Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
thedudeabides

what is your regret when it comes to preparing?

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For me it is my physical health. I was injured badly in 2013, went through 2 years of pt. As a result my physical condition degraded significantly. Managed to gain 100lbs in those 2 Years. Working it off now, but I am smoked if an emp hits and I have to ruck it.

tldr; wish I had not joined the army.

Also share suggestions with others.

Edited by thedudeabides

Inadequate water supply and protection of solar panels.  I  have to admit,  we're stumped and are at the point where we're considering finding a new place. The solar is a backup system,  but water is tricky.  

1 minute ago, octopus prime said:

Inadequate water supply and protection of solar panels.  I  have to admit,  we're stumped and are at the point where we're considering finding a new place. The solar is a backup system,  but water is tricky.  

You can always dig up earth and press it with cloth to extract moisture.

6 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

I don't know where you live.    But I have a very high water table.  Usually about 8-12 feet.  I bought a fence post auger and iron pipe from lowes.  I can drill about 20-25 feet by hand.  I have 5 on my property.  I have one good pump that pulls into a 330 gallon tank set up with a float switch.  That drips into a 55 gallon drum bio filter and drains into 1000 gallons of storage in a cinder block underground room.  Perfectly drinkable.  I also catch rain water which keeps another 330 tank full.  I have that set up and uses its own weight to feed a garden hose to water plants, clean 4 wheelers, side by sides, dogs, kids... whatever.  There are a lot of options.  On a small scale you can dig a hole, put a container in the center.  Drape a plastic sheet over it with a rock in the center.  Condensation will flow to the low point and drip into your container... 

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

You can always dig up earth and press it with cloth to extract moisture.

Yes, and solar stills,  cisterns,  etc. But it's the same problem as with the panels, how to adequately protect them. When we first began over a decade ago,  these weren't issues.  Things have changed. Location, location,  location. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

I don't know where you live.    But I have a very high water table.  Usually about 8-12 feet.  I bought a fence post auger and iron pipe from lowes.  I can drill about 20-25 feet by hand.  I have 5 on my property.  I have one good pump that pulls into a 330 gallon tank set up with a float switch.  That drips into a 55 gallon drum bio filter and drains into 1000 gallons of storage in a cinder block underground room.  Perfectly drinkable.  I also catch rain water which keeps another 330 tank full.  I have that set up and uses its own weight to feed a garden hose to water plants, clean 4 wheelers, side by sides, dogs, kids... whatever.  There are a lot of options.  On a small scale you can dig a hole, put a container in the center.  Drape a plastic sheet over it with a rock in the center.  Condensation will flow to the low point and drip into your container... 

Basically,  we were counting on an underground stream that has since dried up due to a sinkhole.  Not to mention development too close for comfort.  I'm just thinking that it's time to move somewhere else . But you did suggest something that we didn't think about.  Thanks.

Edited by octopus prime

33 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

For me it is my physical health. I was injured badly in 2013, went through 2 years of pt. As a result my physical condition degraded significantly. Managed to gain 100lbs in those 2 Years. Working it off now, but I am smoked if an emp hits and I have to ruck it.

tldr; wish I had not joined the army.

Also share suggestions with others.

I've been lucky.  I have stayed in good shape.  My bug out location is a decent distance from my home.  I prepare for worst case in my mind which is EMP where I'll be on foot. I have an advantage in that most of my preps are at my property.  There is a cabin that can house my family, close friends.  I've been cautious over the years about who I take out there.  Basically, once you are invited, we spend your first trip discussing what to do if something happens.  Where to go, who you can bring...etc.  it sucks that not everyone can come, but you have to be smart.  

I prep for the trip, on foot.  It won't be fun, and by my calculations would take me about 2 weeks.  In shape or not, that is a hike.  It's also very hilly.  Thick wooded terrain, lots of creeks and rivers and rain.  But very low population.  

