Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigRed

U.S. Cyber Command: No question an attack will bring the grid down

4 posts in this topic

The worrying thing here is that nothing can be done to stop any cyber attack. So how do we prepare for this? I think at the very least we need to have a plan for our families. How do the kids get home, or do they just sit and wait for a parent to come? What to do if your spouse's car suddenly stalls in the middle of nowhere, do you have a preppers kit in the car? Lots to think about here! Prepare for the worst but expect the best is what I say.

Adm. Mike Rogers, Cyber Command chief and director of the National Security Agency, recently told a crowd gathered for a security conference in San Francisco that the country should brace for devastating cyberattacks on vulnerable infrastructure.

“It is only a matter of the ‘when,’ not the ‘if’ we’re going to see a nation-state, group or actor engage in destructive behavior against critical infrastructure in the United States,” Rogers said.

Rogers pointed to a recent “very well-crafted attack” on the Ukrainian electrical grid that left more than 200,000 homes and businesses without power as an example of the kind of threat facing the U.S. grid.

According to a State Department investigation into the Ukrainian attack: “The outage was the result of a cyber attack against the networks of the local power company, marking the first blackout to be caused by malicious software.”

But, Rogers warned: ” This isn’t the last we’re going to see this, and that worries me.”

The CYBERCOM chief also noted that terrorists could also use hacking skills to manipulate data crucial to keeping the nation’s infrastructure running smoothly.

“What happens when that same activity is used to manipulate data, to manipulate software or products, and suddenly we can no longer trust the data we’re visually seeing?” he asked.

The short answer is chaos.

http://right.is/tea-party/2016/03/u-s-cyber-command-no-question-an-attack-will-bring-the-grid-down-15270.html

My greatest fear is the grid going down.

Remember this?That was just a test. I remember reading stories about people knocking on doors asking if strangers had any food to spare because they could not buy food since they had no cash and Atm's were down.  Everyone played nice because the power was only out for 24 hours. I suspect after 4 or 5 days there would have been blood in the streets.

2011 Blackout In San Diego, Parts Of Arizona & Baja California Blamed On 'Inadequate Planning'

When a maintenance worker caused the loss of the line operated by Arizona Public Service, it immediately overloaded adjacent systems stretching to California and northern Baja California.

The outage knocked out traffic lights, causing gridlock on roads in the San Diego area. Two reactors at a nuclear power plant along the California coast went offline after losing electricity, and nearly 3.5 million gallons of sewage spilled into the ocean, closing beaches in San Diego.

People on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border spent the night struggling to fall asleep in high temperatures that reached 115 degrees in desert areas. There were no reported deaths or injuries related to the outage.

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/2011-blackout-in-san-diego_n_1468552.html

It hardly bears thinking about, we would all be pretty powerless (pardon the pun) imagine it happening in mid winter..

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.