Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Historic Flooding In The South

27 posts in this topic

This is real doom! There is a mandatory evacuation of 3500 homes due to flooding in Louisiana alone. With all this rain you can bet a major Zika outbreak will be making headlines soon.

From the Gulf Coast all the way up into southern Illinois, a days-long rain and storm event is underway, spelling major concerns about severe flooding that may affect millions. Three deaths have been confirmed and roughly 3,500 homes have been evacuated by the flooding brought by this storm system.

The storms persisted on Wednesday, with the heaviest rainfall hammering eastern Texas, western Louisiana and much of Arkansas. Rivers quickly rose near record flood stages and homes were submerged in what the National Weather Service in Shreveport is calling a historic flash flooding event.

Gov. John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency for several parishes and sent the National Guard to help with water rescues. In Bossier Parish, shocking images of nearly submerged homes surfaced Tuesday morning.

More:

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/south-severe-weather-flooding-impacts

In related weather news...

Hurricane force winds hit the Oregon Coast Wednesday afternoon and have remained strong through the night.

The National Weather Service issued a Hurricane Force Wind Warning that extends from Ocean Park, Wash. to Cannon Beach, Lincoln City and Florence, Ore. The peak of the storm is expected to hit between 6 and 11 p.m. Wednesday with the potential of wind gusts reaching speeds of 85 mph. The warning on Wednesday night was extended until 2 a.m. Thursday.

Wednesday evening, 88 mph gusts had already been recorded in Cape Meares, according to KGW meteorologist Matt Zaffino. Gusts were measured at 74 mph in Astoria, according to NWS.

People were warned that waves could rapidly build to 30 feet high Wednesday night and dangerous rip tides may develop as well.

<snip>

Winds 75 mph and stronger are classified as "hurricane force." Wednesday marked only the sixth time the NWS has ever issued a Hurricane Wind Warning in Oregon.

More:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/high-winds-expected-in-metro-area-oregon-coast/74636870

Posted (edited)

Interesting.  The Lake Charles,  La. and eastern Texas refineries announced some time last year that upgrades and expansion would create at least 10 years worth of peak capacity employment in that region.  Over 15,000 long term construction jobs with at least 5,000 permanent refinery jobs. It has been talked about before, California waging a weather war on Texas to manipulate oil prices and if that is the case, wouldn't the resulting weather patterns effect Oregon as a side effect of that weather manipulation?  Maybe someone who keeps better track of the status of the weather manipulation can answer that for me. 

I know the work is going on because it affects my job in the Baton Rouge area.  We are struggling to fill construction jobs because the Lake Charles area is paying better.  Supply and demand and all that. 

So, it seems the weather wars continue. 

Edited by octopus prime

18 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

Interesting.  The Lake Charles,  La. and eastern Texas refineries announced some time last year that upgrades and expansion would create at least 10 years worth of peak capacity employment in that region.  Over 15,000 long term construction jobs with at least 5,000 permanent refinery jobs. It has been talked about before, California waging a weather war on Texas to manipulate oil prices and if that is the case, wouldn't the resulting weather patterns effect Oregon as a side effect of that weather manipulation?  

I know the work is going on because it affects my job in the Baton Rouge area.  We are struggling to fill construction jobs because the Lake Charles area is paying better.  Supply and demand and all that. 

So, it seems the weather wars continue. 

Weather wars? Are you talking HAARP? 

I'm skipping the big plant show this weekend at LSU because the creek on my road floods after heavy rains. So far, nothing much.

I wasn't aware of a shortage of construction workers in BR. Your employer or union must be stricter than my husband's. Mexicans, legal and not, have taken beaucoup jobs in the state. After Katrina, hispanics were all over New Orleans. They have been shipped all over the country by now. Just try to find an American to do skilled labor now -- one who can pass a drug test and shows up for work reliably. 

4 minutes ago, grav said:

I'm skipping the big plant show this weekend at LSU because the creek on my road floods after heavy rains. So far, nothing much.

I wasn't aware of a shortage of construction workers in BR. Your employer or union must be stricter than my husband's. Mexicans, legal and not, have taken beaucoup jobs in the state. After Katrina, hispanics were all over New Orleans. They have been shipped all over the country by now. Just try to find an American to do skilled labor now -- one who can pass a drug test and shows up for work reliably. 

Well,   happen to work for an electrical contractor,  skilled labor is getting harder to find.  Scaffold builders don't really fall into that category and that's where you find the majority of Mexicans.  Just finished up the Methanex-Geismar phase II project and am currently at Dow-Plaquemine. The problems with finding qualified electricians are numerous.  Everything from retirement of experience to people fresh out of nccer school who think they deserve top dollar even though they have no practical experience.   

I talk to  safety managers in other crafts,  such as welding with Cajun and pipe fitters with KBR, and it's pretty much consensus.  Qualified people go where the money is or have permanent jobs. When places like Lake Charles open up, it just makes it more difficult.  

Wait a min where the hell have I been. At least in se Louisiana our weather hasn't been bad lately but where my house is, if the Pearl River floods it may not be good. So I wake up in pain(neck killing me) and now am going to check the weather and ck my sand bags.  I can only hope that others in sw La are doing good with all their weather lately.  

