Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
octopus prime

Token Has Spoken

8 posts in this topic

How could you run for president without political parties? I think I see what you're saying and the idea is nice, but the "elimination" of political parties seems impossible.

You would vote for candidates' names alone and we would still have a ton of people throwing their support behind one person or ideal. Isn't that exactly what political parties do?

31 minutes ago, Flat said:

How could you run for president without political parties? I think I see what you're saying and the idea is nice, but the "elimination" of political parties seems impossible.

You would vote for candidates' names alone and we would still have a ton of people throwing their support behind one person or ideal. Isn't that exactly what political parties do?

President George Washington's Farewell Address 1796

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Flat said:

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." -

John Adams,  Second President Of The United States

Edited by octopus prime

All that's well and good, but what's the alternative?

If you didn't have parties, how would you garner enough support and money to nationally campaign? Would you not need tons of people pushing and pulling for your campaign? Isn't that exactly what a political party is?

I agree the entrenched two party system we have is stupid and retarding our government. People who self atribute as democrat or republican are missing the boat big time.

5 hours ago, Flat said:

If you didn't have parties, how would you garner enough support and money to nationally campaign? Would you not need tons of people pushing and pulling for your campaign? Isn't that exactly what a political party is?

I agree the entrenched two party system we have is stupid and retarding our government. People who self atribute as democrat or republican are missing the boat big time.

It's called sortition. Here's a  link. If you're still unclear,  I have others. At least you're asking,  most people just automatically dismiss the idea.

http://politics.stackexchange.com/questions/268/what-are-the-main-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-sortition

5 hours ago, Flat said:

Here's a  detailed definition. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, octopus prime said:

Here's a  detailed definition. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

Oh the things they don't teach you in either public school or college poli-sci 101! Hahahahahahaha! How could I have never heard this term!?

I'm going to think on it a bit. But right off reading the link, it sounds like a fantastic idea!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.