Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucy Barnable

Can a 3-year-old represent herself in immigration court?

16 posts in this topic

Judge in Seattle case thinks so

A senior Justice Department official is arguing that 3- and 4-year-olds can learn immigration law well enough to represent themselves in court, staking out an unconventional position in a growing debate over whether immigrant children facing deportation are entitled to taxpayer-funded attorneys.

Jack Weil, a longtime immigration judge who is responsible for training other judges, made the assertion in sworn testimony in a deposition in federal court in Seattle. His comments highlighted the plight of thousands of juveniles who are forced to defend themselves each year in immigration court amid the surge of children crossing the southwest border from Central America.

“I’ve taught immigration law literally to 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds,’’ Weil said. “It takes a lot of time. It takes a lot of patience. They get it. It’s not the most efficient, but it can be done.’’

He repeated his claim twice in the deposition, also saying, “I’ve told you I have trained 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds in immigration law,’’ according to a transcript. “You can do a fair hearing. It’s going to take you a lot of time.’’

Legal and child psychology experts ridiculed Weil’s assertions, noting that key milestones for 3- and 4-year-olds include cooperating with other children, saying simple sentences and building towers of blocks.
-----
Weil is not just any immigration official. As an assistant chief immigration judge in EOIR’s Office of the Chief Immigration Judge – which sets and oversees policies for the nation’s 58 immigration courts – he is responsible for coordinating the Justice Department’s training of immigration judges.
-----
Unlike in felony criminal cases in federal court, children charged with violating immigration laws have no right to appointed counsel, even though the government is represented by Department of Homeland Security attorneys.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/can-a-3-year-old-represent-herself-in-immigration-court-judge-in-seattle-case-thinks-so/

:lulz3:

Okay, I don't want to waste tax payers money on appointed attorneys for these little law breakers either... but really?
If he thinks they can understand immigration law then surely they must be able to remember a relatives phone number.
Have them call their family in Central America and send them home with the bill.

Flow of Illegal Immigrant Children Into U.S. Expected to Rise in 2016

The flow of illegal immigrant children into the United States is expected to rise to record-breaking numbers in 2016 as deportations decrease, according to leading members of the Senate’s Judiciary Committee.

At least 20,455 unaccompanied minors have been caught during fiscal year 2016 along the U.S.-Mexico border as of last month, according to committee chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa), who warned that if this trend continues, the number of illegal minors could eclipse a massive 2014 surge that strained the resources of the Department of Homeland Security and prompted investigations into the Obama administration’s handling of the issue.

While illegal border crossings surge, the number of children actually being deported from the United States is declining, senators said during a Tuesday hearing with senior Obama administration officials.

The hearing comes just a day after oversight officials disclosed that the Obama administration has lost track of scores of immigrant children, many of whom are being released from custody to individuals across the United States who have not gone through thorough background checks.

“If these trends continue, we can expect to see an even greater number of minors crossing the border this year than in 2014,” Grassley said. “No one is following up on these individuals when they skip their immigration hearings, unless they are receiving post-release services. They are also not enforcement priorities for this administration. This means a lot of these minors are nowhere to be found.”

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/flow-of-illegal-immigrant-children-into-u-s-expected-to-rise-in-2016/

Is it discriminatory to ask for some form of ID when a child is enrolled in school now?
It seems to me like that would be a good way to find them, if in fact they are children.

It used to be simple....if you are a minor you are in the custody of your parents they are responsible for you. Where they go, you go and THEY speak for you, not the court. These unaccompanied minors should have never been allowed to enter the country in the first place.

This current notion of saving the children is ludicrous without a parent to raise them. They are essentially orphans and not even American orphans like all those poor kids in the foster care system. Orphans have the worst odds of emerging from that system unscathed and becoming productive citizens so there is no reason to take on immigrant orphans when we have so many abandoned kids already.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, YourMom2 said:

It used to be simple....if you are a minor you are in the custody of your parents they are responsible for you. Where they go, you go and THEY speak for you, not the court. These unaccompanied minors should have never been allowed to enter the country in the first place.

This current notion of saving the children is ludicrous without a parent to raise them. They are essentially orphans and not even American orphans like all those poor kids in the foster care system. Orphans have the worst odds of emerging from that system unscathed and becoming productive citizens so there is no reason to take on immigrant orphans when we have so many abandoned kids already.

Agreed.
I would like to know how three and four year olds got here on their own in first place.
Are those toddlers really tough enough to walk across the Mexican desert unharmed?
The idea is absurd. They have parents who are using them to gain amnesty for sure.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Flow of Illegal Immigrant Children Into U.S. Expected to Rise in 2016

The flow of illegal immigrant children into the United States is expected to rise to record-breaking numbers in 2016 as deportations decrease, according to leading members of the Senate’s Judiciary Committee.

At least 20,455 unaccompanied minors have been caught during fiscal year 2016 along the U.S.-Mexico border as of last month, according to committee chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa), who warned that if this trend continues, the number of illegal minors could eclipse a massive 2014 surge that strained the resources of the Department of Homeland Security and prompted investigations into the Obama administration’s handling of the issue.

While illegal border crossings surge, the number of children actually being deported from the United States is declining, senators said during a Tuesday hearing with senior Obama administration officials.