18 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

Well,   happen to work for an electrical contractor,  skilled labor is getting harder to find.  Scaffold builders don't really fall into that category and that's where you find the majority of Mexicans.  Just finished up the Methanex-Geismar phase II project and am currently at Dow-Plaquemine. The problems with finding qualified electricians are numerous.  Everything from retirement of experience to people fresh out of nccer school who think they deserve top dollar even though they have no practical experience.   

I talk to  safety managers in other crafts,  such as welding with Cajun and pipe fitters with KBR, and it's pretty much consensus.  Qualified people go where the money is or have permanent jobs. When places like Lake Charles open up, it just makes it more difficult.  

I know exactly what you mean with the manual jobs the past few years. Heck even the tug boat jobs have fallen off (former tanker man) and are hard to come by. But in my current industry (life insurance) there's tons of jobs open all over the state. 

39 minutes ago, grav said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.intellihub.com/weather-warfare-is-texas-being-attacked-with-weather-manipulation-technology-in-advance-of-jade-helm/&ved=0ahUKEwiXvpzvqbbLAhWJWD4KHbDXDDkQFggiMAI&usg=AFQjCNF0F7yuqNEZSP-hzOjVk6pcOdwshA&sig2=OatgJ5F9Gw-RKh4OFJL58Q

This article,  I believe,  was discussed on this board some time ago. Weather warfare. I  only visit this site periodically so I didn't remember right away.

23 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

Plants are pickier than other employers when they hire. Their tests weed out undesirable people who can't read or write well enough, can't use a tape measure, pass a background check, etc. But go to other job sites and you will see Mexicans doing ALL the carpentry, sheet rock, painting, insulation, brick-laying, you name it. Americans, black and white, want to go to college and get a desk job. Lotsa luck with that! Try getting an American service rep on the phone. 

Louisiana is a wetland. Fact. South of I-10/I-12 is a disaster waiting to happen. Talk about weather wars and Katrina! That thing had no ### reason to turn and push water into Pontchartrain and the Mr. Go that the Corps of Engineers built, along with the designed-to-fail levees and flood walls.

Louisiana is destined for destruction, imo. I'm glad I live in the "hill country" in East Feliciana, almost Mississippi. I'm glad my sons don't work in plants too. My friend's husband was a chemist at Dow. He had colon cancer decades ago. Maybe contract workers have less exposure to the chemicals. Another friend's husband retired from Exxon and is healthy.  Dunno, but if a catastrophe hits the river where all the plants are, we will have a helluva mess.

Do I believe weather modification exists? Yes. For quite a long time. A village in England, Scotland maybe?, had a monster rainfall which the RAF created. It killed a lot of people but was swept under the rug. I'm guessing, but it may have taken place in the 70s.

22 minutes ago, grav said:

Plants are pickier than other employers when they hire. Their tests weed out undesirable people who can't read or write well enough, can't use a tape measure, pass a background check, etc. But go to other job sites and you will see Mexicans doing ALL the carpentry, sheet rock, painting, insulation, brick-laying, you name it. Americans, black and white, want to go to college and get a desk job. Lotsa luck with that! Try getting an American service rep on the phone. 

That's why I have very little sympathy for people who cry "I can't find a job because all the Mezcuns are taking them." There's jobs out there,  they just think they're above the work, too entitled to do it. Through decisions I made in my younger days, I wound up in plant construction.  It's a place where college drop outs can one day make 6 figures if they put in the physical work early on. Not my first choice by a long shot,  but it's put 3 boys through college with 2 more to go.  I just had to realize now one would do it for me and make the most out of what was available.  I don't regret it. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, octopus prime said:

That's why I have very little sympathy for people who cry "I can't find a job because all the Mezcuns are taking them." There's jobs out there,  they just think they're above the work, too entitled to do it. Through decisions I made in my younger days, I wound up in plant construction.  It's a place where college drop outs can one day make 6 figures if they put in the physical work early on. Not my first choice by a long shot,  but it's put 3 boys through college with 2 more to go.  I just had to realize now one would do it for me and make the most out of what was available.  I don't regret it. 

You are absolutely correct there!  That is why I'm a huge fan of Mike Rowe.  He says you don't need a college degree to make good money...just a willingness to do what other people won't.   Hard work always pays off.  

College isn't for everyone, and shouldn't be for everyone.  I know of some welders who make a killing with no formal education beyond HS.  My own brother, a college dropout, builds $800k homes and effing kills it.  College wasn't his thing.  He started as a trim carpenter, barely putting food on the table, and now he is a very successful builder.  

I used to do a presentation with new hires at a company I worked for.  I would always tell them that my college degree wasn't my success story.  I could have gotten where I am without it.  My advise for anyone who wanted to be successful was always the same.  Work harder than the guy next to you.  It really is that simple.  

2 people like this

BTW, I apologize to the O.P. for getting off topic.  I  have a whole laundry list of the problems this country has as I'm sure everyone else here does as well.  I promise to do better,  lol.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.