Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

Study shows mass government surveillance silences unpopular opinions

3 posts in this topic

Study shows mass government surveillance silences unpopular opinions

March 28, 2016

A new study shows that knowledge of government surveillance causes people to self-censor their dissenting opinions online. The research offers a sobering look at the oft-touted "democratizing" effect of social media and Internet access that bolsters minority opinion.

The study, published in Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, studied the effects of subtle reminders of mass surveillance on its subjects. The majority of participants reacted by suppressing opinions that they perceived to be in the minority. This research illustrates the silencing effect of participants’ dissenting opinions in the wake of widespread knowledge of government surveillance, as revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013.

The “spiral of silence” is a well-researched phenomenon in which people suppress unpopular opinions to fit in and avoid social isolation. It has been looked at in the context of social media and the echo-chamber effect, in which we tailor our opinions to fit the online activity of our Facebook and Twitter friends. But this study adds a new layer by explicitly examining how government surveillance affects self-censorship.

Read the whole post here : https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/03/28/mass-surveillance-silences-minority-opinions-according-to-study/

2 people like this

I worry about it. I don't want them to take my kid. Or take me and leave my child fatherless.

They call you a domestic terrorist for discent and it's over. No trial even, anymore. Thank you, NDAA.

There was a really good show on Ground Zero radio tonight about this exact thing.

Well, well

the FBI just cracked open the Android phone of the Muslim terrorist couple in San Bernardino.

Guess what?

A Jew said people shouldn't ban Caterpillar * machinery because if they did they would also have to boycott Android technology that the Jews created.

This came week b4 the FBI sent the locked phone to Israel to be opened.

*(a whole different thread)

Anyways, people gonna freak because FBI will use the Israeli key to open their phones.

As if...

LOL ?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.