Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Tiny Vermont brings food industry to its knees on GMO labels

5 posts in this topic

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - General Mills' announcement on Friday that it will start labeling products that contain genetically modified ingredients to comply with a Vermont law shows food companies might be throwing in the towel, even as they hold out hope Congress will find a national solution.

Tiny Vermont is the first state to require such labeling, effective July 1. Its fellow New England states of Maine and Connecticut have passed laws that require such labeling if other nearby states put one into effect.

The U.S. Senate voted 48-49 Wednesday against a bill that would have blocked such state laws.

The food industry is holding out hope that Congress will prevent states from requiring such labeling. Some companies say they plan to follow Vermont's law, while others are considering pulling their products from the small state.

The Grocery Manufacturers Association has called for a national solution instead of what it says is a patchwork of confusing and costly state labeling laws. It has also challenged Vermont's law in federal court, asking that the law be blocked until the case is resolved. That request was denied and is on appeal.

General Mills' "announcement is the latest example of how Vermont's looming labeling mandate is a serious problem for businesses," the association said in a statement. "Food companies are being forced to make decisions on how to comply and having to spend millions of dollars. One small state's law is setting labeling standards for consumers across the country."

http://www.kvue.com/news/tiny-vermont-brings-food-industry-to-its-knees-on-gmo-labels/91398226

Please explain to me why GMO labeling is such a hardship when the labels are like reading micro-fiction as it is. I've written published stories that were shorter than some of those labels. lmao  

All you have to say is : CONTAINS GMO

and watch your product rot on the shelves!  Because NO ONE WANTS IT. 

I read that people who read labels on products they buy on average weigh 20% less than those who don't.

1 person likes this

Probably true! Oh, btw, I just found out that the Dark Law was defeated. It was a proposed federal law that would prohibit GMO labeling in all of the U.S. states.  That would have made it impossible for Vermont to do this. If that isn't an example of fascism I don't know what is.  It didn't work this time, but they'll be back, they always are. 

Good on them!

We have a right as consumers to know what we are spending our money on and what we are consuming. They don't want it labeled because they still can't convince us it's safe and we won't buy it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.