Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rip

Mars One - Next giant leap for mankind?

29 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard of this project? Basically it's a plan, in place, that is going to create a human settlement on the surface of Mars.

http://www.mars-one.com/

This is a one-way trip to Mars only. The first four to be dropped off will cost a total of six billion dollars. It will cost an additional four billion for every other shipment of humans. I've been following this project for some time now though it is not expected to take place until 2025. There have been a ton of people volunteering for this, which I find to be intriguing. Here is the "Mars 100" profiles of the people whom are now considered candidates:

https://community.mars-one.com/last_activity/ALL/18/82/ALL/ALL/5/3

Apparently they hope to fund this partially by making it televised as a reality show. I am sure by then televisions will be obsolete and we will all just live stream from their website- which I am sure we would have to pay for. Personally, I won't be signing up to be shipped to mars but I will happily pay to watch other people dauntlessly do so.

2 people like this

Saving my money for cryogenic stasis.  When they thaw and resuscitate me 200 years from now,  the technologies for rejuvenation and Mars colonization should have the bugs worked out. Hopefully that will leave me with a little pocket money, then I'll go.

1 person likes this

Isn't Mars a small outpost in Greenland? 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, rip said:

Has anyone heard of this project? Basically it's a plan, in place, that is going to create a human settlement on the surface of Mars.

http://www.mars-one.com/

This is a one-way trip to Mars only. The first four to be dropped off will cost a total of six billion dollars. It will cost an additional four billion for every other shipment of humans. I've been following this project for some time now though it is not expected to take place until 2025. There have been a ton of people volunteering for this, which I find to be intriguing. Here is the "Mars 100" profiles of the people whom are now considered candidates:

https://community.mars-one.com/last_activity/ALL/18/82/ALL/ALL/5/3

Apparently they hope to fund this partially by making it televised as a reality show. I am sure by then televisions will be obsolete and we will all just live stream from their website- which I am sure we would have to pay for. Personally, I won't be signing up to be shipped to mars but I will happily pay to watch other people dauntlessly do so.

I for one cannot wait to leave this rock one way or another. But i'm not going to be the guinea pig that's for sure.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

I for one cannot wait to leave this rock one way or another. But i'm not going to be the guinea pig that's for sure.

lol I would like to leave this rock too, but going to a different rock that is by FAR worse off than this one for life? No thanks! lmao

(I should have stowed  away on the USS Enterprise when it came back in time for a whale in the 80's! lmao)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, grav said:

Awesome find Grav! Wow it will never cease to amaze me how ridiculous NASA is. Never A Straight Answer at it again...

So Mars One will be a reality show sent back to earth via their 54.6 million kilometer internet connection? :rofl:

Edited by Ned Tugent

Give me a dozen Intercontinental Ballistic missiles and some duct tape.

I would provide all immigrants a crater of their very own on the red planet.

I'm sure someone will eventually succeed but I think the first few tries are going to be amazingly difficult with loss of life.

Looking at the conceptual designs of the housing, it seems pretty good, but never being able to walk outside without wearing a space suit would get annoying very quickly.  I hope whoever wants to go there, has considered what that would really be like.  

If it was a two way ticket, it would sound better. They're definitely busy when it comes to ways to raise funds.  

2 hours ago, grav said:

Nope. It is an orange/red dot in the sky.

Greenland is where they test equipment. (among other places with terrain similar to where they plan on sending things)

**Edit: My bad, not Greenland, Devon Island, Canada.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/K10/k10_feature.html

Well this thread could easily turn into another flat earth/space-is-not-what-they-say-it-is debate.  :ph34r: 

It would be fascinating to witness the colonization of Mars but I don't think it will happen for a couple of reasons.
If in fact NASA and others are sending probes and rovers they are certainly not showing us what they're finding.
This could be because Mars is already colonized and possibly inhabited by some of our ancient ancestors.
I'll probably get ridiculed for that but one reason that leads me to believe this is the Soviet Phobos incident.

Phobos, one of the two moons of Mars, has itself always been considered a rather mysterious object, as has its smaller twin, Deimos.

Joseph Shklovskii noted member of the Soviet Academy of science and co-writer with Dr Carl Sagan of 'Intelligent life in the universe', once calculated from the estimated density of the Martian atmosphere and the peculiar "acceleration" of Phobos, that the satellite must be hollow.

Could Phobos be a hollowed-out space station of huge proportions? 

In July 1988, the Russians launched two unmanned satellite probes - Phobos 1 and Phobos 2 - in the direction of Mars, and with the primary intention of investigating the planet's mysterious moon, Phobos. Phobos 1 was unfortunately lost en route two months later, reportedly because of a radio command error.

Phobos 2 was also ultimately lost in the most intriguing circumstances, but not before it had beamed back certain images and information from the planet Mars itself. 