My biggest regret is that I've been forced to choose who is welcome and who is not.  Not an easy decision to make.  

Escape, evasion and survival in urban and rural situations was my life for a long time.  I adopted the gray man approach along the way and I'm currently putting together a series on how to become the gray man.  And why that is the smartest option, in any environment.  

I was in the business of HUMINT, but in the private sector.  And no, I'm not talking about PI work.  I'm talking about the real nitty gritty, in the dirt, sitting across from some real bad mother f***ers of the world.  Making them brake because I don't lose.  Getting what I need and getting the hell out so I can come home to my family.  I've worked with a lot of real nasty, mean sons of bitches.  The kind of people you wonder off into the dark, filthy corners of the world and know they got your back no matter what.  I've made a few friends along the way and even more enemies.  If you ever met me in person you'd never know it.  If you asked me what I do, I'd probably tell you I work in the insurance industry.  And if I told you the truth one drunken night, you wouldn't believe me, which is actually a good thing.:betteryet:

Seriously, this is like the third time I've said this here.  I have some knowledge in this arena and I am an open book, kinda.  I do love to teach, though.

The most powerful prep you can do is let Jesus into your heart and prepare for eternity.   If it is His will, you will have everything you need. 

*that was a long post.  Sorry about that, but it felt GOOD!

I am in the right place to survive.

Yup my body isn't what it once was, I would have to fight rather than run these days due a bad knee (yeah, I know, took an arrow and it ended my adventuring days lol) but I am not going to be in that position.

I was ready for a mad max type scenario where at least my generation would have all the broken things of today to use and renovate/refurbish as we say in the engineering game ( a joke if you are an engineer) so I can make all sorts of equipment out of everyday things left lying around. Food is plentiful where I live along with water, even in the woods and mountains I could live indefinitely...or realistically until you injure yourself bad enough or get so sick you would require serious medical treatment.

That isn't the real worry, the real worry is those you have to take care of who are not up to it. Under pressure you will be faced with the choice of surviving or leaving them behind at some point. Inadequate people will drag you down pretty quick in a survival situation, if you aren't prepared to leave them it will be you going down with them. I would leave those people behind, I wouldn't be happy with the decision but I would do it anyway. True Survivors are bastards when it comes down to pressure decisions, don't forget that, they will always look out for #1 because that is how survival works.

People turn into bastards quick under pressure I have noticed. Doesn't matter how nice they are normally. Few people can keep their heads while others around them are loosing theirs. Sometimes it is an advantage to be on your own.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Water.I don't have enough stored and I currently live in an area where it's illegal to spike or point well and it's illegal to collect rain water... But that's about to change.

Also, I thought I was in pretty good shape physically but that was recently proved to be wrong. I'm working on acquiring some upper body strength now.

Edited by Lucy Barnable

4 hours ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Water.I don't have enough stored and I currently live in an area where it's illegal to spike or point well and it's illegal to collect rain water... But that's about to change.

Also, I thought I was in pretty good shape physically but that was recently proved to be wrong. I'm working on acquiring some upper body strength now.

lucy are you a male or a female?

im not being rude

age? gym nearby? preferably planet fitness (cheapest route with updated everything)

i do have suggestions

you can pm me

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

lucy are you a male or a female?

im not being rude

age? gym nearby? preferably planet fitness (cheapest route with updated everything)

i do have suggestions

you can pm me

Wow this is like serendipity! I just cancelled my L.A. Fitness membership today (I went there for about 7 years) and signed up with Planet Fitness about 4 hours ago. Reason being the driving distance, I got sick of driving so far every day to work out, this one is about 1/2 the distance and has everything I need.  And they're open 24/7. Woot! 

That's a question that can only be answered after disaster hits lol. You might find your biggest regret is simply not having a map or 20. We're as well situated as can be I think, artesian well and spill-off well with a gravity fed line into the basement. Wood heat. Lots of land with really good soil. But I planned it that way 10 years ago.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.