Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Russia warns North Korea over threats of nuclear strike

14 posts in this topic

One of Pyongyang’s few remaining allies says country is in danger of creating legal grounds for international military intervention. NK News reports

Russia has warned North Korea that threats to deliver “preventive nuclear strikes” could create a legal basis for the use of military force against the country, suggesting that even Pyongyang’s few remaining friends are growing concerned about its increasingly confrontational stance.

The Russian foreign ministry statement, which follows a North Korean threat to “annihilate” the US and South Korea, also criticises Washington and Seoul for launching the largest joint military drills yet to be held on the peninsula.

North Korea threatens to reduce US and South Korea to 'flames and ash'

“We consider it to be absolutely impermissible to make public statements containing threats to deliver some ‘preventive nuclear strikes’ against opponents,” the Russian foreign ministry said in response to North Korea’s threats.

“Pyongyang should be aware of the fact that in this way the DPRK will become fully opposed to the international community and will create international legal grounds for using military force against itself in accordance with the right of a state to self-defense enshrined in the United Nations Charter,” continued the statement, translated by Itar Tass news agency.

Washington and Seoul launched their annual joint military exercises on the peninsula on Monday, stepping up the manoeuvres in response to North Korea’s fourth nuclear test in January and rocket launch in February.

But while the statement said Moscow was opposed to the tone of North Korea’s response, it also said the scale of the American-South Korean joint exercise put “unprecedented … military and political pressure on Pyongyang”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/08/russia-warns-north-korea-nuclear-strike

So, even Russia is getting bent about N. Korea's stance.  I don't blame N. Korea for being nervous about large scale drills, we are worried about the same thing here in the U.S. and in the UK because there have been way too many drills that have gone live, 9/11 was a classic example and the bus explosions in the UK. The list goes on. 

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

One of Pyongyang’s few remaining allies says country is in danger of creating legal grounds for international military intervention. NK News reports

Russia has warned North Korea that threats to deliver “preventive nuclear strikes” could create a legal basis for the use of military force against the country, suggesting that even Pyongyang’s few remaining friends are growing concerned about its increasingly confrontational stance.

The Russian foreign ministry statement, which follows a North Korean threat to “annihilate” the US and South Korea, also criticises Washington and Seoul for launching the largest joint military drills yet to be held on the peninsula.

“We consider it to be absolutely impermissible to make public statements containing threats to deliver some ‘preventive nuclear strikes’ against opponents,” the Russian foreign ministry said in response to North Korea’s threats.

“Pyongyang should be aware of the fact that in this way the DPRK will become fully opposed to the international community and will create international legal grounds for using military force against itself in accordance with the right of a state to self-defense enshrined in the United Nations Charter,” continued the statement, translated by Itar Tass news agency.

Washington and Seoul launched their annual joint military exercises on the peninsula on Monday, stepping up the manoeuvres in response to North Korea’s fourth nuclear test in January and rocket launch in February.

But while the statement said Moscow was opposed to the tone of North Korea’s response, it also said the scale of the American-South Korean joint exercise put “unprecedented … military and political pressure on Pyongyang”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/08/russia-warns-north-korea-nuclear-strike

So, even Russia is getting bent about N. Korea's stance.  I don't blame N. Korea for being nervous about large scale drills, we are worried about the same thing here in the U.S. and in the UK because there have been way too many drills that have gone live, 9/11 was a classic example and the bus explosions in the UK. The list goes on. 

Hmm.... I think if they attack north korea a shit storm will hit the international stage..... But thats just what i think? anyone else agree?

4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Hmm.... I think if they attack north korea a shit storm will hit the international stage..... But thats just what i think? anyone else agree?

I disagree.  With all the rhetoric and posturing that NK talks, I think that most countries would just shrug it off.

Any action taken by Russia, for me anyway, would be seen as spanking of an unruly child. I don't see the strategic usefulnes of NK for Russia. 

I'm probably wrong but I don't think China would even intervene.  They might be glad that someone else has to deal with them for a change.

"threatens", as opposed to actually being reduced to 'flames and ash' by the USA during the illegal invasion of Korea after WWII.

The US complaining is like Hitler and the Nazis complaining.

The Korean War was a bloody conflict. It left Korea, North and South, with several million dead and the UN forces involved in the fighting with over 100,000 casualties. But despite fighting as intense and as violent as any other conflict since World War Two, Korea has always been history's 'Forgotten War'.

...US commanders repeatedly, and without ambiguity, ordered forces under their control to target and kill Korean refugees caught on the battlefield.

While atrocities conducted both by North and South Korean forces have already been documented, recently a much darker side to the US involvement in the Korean War has begun to emerge. It casts a shadow over the conduct of US forces during the conflict, particularly of officers and generals in command. Declassified military documents recently found in the US National Archives show clearly how US commanders repeatedly, and without ambiguity, ordered forces under their control to target and kill Korean refugees caught on the battlefield. More disturbing still have been the published testimonies of Korean survivors who recall such killings, and the frank accounts of those American veterans brave enough to admit involvement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/coldwar/korea_usa_01.shtml

Did Russia warn Iran too?

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has test-fired several ballistic missiles, state television said, challenging a United Nations resolution and drawing a threat of a diplomatic response from the United States.

Two months ago, Washington imposed sanctions against businesses and individuals linked to Iran’s missile programme over a test of the medium-range Emad missile carried out in October 2015.

A US State Department spokesman, Mark Toner, said Washington would review the incident and, if it is confirmed, raise it in the UN security council and seek an “appropriate response”.

More:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/08/iran-ballistic-missile-test-us-un-response

3 hours ago, puddle said:

"threatens", as opposed to actually being reduced to 'flames and ash' by the USA during the illegal invasion of Korea after WWII.

The US complaining is like Hitler and the Nazis complaining.

This is now. This is Russia. Threats lead to actions.  Welcome to 2016. 

The US is to weak to respond to any actual threat,by N Korea or Iran. Neither country is worried about us, so long as BHO is in office.

Aren't we tired of boogeymen, already?

Before the atomic age and fake news stories, people didn't have to cower under their desks in fear which leads me to believe that in the 21st century the dogs are bigger and the ponies are merely farting unicorns. The show must go on!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

This is now. This is Russia. Threats lead to actions.  Welcome to 2016. 

And you can't grasp how and why Korea acts like it does when it has the worse terrorist group/nation in the world, by light years, threatening it with nuclear annihilation?

The US brought nuclear weapons into the Korean sphere in 1958, in direct violation of the armistice agreement. Why would anyone in their right mind ever trust the USA on anything? 

9 minutes ago, puddle said:

And you can't grasp how and why Korea acts like it does when it has the worse terrorist group/nation in the world, by light years, threatening it with nuclear annihilation?

The US brought nuclear weapons into the Korean sphere in 1958, in direct violation of the armistice agreement. Why would anyone in their right mind ever trust the USA on anything? 

Go to the first post I put up and actually read what I said, puddle.  Your overzealous slamming of America is redundant at this point. 

The truth hardly constitutes slamming. 

Would you say that the USA has been overzealously and gratuitously slamming the USSR/Russia for almost a century?

Just now, puddle said:

The truth hardly constitutes slamming. 

Would you say that the USA has been overzealously and gratuitously slamming the USSR/Russia for almost a century?

Go read my post and reply to it, don't skirt. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.