Phobos 2 arrived safely at Mars in January 1989 and entered into an orbit around Mars as the first step at its destination towards its ultimate goal: to transfer to an orbit that the would make it fly almost in tandem with the Martian moonlet called Phobos (hence the spacecrafts name) and explore the moonlet with highly sophisticated equipment that included two packages of instruments to be placed on the moonlet's surface. 

All went well until Phobos 2 aligned itself with Phobos, the Martian moonlet.

Then, on 28th March, the Soviet mission control center acknowledged sudden communication "problems" with the spacecraft; and Tass, the official Soviet news agency, reported that, 

"Phobos 2 had failed to communicate with Earth as scheduled after completing an operation yesterday around the Martian moon Phobos. Scientists at mission control have been unable to establish stable radio contact."

What had caused the Phobos 2 spacecraft to be lost? 

According to Boris Bolitsky, science correspondent for Radio Moscow, just before radio contact was lost with Phobos 2, several unusual images were radioed back to Earth, described by the Russian as "Quite remarkable features".

A report taken from New Scientist of 8 April 1989, described the following:

"The features are either on the Martian surface or in the lower atmosphere. The features are between 20 and 25 kilometers wide and do not resemble any known geological formation. They are spindle - shaped and proving to be intriguing and puzzling."

An unusual photo of a thin shadow across mars (below left) was shown on the Russian television segment.
-----

INFRARED PHOTOS OF AN UNDERGROUND CITY

Another Phobos picture, released on Canadian TV, presents an infrared scan radiometer image of the Martian surface that showed clearly defined rectangular areas.

These are interconnected with a latticework of perfectly straight channels, much resembling a city block. There were no corresponding surface features taken by regular cameras. This suggests the heat signature of what may be a set of underground cavern or channels that are just too geometrically regular to be formed naturally.

According to Dr. John Becklake of the London Science Museum,

"The city-like pattern is 60 kilometers wide and could be easily be mistaken for an aerial view of Los Angeles."

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/marte/marte_phobos05.htm

Plus, Mars colonization is racist and sexist!

How can our future Mars colonies be free of sexism and racism?

The white, male European conquerors of the New World and 19th-century American pioneers of Manifest Destiny still colour the space age, so is it a myth that we’ll turn nice on Mars?

We’re going to Mars – eventually. The quest to reach the dusty red planet is our version of Manifest Destiny, the 19th-century philosophy that saw Americans spread across their content with the thought and consideration of a chilly lover stealing the duvet in their sleep. There were a lot of different versions of it, but the main themes, as summarised by Wikipedia, should sound quite familiar:

The special virtues of the American people and their institutions; 

America’s mission to redeem and remake the west in the image of agrarian America;

An irresistible destiny to accomplish this essential duty.

So 150 years later, Elon Musk (of Tesla and SpaceX) is arguably the most visible example of Manifest Destiny in the space age. He’s the de facto leader of a western “liberal technocratic” consensus that harbours a long-term ambition to put humans on the red planet. Not because they can, but because they feel wemust. Phil Plait banged his hammer on this particular nail in a recent article for Slate in which he describes a tour of the SpaceX factory:

“[A] feeling I couldn’t put my finger on before suddenly came into focus. The attitude of the people I saw wasn’t just a general pride, as strong as it was, in doing something cool. It was that they were doing something important. And again, not just important in some vague, general way, but critical and quite specific in its endgame: making humans citizens of more than one world. A multiplanet species.”

Manifest Destiny. But historically, this kind of attitude has come with two big problems.

Firstly, destiny is rarely great for the people already at the destination. When Africans moved north to colonise Europe they obliterated the Neanderthals. When Europeans seized the New World, its cultures were virtually extinguished. Luckily the only population on Mars that we know of is a handful of rovers, but no doubt we’ll start a war anyway, before dragging them into some form of slavery or oppression. It’s just what we do.
-----
To paraphrase Douglas Adams: “Space is white. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly white it is.” It’s also very male and European. Women in space-colony fiction have generally been presented as sexy walking vaginas, whose main purpose is to provide the male astronauts with a place to dock their penis at night. This being necessary in order to “ensure the survival of the species”.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2015/may/06/how-can-our-future-mars-colonies-be-free-of-sexism-and-racism

When discussing Humanity’s next move to space, the language we use matters.

DNLee ‎@DNLee5

This Elon Musk's Mission to Mars to save Humanity sermon is White Colonialism Interstellar Manifest Destiny Bullshit. There, I said it!

10:31 PM - 23 Mar 2015

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/urban-scientist/when-discussing-humanity-8217-s-next-move-to-space-the-language-we-use-matters/

:rolleyes:

Welcome rip!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.