Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rothbard

Facebook Monitoring

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To my embarrassment, I'm a Facebook user.

I know some of you are closet Facebook users as well and I have a question for you.  Have you been getting unknown people accepting your friend requests which you never sent?

I first got some mountain biking lady that "accepted" my friend request.  I didn't know her and never sent a request - I just don't do it.  Is it just coincidence that she's also a mountain biking aficionado like me?  That was strange.  I defriended her a day or so ago.

Then I got a new one today, this one from a flat earther.  No photos and no history, just flat earth posts.  He "accepted" my friend request which again I know I never sent. 

Is anyone else experiencing this because I'm thinking this is more than just glitches?

Edited by Rothbard

I have an account but haven't logged into it since last year. I should check to see if I have new friends! It sounds like FB has taken their advertising algorithm one step further into the land of robots and now you're linked forever to .......subversives? even though defriended.

They're makin' a list and checkin' it twice...........yeah, it's creepy mind games they are playing with you...probably in response to your radio show. They expect you to panic so show them the middle finger, psychically, of course.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Frankenstein said:

Are you sure your account hasn't been hacked?

Sure, it's possible but just a few unknown "accepted" friends doesn't seem to fit but maybe I should change the password. 

One more thing, the first one I noticed was a pretty lady into mountain bikes - I love mountain biking (but I know I didn't send the friend request); she also accepted my nonexistent friend request - why would she accept it from a stranger?  The second person is a flat earther.  I don't speak about flat earth much on Facebook (maybe a hint here and there) but this person just happens to match my interest again.  In other words, these new "friends" match people whom I would normally try to be friends with or would not be alarmed by their friendship. 

Edited by Rothbard

Posted (edited)

up here in canuckistan they teach our young'uns to know they are being monitored,

so it is no surprise the authorities know our thoughts, we expect it (and sadly, most welcome it)

Edited by seeker

1 hour ago, Rothbard said:

Sure, it's possible but just a few unknown "accepted" friends doesn't seem to fit but maybe I should change the password. 

One more thing, the first one I noticed was a pretty lady into mountain bikes - I love mountain biking (but I know I didn't send the friend request); she also accepted my nonexistent friend request - why would she accept it from a stranger?  The second person is a flat earther.  I don't speak about flat earth much on Facebook (maybe a hint here and there) but this person just happens to match my interest again.  In other words, these new "friends" match people whom I would normally try to be friends with or would not be alarmed by their friendship. 

She's either a bot or a plant. I've gotten random friend requests from strangers but I just ignore them as biker lady should have.

Posted (edited)

52 minutes ago, seeker said:

up here in canuckistan they teach our young'uns to know they are being monitored,

so it is no surprise the authorities know our thoughts, we expect it (and sadly, most welcome it)

I'm reading 1984 again - I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it in the last few years because you see things even clearer now and it's shocking.  In 1984, everyone had a telescreen which allowed for monitoring of every human person. 

"Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

Who would've thought that the innocuous Facebook would be our volunteer "telescreen"?

Edited by Rothbard
1 person likes this

1984 didn't even suggest that you would be recorded in case they needed to go back and produce retroactive thoughtcrime or other illegal activities...

what a difference 30 years makes (considering 1984 as the reference point, not the actual year the book was written)...

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Rothbard said:

I'm reading 1984 again - I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it in the last few years because you see things even clearer now and it's shocking.  In 1984, everyone had a telescreen which allowed for monitoring of every human person. 

"Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

Who would've thought that the innocuous Facebook would be our volunteer "telescreen"?

Funny thing.  Remember the most recent version of the Xbox to come out?  How it had a camera which had to be on at all times if you wanted to go online with the device.  I think Microsoft changed the policy after people complained, but for a while people were covering the camera with shirts and things.

1 person likes this

On 3/7/2016 at 11:49 AM, Rothbard said:

What might be considered too, is that those not on facebook will be watched more than those who are. Simple matter to plug the query into a biogeodatabase and learn who isn't signed up, if not why not?

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.