Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

CERN Is Seeking Secrets of the Universe, or Maybe Opening the Portals of Hell/gearing up to battle conspiracy theories

3 posts in this topic

GENEVA—The European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, is gearing up for another run at smashing particles together to unlock the secrets of the universe.

That means anticipating a new round of conspiracy theories that its real aim is to blast open a gateway for apocalyptic demons.

Never mind that a few years ago, CERN scientists discovered a particle crucial to the understanding of physical matter. Many Internet commenters want to talk about how CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, a 17-mile subterranean loop that smashes particles at nearly the speed of light, may breach another dimension and unleash the forces of darkness.

One commenter fretted about how best to confront them: “Do we buy guns and ammo?”

Others zeroed in on the statue of Shiva, a Hindu god of destruction, on CERN’s Geneva campus—it might have caused last year’s deadly earthquake in Nepal, one blogger thought. Also, what about the CERN logo that looks a lot like the 666 sign of the Antichrist?

“We Should be Very Scared About CERN,” read the headline of an opinion piece published by The Daily Reporter, in Coldwater, Mich., that suggested the organization could “destroy our universe.”

<snip>

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cern-is-seeking-secrets-of-the-universe-or-maybe-opening-the-portals-of-hell-1459800113

Interesting coming out of the WSJ.  Gearing up to battle conspiracy theories, why would they care, we're just a bunch of crazy people anyway according to them.  As long as you soak up their info and don't question anything they say or do, you're perfectly fine. 

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

GENEVA—The European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, is gearing up for another run at smashing particles together to unlock the secrets of the universe.

That means anticipating a new round of conspiracy theories that its real aim is to blast open a gateway for apocalyptic demons.

Never mind that a few years ago, CERN scientists discovered a particle crucial to the understanding of physical matter. Many Internet commenters want to talk about how CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, a 17-mile subterranean loop that smashes particles at nearly the speed of light, may breach another dimension and unleash the forces of darkness.

One commenter fretted about how best to confront them: “Do we buy guns and ammo?”

Others zeroed in on the statue of Shiva, a Hindu god of destruction, on CERN’s Geneva campus—it might have caused last year’s deadly earthquake in Nepal, one blogger thought. Also, what about the CERN logo that looks a lot like the 666 sign of the Antichrist?

“We Should be Very Scared About CERN,” read the headline of an opinion piece published by The Daily Reporter, in Coldwater, Mich., that suggested the organization could “destroy our universe.”

<snip>

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cern-is-seeking-secrets-of-the-universe-or-maybe-opening-the-portals-of-hell-1459800113

Interesting coming out of the WSJ.  Gearing up to battle conspiracy theories, why would they care, we're just a bunch of crazy people anyway according to them.  As long as you soak up their info and don't question anything they say or do, you're perfectly fine. 

I no longer fear cern.. fear is now destroyed.. though, I've researched it deeply! :bananawohoo:

Hmmm...
Stories like H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond and Stephen King's The Mist are fun to read but I don't think I want to see it irl.
CERN is sketchy for sure but for some reason it's not on the top of my list of things that could go so terribly wrong they ruin my world.
Of course I could be wrong, The gate to Hell open up and all sorts of nasty things could come out and eat us all.. or worse.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.