Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

Like something out of a movie! Snapped! Hunters catch and kill 15ft, 800lb alligator that was eating cows on their farm

11 posts in this topic

Take a look at the massive beast here

They believed the gator had been feasting on the farm's cattle.

Godwin told Fox 13: 'We also discovered the remains what we determined to be cattle in the water. We determined that he was in fact attacking our livestock as they came to drink.'

On Saturday the creature surfaced around 20ft from them, so they shot it.

It was so big they had to use a tractor to drag it out. However, they were then able to use the vehicle to proudly show off their catch. 

They plan to donate the gator's meat to charity and have the alligator taxidermied for display at their hunting shows and expos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3525335/Snapped-Hunters-catch-kill-15ft-800lb-alligator-eating-cows-farm.html

1 person likes this

“When you are up to your ass in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.”  

Actually, I like swamps. Mr. grav and I tried to buy one near French Settlement back in the 80s. When we went to look at the property the first time, we heard the magnificent bellow of a bull alligator. It would not have occurred to us to put cows on that wetland, for cryin' out loud. Humans want to be the only predator on the planet. 

Loggers still clearcut cypress out of swamps that protect Loose-eana from hurricanes. 

Hunters, hah. Chooters, more like. They kill for sport, not for food. Their idea of hunting is to ride their big-ass ATV to a deer stand, where they wait for baited animals to eat corn under it. Then, bam, a bullet in the top of Bambi's head. My property is infested with wild (non-native) hogs that rip up the land and nosy dogs. Sport hunters brought them here for their entertainment, killing. And we landowners pay the price.

15 minutes ago, grav said:

“When you are up to your ass in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.”  

Actually, I like swamps. Mr. grav and I tried to buy one near French Settlement back in the 80s. When we went to look at the property the first time, we heard the magnificent bellow of a bull alligator. It would not have occurred to us to put cows on that wetland, for cryin' out loud. Humans want to be the only predator on the planet. 

Loggers still clearcut cypress out of swamps that protect Loose-eana from hurricanes. 

Hunters, hah. Chooters, more like. They kill for sport, not for food. Their idea of hunting is to ride their big-ass ATV to a deer stand, where they wait for baited animals to eat corn under it. Then, bam, a bullet in the top of Bambi's head. My property is infested with wild (non-native) hogs that rip up the land and nosy dogs. Sport hunters brought them here for their entertainment, killing. And we landowners pay the price.

And you have pork for when the shtf!  (That's probably the only good thing about that invasion.)  If you had a farm there, they'd eat everything you plant. 

2 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Take a look at the massive beast here

They believed the gator had been feasting on the farm's cattle.

Godwin told Fox 13: 'We also discovered the remains what we determined to be cattle in the water. We determined that he was in fact attacking our livestock as they came to drink.'

On Saturday the creature surfaced around 20ft from them, so they shot it.

It was so big they had to use a tractor to drag it out. However, they were then able to use the vehicle to proudly show off their catch. 

They plan to donate the gator's meat to charity and have the alligator taxidermied for display at their hunting shows and expos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3525335/Snapped-Hunters-catch-kill-15ft-800lb-alligator-eating-cows-farm.html

Alligators and crocs are killers, everything looks like prey to them. I think they survived a lot of ELEs, definitely got that prehistoric look, like rhinos, elephants and hippos. 

I'm guilty of feeding them too. I used to throw bread and leftovers when we went to Bubba's swamp camp. Then someone told me it was a bad idea. They lose their fear of humans and associate us with gator bait. D'oh. :VJguDot:  

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

And you have pork for when the shtf!  (That's probably the only good thing about that invasion.)  If you had a farm there, they'd eat everything you plant. 

Wild hogs are all gristle and bone.We raised a litter once. Even ground up as sausage they were inedible. My neighbor traps them in his cattle chutes and kills them. But he adds other ingredients to improve the taste.

I guess if this happens  :ktrkrlnn:they would be better than nothing to season red beans and rice. 

Posted (edited)

Something isn't right here.   The picture of this thing hoisted up by the tractor looks enormous, but the pics of the kid on top of it makes it look like a regular size gator....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/06/00/32E1234B00000578-3525335-image-a-92_1459899689265.jpg

A 9 year old isn't that large.  Is it just me?

Edited by JibbyJedi

51 minutes ago, JibbyJedi said:

Something isn't right here.   The picture of this thing hoisted up by the tractor looks enormous, but the pics of the kid on top of it makes it look like a regular size gator....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/06/00/32E1234B00000578-3525335-image-a-92_1459899689265.jpg

A 9 year old isn't that large.  Is it just me?

Its a trick of the eye. See original image. Grab boy who is further away than alligator by a foot maybe and place him on the alligator same size for the features in the image you link give or take.

The second image has perspective angled perspective which will make it look shorter. and the image does not contain the full alligators body. Cuts the tail part off before it ends.

I've seen bigger. :biggrin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3Yx7cSTIPIQ/UDctd1eLP3I/AAAAAAAAAhg/cgARexksl-Y/s1600/Monster-croc-shot-in-Zimbabwe+the+biggest+crocodile++in+the+world+animal+picture.jpg

I tried to paste a Bing page of images but it didn't look right.

I've heard that Africans never learned to swim because, well, gaping mouths with rows of sharp teeth lurk in the river. Something about their body fat too, which discourages getting into the water. I am not being facetious or making a racial remark. A swimmer told me that. He also said people are sinkers or floaters. I'm a sinker.

By the way, I think hippos are more of a threat than crocodiles in Africa. Then there are black mambas and other man-killers. I saw movie years ago about a pair of lions that learned how to prey on humans. It was based on a true story.

@grav Difference between America' Alligator and Africa' Nile Croc - Crocs are known to be more aggro but the head and construction is different to. Both are scary buggers though.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.