Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talon

Why a Law Firm Is Baiting Cops With a Tor Server

2 posts in this topic

Bynum set up his exit node last week, and left a defying message on the server to whoever might be looking into it, particularly other copyright or intellectual property lawyers.

“You may be here because you're impressed that a law firm is so dedicated to internet freedom that it runs its own Tor exit node. Aw, shucks. You're great, too,” Bynum wrote.

“Or, you might be a lawyer (or something like one) looking for where to send your bruising DMCA notice because some fragment of data—some fleeting speck of light—passed through this server on its brief journey through space and time,” Bynum continued, referring to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which allows copyright holders to send takedown requests to alleged violators. (It’s common for Tor exit node operators to receive such notices. Andrew Lewman, the former executive director of the Tor Project, received 50 DMCA infringement notices in his five years as an operator, as Motherboard reported recently.)

In that case, given that he believes his activities are protected by the DMCA’s “safe harbor” provisions, which exempt service providers from being responsible for the activities of their users, Bynum has a clear message.

"Another hobby of mine is fucking with intellectual-property lawyers [...] So, better luck next time, IP lawyer."

“One hobby of mine is maintaining this exit node. Another hobby of mine is fucking with intellectual-property lawyers [...] So, better luck next time, IP lawyer. Or, go ahead, make my day.”

So far, perhaps because the exit node, which is registered to his law firm, has only been up for a few days, no one has knocked on his door, neither lawyers nor feds, Bynum told Motherboard.

And while he doesn’t think law enforcement agents would bother him, he said he does have “a pit” in his stomach thinking that he might be opening himself up to government abuse and intimidation “for running this software that—funnily enough—the US government itself invented a long time ago.”

Bynum, who said he’s been supporting the Tor Project and other open source endeavors for years, believes that technologies such as encryption and Tor “are necessary for me to do my job effectively today,” given the US government surveillance powers.

“I have to be able to communicate in a way that’s free of government surveillance. That’s something that’s fundamental to what lawyers do,” Bynum said. “I’m ethically required to do [that] for my clients.”

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/why-a-law-firm-is-baiting-cops-with-a-tor-server

3 people like this

You gotta love the start of any new movement made for the people, and by the people!
Great find Talon. Some green for you!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.