The hearing comes just a day after oversight officials disclosed that the Obama administration has lost track of scores of immigrant children, many of whom are being released from custody to individuals across the United States who have not gone through thorough background checks.

“If these trends continue, we can expect to see an even greater number of minors crossing the border this year than in 2014,” Grassley said. “No one is following up on these individuals when they skip their immigration hearings, unless they are receiving post-release services. They are also not enforcement priorities for this administration. This means a lot of these minors are nowhere to be found.”

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/flow-of-illegal-immigrant-children-into-u-s-expected-to-rise-in-2016/

Is it discriminatory to ask for some form of ID when a child is enrolled in school now?
It seems to me like that would be a good way to find them, if in fact they are children.

I think I mentioned on here before that there are 40 year olds in California high schools now. There's nothing they can do b/c they claim they have no papers and there's no way to find out.  

This is so stupid that anyone would even dream that a 3 year old could represent themselves in immigration court. 

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

I think I mentioned on here before that there are 40 year olds in California high schools now. There's nothing they can do b/c they claim they have no papers and there's no way to find out.  

This is so stupid that anyone would even dream that a 3 year old could represent themselves in immigration court. 

Lol! And just when you thought things couldn't possibly get more ludicrous we get this story! 

5 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

I wonder if you can register your 15 year old white son in any California high school without paperwork. Yeah. right! Have you had your shots? Where are your transcripts? Can you prove that you live in our district? Did you bring your utility bills? In today's predatory society 40 year olds are a danger to children. Just another reason to homeschool.

The answer to the title question is "No". Money is an illusion, so throw some of that bullshit at the problem. That never fixes it. But really now, we're trying children? *smh* "But Jedi! They're illegal!"... Ya know what... go away o.o I'd rather house the illegal orphan than some rightous sob that thinks you can turn away, try, or do whatever other wicked beast system shit to children. From abortion to orpahns being tried as criminals, all to the ends to feed the beast while ppl cheer for thier protected boarders. I'm super American, super into my country. i dare say a nationalist, but thanks to nazis, it holds a negative light, so I'm just going with "Pro-America" kinda american. And part of america is taking in those that need, and giving them the opprotunityto rise to heights they couldn't dream of. Everyone wants to wake the world up from the American dream, but honestly, it was better when we were trying to make it reality, instead of waking up from it. 

And zero discussion about who has created all the unrest in these countries the children are fleeing. 

And part of america is taking in those that need, and giving them the opprotunityto rise to heights they couldn't dream of. Everyone wants to wake the world up from the American dream, but honestly, it was better when we were trying to make it reality, instead of waking up from it. 

"The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."

-George Carlin

They might well have reached those lofty heights had the US actually supported democracy in those Central and South American countries instead of installing a US right wing dictator to help Americans steal all their wealth. 

Imagine, trading with countries instead of invading them and stealing from them.

What a novel idea!! Why didn't we ever think of that?

"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."

--William Shakespeare

4 hours ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

The answer to the title question is "No". Money is an illusion, so throw some of that bullshit at the problem. That never fixes it. But really now, we're trying children? *smh* "But Jedi! They're illegal!"... Ya know what... go away o.o I'd rather house the illegal orphan than some rightous sob that thinks you can turn away, try, or do whatever other wicked beast system shit to children. From abortion to orpahns being tried as criminals, all to the ends to feed the beast while ppl cheer for thier protected boarders. I'm super American, super into my country. i dare say a nationalist, but thanks to nazis, it holds a negative light, so I'm just going with "Pro-America" kinda american. And part of america is taking in those that need, and giving them the opprotunityto rise to heights they couldn't dream of. Everyone wants to wake the world up from the American dream, but honestly, it was better when we were trying to make it reality, instead of waking up from it. 

I have a hard time believing they're orphans but if they are how did they get here?
Either they walked from Central America to Seattle, by themselves, up hill, in the snow, both ways, or...
They were smuggled into the country by a parent or a kidnapper and then, what? Abandoned on the courthouse steps?
The second article states that many of them are released into custody of people here in the US (and then go missing). Relatives?
If they have family they can live with already here then they're not really orphans and why aren't those adults representing them in court?
If they don't, then what? Are they then placed in our corrupt and over burdened foster care system where kids also go missing?
Wouldn't it be better to spend the time and money to reunite them with family members in their country of origin?
I'm sure grandparents or aunts and uncles would want these incredibly tough and intelligent tykes back.

1 hour ago, Lucy Barnable said:

I have a hard time believing they're orphans but if they are how did they get here?
Either they walked from Central America to Seattle, by themselves, up hill, in the snow, both ways, or...
They were smuggled into the country by a parent or a kidnapper and then, what? Abandoned on the courthouse steps?
The second article states that many of them are released into custody of people here in the US (and then go missing). Relatives?
If they have family they can live with already here then they're not really orphans and why aren't those adults representing them in court?
If they don't, then what? Are they then placed in our corrupt and over burdened foster care system where kids also go missing?
Wouldn't it be better to spend the time and money to reunite them with family members in their country of origin?
I'm sure grandparents or aunts and uncles would want these incredibly tough and intelligent tykes back.

I'm sure their relatives would love them back so they can put em back to work in the field, but if you survived the trip with all those troubles ya mention, then God bless, you deserve a shot to atleast put your name on some paper to be provided a shot at becoming an american.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.