Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Spring Forward

8 posts in this topic

Don't forget to change your clocks tonight.

This is the weekend when we “spring forward” one hour to observe Daylight Saving Time.   This will occur at 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 13.  The time of 2 a.m. was originally chosen since it was thought it would be the least disruptive to most people’s lives.   We lose an hour of sleep, balancing out that extra hour gained in the autumn. 

More:

http://wtvr.com/2016/03/11/clocks-spring-forward-one-hour-this-weekend/

Let us take our cue from Arizona and opt out of this tomfoolery.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Quick1966 said:

Why do we do this anyway? It doesn't make any sense.:1XqXnoz:

I don't know why we do i it but here is some history on the subject.

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is used to save energy and make better use of daylight. It was first used in 1908 in Thunder Bay, Canada.

First Used in Canada in 1908

In July, 1908, Thunder Bay in Ontario, Canada became the first location to use DST. Other locations in Canada were also early to introduce Daylight Saving bylaws.

On April 23, 1914, Regina in Saskatchewan, Canada implemented DST. The cities of Winnipeg and Brandon in Manitoba followed on April 24, 1916. According to the April 3, 1916, edition of the Manitoba Free Press, Daylight Saving Time in Regina “proved so popular that bylaw now brings it into effect automatically”.

<snip>

DST in the United States

In the US, “Fast Time” as it was called then, was first introduced in 1918 when President Woodrow Wilson signed it into law to support the war effort during World War I. The initiative was sparked by Robert Garland, a Pittsburgh industrialist who had encountered the idea in the UK. Today he is often called the “Father of Daylight Saving”.

Only seven months, later the seasonal time change was repealed. However, some cities, including Pittsburgh, Boston, and New York, continued to use it until President Franklin D. Roosevelt instituted year-round DST in the United States in 1942.

More:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

10 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Why do we do this anyway? It doesn't make any sense.:1XqXnoz:

It was a grand experiment in control. Mr. Sun rises and sets on his own schedule and pays no attention to Mr. Clock.

In reviewing the policies of Mr. Roosevelt we come to the conclusion that he was actually Mr. Tool, stealing the daylight hours along with gold confiscation.

Wait a minute....this clock changing stuff is really a conspiracy to kill off all the old people. I knew it!!!

Why Springing Forward Could Be a Health Risk

When people move their clocks up an hour for Daylight Saving Time, it can lead to a poorer quality of sleep until they adjust. 

Researchers are looking into whether poor sleep quality could lead to an increased risk of having a stroke, especially for people 65 years old and older. Recent studies from the American Heart Association point to a connection between sleep and stroke.

More:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Why-Springing-Forward-Could-Be-a-Health-Risk-371766452.html

Yeh, when you really think about it, it's stupid!  But I like it when the clock goes forward, I have more time to do things outside in the after noon. When they change it back, it's depressing because it gets dark so early, which is natural, but .. whatever... hahahah

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.