Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flat

Oh Common Core...

10 posts in this topic

Teacher: "We're more focused on the how and the why."

Parent: "Will we be correcting them?"

Teacher: "Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. We want our students to compute correctly. But the emphasis is moving more to the explanation, and the how, and the why,"

Common Core for the win!

:jimcarey:

1 person likes this

:nC4c5mQ:

When I was in school they wouldn't let me do math in my head; even though it was correct.
We had to show our work and it had to be done the way they showed us and no other way.
I'm actually laughing out loud right now. That's so... absurd. It stay on the penny good. A+

16 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

When I was in school they wouldn't let me do math in my head; even though it was correct.
We had to show our work and it had to be done the way they showed us and no other way.
I'm actually laughing out loud right now. That's so... absurd. It stay on the penny good. A+

Right?!

I had the same problem.

What do you mean show my work? 3 x 110 is 330. THAT'S all the work I did...

Just now, Flat said:

Right?!

I had the same problem.

What do you mean show my work? 3 x 110 is 330. THAT'S all the work I did...

Yep, but nooo...
I called that busy work.
A waste of time and paper.

Posted (edited)

In case you don't know...

Watch the vid on this site:

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/02/04/common-core-math-hilariously-explained-in-under-two-minutes-this-was-helpful-302092

And a video defending why math is different now. I like what this guy is saying.

The conceptual grasp of math is a great thing to teach. I really enjoy math. But it didn't come from learning to multiply or divide. It came from the application of those processes like geometry and calculus.

But then, if you took the time to watch that, please watch this. It's enlightening.

Edited by Flat
what's the plural of process?

The example presented here is amazing. Watch for the question she asks the board members.

2 hours ago, Lucy Barnable said:

that's exactly how I was! Crazy synchronicities going on tonight! What's todays date? What time is it? What has occurred today? :DWsKVPL:

5 minutes ago, holographicINVASION said:

that's exactly how I was! Crazy synchronicities going on tonight! What's todays date? What time is it? What has occurred today? :DWsKVPL:

Hmmm...
It does have that feel doesn't it?
:DWsKVPL:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.