Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

The Great Trump Wall

26 posts in this topic

Trump is going to build a wall...A great big beautiful wall and he is going to make Mexico pay for it.

What a great idea. No doubt we must close our southern border because without borders we have no country.  Unfortunately, its going to take years and years to build the wall even if the worlds greatest self proclaimed builder is running the show.

This is a very interesting article that explains the logistics of building the Great Trump Wall.

 

What It Would Take to Build Trump’s Border Wall with Mexico

The presidential candidate is pledging the largest infrastructure project since the U.S. highway system. And it makes no sense at all.

If for no other reason, history will remember the 2016 presidential election for Donald Trump’s campaign promise to build a wall across the entire Mexico–U.S. border. Set aside for a moment the rather vexing question of whether Trump will win the White House. Let’s focus on the pitch that could get him there: Could Trump in fact build a Great Wall of Making America Great Again?

As with so many things in this election, the question beggars belief. Trump is pledging the largest infrastructure project since the U.S. highway system—perhaps the most significant infrastructure project since the Erie Canal—and yet he has shared few details about the wall itself. What little Trump has said, namely that he intends for Mexico to pay for it, is unrealistic, to put it mildly.

<snip>

In the here and now, a proposal for a wall crossing state lines might be broken up into smaller constituent projects, to be evaluated independently. This process could open up multiple potential points of failure—objections that an 80-foot-tall wall running through or along the Rio Grande violates the National Environmental Policy Act, for example. Or objections that the wall divides divides certain animal populations, violating the Endangered Species Act. Residents of El Paso may object to an 80-foot wall in their back yard.

It would take an act of Congress to clear the many obstacles to building a Great Wall. That’s one way to guarantee the Corps’ involvement. Congress has the power of the purse to authorize the Corps to take action and the appropriation power to fund that action.

“If Congress puts the language into a bill that says, ‘Go forth and execute,’ providing authorization and funding, then certainly, we as the Corps of Engineers would follow what’s in the law,” Pawlik says.

The Corps would not physically build the wall themselves. For most projects, the Corps engages a “prime” contractor, who then hires on other subcontractors. A wall running thousands of miles through hills, deserts, and rivers would take a major campaign, possibly involving multiple primes. Not to just to build the wall, but to support the builders: to build the roads that would enable the builders to reach the border. No small feat.

<snip>

The price tag for a wall across the border would be yuuge

Building Trump’s wall across the Mexican border might require one-tenth of the cement the U.S. produces in an entire year. Maybe more. Maybe all of it.

Since the height of the Great Wall of Making America Great Again keeps rising, it’s hard to give anything better than a stab in the dark at what it would cost to build, for whoever ends up stuck with the tab. One Daily Kos contributor outlined a plausible-sounding guesstimate regarding the sheer amount of cement it would take to wall off 2,000 miles of mostly natural border.

Bill Palmer Jr., the editor of Concrete Construction, offers that a concrete wall running 80 feet high (including 30 feet below grade), 1 foot thick, and 2,000 miles long would require 31 million cubic yards of cement. “If we made it higher-strength concrete, go to 700 pounds per yard, that’s 21.7 billion pounds of Portland cement, or about 10 percent of U.S. annual consumption,” he writes in an email. Cement is just one ingredient in concrete, and concrete is just one component of a wall-building project.

More:

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2016/03/what-it-would-take-build-trumps-border-wall-mexico/126514/?oref=d-dontmiss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put up a cheap (relatively speaking) chain link fence and electrocute it, 10 feet up and 10 feet down. Sure they may try to tunnel under it, but they'd tunnel under concrete too. Not enough voltage to do damage, just enough to discourage touching. The cost would be less than the illegal immigrants cost once they get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brio said:

Put up a cheap (relatively speaking) chain link fence and electrocute it, 10 feet up and 10 feet down. Sure they may try to tunnel under it, but they'd tunnel under concrete too. Not enough voltage to do damage, just enough to discourage touching. The cost would be less than the illegal immigrants cost once they get in.

I want a moat filled with gators! That would be the easiest solution. You cant dig under it and its pretty easy to see someone crossing in a boat if you line the shore with cameras.

Maybe I should run for President. "Im going to build a moat, a deep, dirty, gator filled moat!" Can I have your vote? LOL

Why do you think castles had moats? Because they work!

 

As a form of defense, moats were quite effective. Castles without moats were vulnerable to attacks from below, since marauders often found the only way to take a castle's inhabitants by surprise was to tunnel underneath the castle and attack from below. Moats, however, made the process of tunneling under a castle nearly impossible.

When moats were filled with water, they were usually deep enough to make it difficult for attackers to wade across. In addition to being difficult to swim with weapons, attackers would be reluctant to try swimming across because they would be too vulnerable to attack from castle guards.

More:

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-did-castles-have-moats

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CGK said:

I want a moat filled with gators!

LMAO!! But fill the moat with pyranhas, much harder to shoot and just as effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brio said:

LMAO!! But fill the moat with pyranhas, much harder to shoot and just as effective.

GREAT Idea! Do you want to be my Vice President?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just find a sinkhole.... near the border! build a house on it with no floor and put up free welfare inside signs. It is china's problem now :D

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Im going to get the guys from the TV show Gold Rush to build my moat. They have all the equipment needed to dig the moat and as a bonus, we are going to turn the moat project into a reality TV series. I charge a network for the series and that will pay the fuel bill for the equipment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CGK said:

GREAT Idea! Do you want to be my Vice President?

:chuckle: Shep has a better plan.

 

2 minutes ago, CGK said:

And Im going to get the guys from the TV show Gold Rush to build my moat. They have all the equipment needed to dig the moat and as a bonus, we are going to turn the moat project into a reality TV series. I charge a network for the series and that will pay the fuel bill for the equipment.

 

Wouldn't it add panache to hillary's campaign if she were your first contestant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Just find a sinkhole.... near the border! build a house on it with no floor and put up free welfare inside signs. It is china's problem now :D

That will only stop a few of them. They are sneaky rascals. The word will get out fast and people would avoid the house.

A moat is the only solution!

Its a win win situation. The moat will bring water to the parched people of the southwest, animals will love it because it will provide food and water for them too. The environmental people would not object to creating more habitat for animals. The ranchers would love free water going through their property. Plus, if we find any precious metals like gold or sliver while we are excavating, we will use that to pay down the national debt.  I just hope we don't find oil, that could complicate matters because we would have to put drilling rigs in the middle of the moat. Oh well, more money to pay down the debt. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CGK said:

That will only stop a few of them. They are sneaky rascals. The word will get out fast and people would avoid the house.

A moat is the only solution!

Its a win win situation. The moat will bring water to the parched people of the southwest, animals will love it because it will provide food and water for them too. The environmental people would not object to creating more habitat for animals. The ranchers would love free water going through their property. Plus, if we find any precious metals like gold or sliver while we are excavating, we will use that to pay down the national debt.  I just hope we don't find oil, that could complicate matters because we would have to put drilling rigs in the middle of the moat. Oh well, more money to pay down the debt. LOL

How will word get out exactly? that is why the sinkhole is perfect. Ain't no one getting back out once they go in :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brio said:

:chuckle: Shep has a better plan.

 

Wouldn't it add panache to hillary's campaign if she were your first contestant?

Hillary can't be on my TV series. This is MY moat..I make the decisions!

Even Mexico will like my idea. They want free water too.

I'm going to make America Great Again by solving this border problem once and for all.

Here is my campaign motto..

VOTE MOAT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.