Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

Oh shit! NSA data will soon routinely be used for domestic policing that has nothing to do with terrorism

17 posts in this topic

A while back, we noted a report showing that the “sneak-and-peek” provision of the Patriot Act that was alleged to be used only in national security and terrorism investigations has overwhelmingly been used in narcotics cases. Now the New York Times reports that National Security Agency data will be shared with other intelligence agencies like the FBI without first applying any screens for privacy. The ACLU of Massachusetts blog Privacy SOS explains why this is important:

What does this rule change mean for you? In short, domestic law enforcement officials now have access to huge troves of American communications, obtained without warrants, that they can use to put people in cages. FBI agents don’t need to have any “national security” related reason to plug your name, email address, phone number, or other “selector” into the NSA’s gargantuan data trove. They can simply poke around in your private information in the course of totally routine investigations. And if they find something that suggests, say, involvement in illegal drug activity, they can send that information to local or state police. That means information the NSA collects for purposes of so-called “national security” will be used by police to lock up ordinary Americans for routine crimes. And we don’t have to guess who’s going to suffer this unconstitutional indignity the most brutally. It’ll be Black, Brown, poor, immigrant, Muslim, and dissident Americans: the same people who are always targeted by law enforcement for extra “special” attention.

This basically formalizes what was already happening under the radar. We’ve known for a couple of years now that the Drug Enforcement Administration and the IRS were getting information from the NSA. Because that information was obtained without a warrant, the agencies were instructed to engage in “parallel construction” when explaining to courts and defense attorneys how the information had been obtained. If you think parallel construction just sounds like a bureaucratically sterilized way of saying big stinking lie, well, you wouldn’t be alone. And it certainly isn’t the only time that that national security apparatus has let law enforcement agencies benefit from policies that are supposed to be reserved for terrorism investigations in order to get around the Fourth Amendment, then instructed those law enforcement agencies to misdirect, fudge and outright lie about how they obtained incriminating information — see the Stingray debacle. This isn’t just a few rogue agents. The lying has been a matter of policy. We’re now learning that the feds had these agreements with police agencies all over the country, affecting thousands of cases.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/03/10/surprise-nsa-data-will-soon-routinely-be-used-for-domestic-policing-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-terrorism/

:JSfrXsb: why? why? why? why? do they have to keep doing this shit! Enough is enough! Freedom is being eroded as we speak.

I guess we all need to wear one of these now:rJwJ7w9:not like it will help a great deal.

2 people like this

The U.S. governent has clearly broken the social contract if there ever was such a thing.

2 people like this

We have no one to blame but ourselves! Over the past 20 years we have embraced the very technology that they are now using against us. Computers, cell phones, and the internet were supposed to enrich and make our lives easier. Instead we fell into the digital trap and handed them the keys to our kingdoms.

I suppose the only thing left is for people to stand in line for their chip or throw away all electronics and go live in a cave.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, CGK said:

We have no one to blame but ourselves! Over the past 20 years we have embraced the very technology that they are now using against us. Computers, cell phones, and the internet were supposed to enrich and make our lives easier. Instead we fell into the digital trap and handed them the keys to our kingdoms.

I suppose the only thing left is for people to stand in line for their chip or throw away all electronics and go live in a cave.

A balance exists that works! as it does with everything. But i fear it must get worse before it gets better with this particular issue.

4 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

A balance exists that works! as it does with everything. But i fear it must get worse before it gets better with this particular issue.

Oh its going to get worse, you can bet on that!!!

Shep, there is no getting away from surveillance if you live in America!

At every stop light in big cities there is a video camera on the light pole.

Toll roads read your license plate every time you drive on one.

Every single store has cameras in them as well as in the parking lot.

TV cable boxes keep track of what you are watching.

Smart meters collect data as to when you turn on your lights or wash a load of clothes.

ATM's video you when you make a deposit or withdrawal.

Cell phone keep track of where you are via GPS locators.

Cars collect data with a black box and report your location via GPS and OnStar technology. Connecting your phone to your car with Bluetooth sends a location signal too.

When you connect to the internet (unless you have a proxy) your location is detected.

The list goes on and on....

There is no such thing as privacy or freedom any more.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, CGK said:

There is no such thing as privacy or freedom any more.

That tv in your bedroom could be watching you if it's new enough ...

9 minutes ago, Brio said:

That tv in your bedroom could be watching you if it's new enough ...

Yes and that camera on your laptop can turn on whenever it wants too.  I keep tape over my camera.  LOL

Just now, CGK said:

Yes and that camera on your laptop can turn on whenever it wants too.  I keep tape over my camera.  LOL

Yup, that would freak me out too. I ordered my laptop in 2009, no camera and I cling to win XP. Analog meter, no cell phone and the only tv in the house is in the basement (a very new wide screen lol) where I don't have to look at it. And my husband doesn't have to listen me having to listen it :lol_alpha:

1 minute ago, Brio said:

Yup, that would freak me out too. I ordered my laptop in 2009, no camera and I cling to win XP. Analog meter, no cell phone and the only tv in the house is in the basement (a very new wide screen lol) where I don't have to look at it. And my husband doesn't have to listen me having to listen it :lol_alpha:

I don't care if they want to watch me or not. They can watch everything I do if they want to. The can listen to my phone calls, monitor my online purchases, watch me wander around in a store, clean my house, mow the lawn, pick up dog crap in the yard. I have nothing to hide so If they want to waste tax payer money watching me...Have at it!

1 hour ago, CGK said:

I don't care if they want to watch me or not. They can watch everything I do if they want to. The can listen to my phone calls, monitor my online purchases, watch me wander around in a store, clean my house, mow the lawn, pick up dog crap in the yard. I have nothing to hide so If they want to waste tax payer money watching me...Have at it!

Nor am I the one with something to hide. They can watch me if I can watch them.

Posted (edited)

This is amazing. LOL.  From 2000Congress is a crime wave

After researching public records, newspaper articles, civil court transcripts, and criminal records, Capitol Hill Blue discovered that::
* 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.
* 7 have been arrested for fraud.
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
* 3 have been arrested for assault.
* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for acredit card.
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.
* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.

And these are the people who are deciding WE need to be 'watched'?

ETA: I say 'we' because BC premier Gordon Campbell was pulled over in Hawaii for a DUI and never charged.

Edited by Brio

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.