Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

iPhone owners baffled by 'ghostly' messages sent from the past

4 posts in this topic

Mysterious emails dating from 1970 have been turning up in baffled iPhone users' inboxes.

The ghostly communications have no subject, sender or contents either.

Confused smartphone users have been taking to social media to ask if these mysterious messages could be damaging.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/iphone-owners-baffled-ghostly-messages-7513119

LOL What is going on here? 

3 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Mysterious emails dating from 1970 have been turning up in baffled iPhone users' inboxes.

The ghostly communications have no subject, sender or contents either.

Confused smartphone users have been taking to social media to ask if these mysterious messages could be damaging.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/iphone-owners-baffled-ghostly-messages-7513119

LOL What is going on here? 

Seems to be a glitch but i'd like to believe its time traveling steve jobs!

I think this is a story.. Ray Tomlinson who died earlier in the week sent his first email (the first ever) in 1971 - it would have taken a year or two before anyone else could use the technology.  I smell a rat!

1970 is a very important year in UNIX based systems:

Early versions of unix measured system time in 1/60 s intervals. This meant that a 32-bit unsigned integer could only represent a span of time less than 829 days. For this reason, the time represented by the number 0 (called the epoch) had to be set in the very recent past. As this was in the early 1970s, the epoch was set to 1971-1-1.

Later, the system time was changed to increment every second, which increased the span of time that could be represented by a 32-bit unsigned integer to around 136 years. As it was no longer so important to squeeze every second out of the counter, the epoch was rounded down to the nearest decade, thus becoming 1970-1-1. One must assume that this was considered a bit neater than 1971-1-1.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1090869/why-is-1-1-1970-the-epoch-time

An iPhone bug has arisen, as they do from time to time, that will render your device completely unusable. In this case if you set its clock to January 1, 1970, it’s brick city. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, why would I ever set my iPhone clock back to the Nixon administration. To which I say, you have forgotten that this is the Internet, a place full of unspeakable trickery!

Do not do this! Firstly because it makes no sense, Apple didn’t even exist until 1976. More importantly, though, don’t do it because it will turn your iPhone into a very expensive rock until you’re able to finagle a Genius Bar appointment. Restoring through iTunes won’t help. You’ll need an actual physical fix, or possibly a new phone.

The bug appears to only affect 64-bit iOS devices, meaning iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 and newer are affected. It’s almost certainly related to the same Unix glitch that caused Facebook to wish people a happy 46 years on the service; the date 1/1/70 has an internal value of zero on a Unix system, which in this case is leading to a software freakout. The why and who are less important, though, than the what, and the what is: don’t set your phone’s calendar back. Live in the present. It’ll save you a lot of future headaches.

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/dont-set-your-iphone-back-to-1970-no-matter-what/

This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. I have no idea if there is any connection to the messages people are receiving but found the year 1970, of all years, interesting to say the least.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.