Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
holographicINVASION

Fallout fear for my parents' generation..

13 posts in this topic

Bert the Turtle says.....

Stock Up On Booze

hic

In other news, nuke fear is a real boon to the cement industry.

My how our boogey men have changed... or not.  It's basically the same crap in the same jar with a new label and you can buy local now, instead of having to send away to Russia for it like they had to back then. har har

Wow, I used to have an old children's book about what to do in case you're exposed to nuclear fallout.
I can't find it now to show you all but it said take a shower as soon as possible to get it off your skin.
:onfire:

Just now, Lucy Barnable said:

old children's book

I remember those !  I will have to ask my sister if she still has one or two .

They used fear to control a generation.

I was born in 1973. We we told as a matter of fact au primary school we would all die (the world) in a nuclear war, it was inevitable. They used to say it would be a madman like Gaddafi who would start it (back in the 80's) and it would probably start in the middle east.

The world would be dead and radioactive for 1000's of years. But today we see millions of people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the wild life around Chernobyl thrives. Makes you wonder if we have been sold a Pork Pie. 

In the USA that fear (during the cold war) enable US defence contractors to make money off the taxpayers and increase those funding thresholds yearly. It enabled both the USA and USSR to get smaller nations to suck up to them and become military allies when they didn't really desire that but had no protection (not that MAD should ever be considered protection) unless they sucked up to the USSR or USA.

People who live in fear consume more. They spend more money because they don't know if they will live to the end of a long life. Fear causes people to drop a lot of moral considerations and ethics in favour of survival.  Get people fearful enough and you can get them to believe lies as truth, a truth they will defend with their lives even though it is a lie.

11 minutes ago, CSB said:

I remember those !  I will have to ask my sister if she still has one or two .

I can't remember what it was called but it it had a bright orange cover with a little boy running caring school books.
I don't know where it came from or what happened to it but it was pretty entertaining because it was so ridiculous. 

I also watched this movie on TV when I was a kid.
I remember I found it upsetting but don't remember much of it now.

The Day After (1983)
A graphic, disturbing film about the effects of a devastating nuclear holocaust on small-town residents of eastern Kansas.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

Just now, Lucy Barnable said:

Thanks Lucy . I watched this a long time ago to . I think I will watch it tonight before bed . I hope I don't have nightmares ..... 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, CSB said:

Thanks Lucy . I watched this a long time ago to . I think I will watch it tonight before bed . I hope I don't have nightmares ..... 

No problem. :smile:
I think I'll watch it again too.
I really don't remember much other than it bothered me.
It might seem lame by today's standards movie of DOOOM. lol

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.