense we observe it here on earth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalkeAuge said:

Go figure!  None of this is "available" in space thus direction does not necessarily exist.  There is no traction and no slip there is just the void of space thus motion does not exist in the sense we observe it here on earth.  

Gravity tells you that you have changed direction, but in space, it does not thereby saying there is no direction. What would happen if you were to flip your view of the universe up-side-down? Would anything really change? Certainly not! Only your perception of what you were seeing. You cannot flip the universe up-side-down because there is no such thing. You would only be deceiving yourself with an illusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead


Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.