Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Race in Portland: College explores whiteness

5 posts in this topic

PCC dismisses critics, urges citywide talks about privilege, systemic racism

<snip>

Oppressive legacies

The seed of the effort started after Michael Brown’s death in Ferguson, Missouri, set off protests there and across the nation. According to Proctor, after a diversity group sent an internal campuswide email offering services, angry comments started swirling in cyberspace.

The group found that few knew the history of white supremacy in Oregon and the deliberate way Portland became overwhelmingly white.

“Even though individuals alive now had nothing to do with that, there are legacies that can be very oppressive,” Hunter-Bernstein says.

Me: Then stfu about it and get on with your miserable nosy life! 

When asked why the college can’t also celebrate the good things white people have done, Givens says: “That response is really kind of a people personalizing (the issue). We’re really talking about a system. That is really what we’re trying to analyze.”

Whiteness different than white people

Whiteness has evolved over time, both in terms of what it is and to whom it refers.

“Many group identities today that consider themselves as part of ‘white,’ historically were not,” Hunter-Bernstein says. In fact, he himself is Jewish, an ethnicity that was not considered white until fairly recently. Likewise, Proctor is of Irish decent and his Irish great-grandparents probably did not consider themselves white.

Givens, on the other hand, is mixed race, but because of his darker skin color, he still identifies as African-American.

Who is entitled to which label and what the label means can be a dicey topic.

“It’s OK to be uncomfortable,” Givens says. “(But) if you’re using your discomfort to say that we shouldn’t have this conversation, that’s where we’re going to push back a little. ... Being a person of color in this country is uncomfortable.”

In fact, Givens says, “we’re asking people to see that whiteness and white people can be different.”

<snip>

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/297043-173768-race-in-portland-college-explores-whiteness

College campuses are becoming the smoldering fires of white genocide. From the Harvard debates about white genocide to the meme of "white privilege", this is all going to one place and that is more violence toward white people.  The way the genocide occurred in Rwanda was done through a propaganda campaign and this could turn out the same way.  Only here, it's much easier to identify your victim because they will be white (or look white).  This is not going to end well.  

What do they want from white people?  More money?  More privilege for themselves? 

Should I dye my hair black, get a perm and stay out in the sun for 2 months all day every day?  Would that make them feel more secure in their darker skin?  No!  To emulate them is against their rules, too.  Appeasement never works. Never!  It just puts you in a position of weakness, so I reject everything these idiots are doing and saying.  I owe them absolutely nothing.  My family has been in the U.S. since the 1700s, they were not slave owners!  They were practically slaves themselves until just a few generations ago, just like the blacks. Some of them were sharecroppers.  So yeah, they can shove it, I want no part of their ideas. 

1 person likes this

Published on Mar 9, 2016

PCC's "Whiteness History Month: Context, Consequences and Change" is a multidisciplinary, district-wide, educational project examining race and racism through an exploration of the construction of whiteness, its origins and heritage. The project seeks to inspire innovative and practical solutions to community issues and social problems that stem from racism. For more information, please visit pcc.edu/whm.

Whiteness was created? What is this idiot talking about? Whiteness History Month 

Let's ask where Blackness and Brownness comes from. But we already know where, it's call DNA. But whiteness doesn't come from that same place, I see.  omg these people are so damn stupid with what they are doing. What a waste of money and time. And people wonder why their degrees are virtually worthless in today's poor job market.  If these people ever have to get their hands dirty to make money, they're going to swear it's slavery and racism that caused it, even though white people are getting their hands dirty every single day to make a living and that includes me and probably everyone on this forum. 

:onfire:  :whaat:

Here's what I'm talking about re: cultural appropriation:

SFSU 2016 - Campus employee assaults white student for "cultural appropriation"

Published on Mar 28, 2016

Occurred at San Francisco State University on 3/28/2016.

19 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

What do they want from white people?  More money?  More privilege for themselves? 

Good question.
There are some who say whites should just kill themselves.
Others think they shouldn't own businesses or live in certain areas.

British-Themed Restaurant Attacked By Portland Liberals For “Colonialism”

Liberals in Portland are trying to shut down a new British-themed restaurant, claiming it “glorifies colonialism.”

The “Saffron Colonial” is an English-themed restaurant in the city, where you can get afternoon tea and English breakfasts. But local protesters – dozens of them – have decided that the name “colonial,” glorifies racism colonialism, KOIN isreporting.

The owner – Sally Krantz – said she came out of her kitchen last week and saw 30 protesters standing outside the front door, protesting.

“One woman was screaming at me about the Native American issue, somebody else was screaming at me about the fact that this whole area is gentrified and I shouldn’t even have taken the premises and that nobody should be living in this area,” she said.

A letter from one of the empty-headed protesters equates Krantz’s restaurant with the dark days of British rule of much of the world.
-----
Krantz isn’t backing down though, telling The Daily Beast that the whole idea that her business supports racism is idiotic:

“I’m not planning on changing my menu,” Krantz said. “Nobody is protesting Southern cuisine. Nobody is protesting Arab cuisine. I’m not sure where that stops.”

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/british-themed-restaurant-attacked-by-portland-liberals-for-colonialism

I work in Portlandia every day.

Retards, yes inbred retards. That's all you will find.( Throws up a little in mouth).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.