Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Two Billion People Eat Insects and You Can Too

16 posts in this topic

Edible insects have long been a part of the human diet and are commonly consumed as a food source in many regions of the world, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). It is estimated that two billion people currently consume insects as part of their diets. Insects may be an increasingly important source of protein because of the rising cost of animal protein, food insecurity, environmental pressures, climate change, and population growth.

Edible insects often contain high-quality protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids for humans. According to the FAO, insects have a high food conversion rate—crickets need 12 times less feed than cattle, four times less than sheep, and half as much feed as pigs and broiler chickens to produce the same amount of protein.

Crickets and other edible insects provide food at low environmental cost, contribute positively to health, and are abundant throughout the planet. Insects are extremely efficient at converting feed into food. While 0.454 kilograms (one pound) of beef requires 11.35 kilograms (25 pounds) of food, 0.454 kilograms (one pound of crickets) requires a mere 0.908 kilograms (two pounds) of feed.

Edible insects can also be more environmentally friendly than livestock. They emit fewer greenhouse gases and ammonia than conventional livestock and can be fed on organic waste streams. 

Many companies are developing insect products because they can be delicious, healthy, and sustainable. Food Tank has compiled an exciting list of companies and organizations that are leading the insect revolution:

http://foodtank.com/news/2016/03/two-billion-people-eat-insects-and-you-can-too

Ummm... hell no.  Not unless I'm starving to death!  Click the link to see where you, too, can order creepy crawlers to add to your menu.

Posted (edited)

Translation.... they are already feeding us insects in our food products.

I can tell that based on the "cost saving" factors mentioned.  All any board member or CEO needs to hear is that point and that company's hot dogs made from inverted pig assholes will now be made with barrels of low cost crickets and grass hoppers and ants and whatever insect is easily attained and reproduce rapidly.   How would we really know the difference?  All they have to add are flavor enhancers like MSG that can make dog shit taste like tootsie rolls.... so pretty much no change in taste there so bad example, lol.   You know what I mean though.  

Insects can be considered a "natural flavor", correct?  Legally speaking that is?   If the labels say "natural flavors", that pretty much gives them free range to put anything and everything in that product and classify it as "natural flavors".  No one can legally sue them either, especially if they didn't read the label, which 90% of people don't do.   I read every label just in case they change something on my usual brands.  I wanted to buy some mayonaise today to go with my tuna fish, but couldn't find any without EDTA & "natural flavors" and other non edible shit in them so I skipped the mayo.  I'm tired of compromising and we all should be too, otherwise these standards will never change until we just stop buying them all together.

Edited by JibbyJedi
1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, JibbyJedi said:

Translation.... they are already feeding us insects in our food products.

I can tell that based on the "cost saving" factors mentioned.  All any board member or CEO needs to hear is that point and that company's hot dogs made from inverted pig assholes will now be made with barrels of low cost crickets and grass hoppers and ants and whatever insect is easily attained and reproduce rapidly.   How would we really know the difference?  All they have to add are flavor enhancers like MSG that can make dog shit taste like tootsie rolls.... so pretty much no change in taste there so bad example, lol.   You know what I mean though.  

Insects can be considered a "natural flavor", correct?  Legally speaking that is?   If the labels say "natural flavors", that pretty much gives them free range to put anything and everything in that product and classify it as "natural flavors".  No one can legally sue them either, especially if they didn't read the label, which 90% of people don't do.   I read every label just in case they change something on my usual brands.  I wanted to buy some mayonaise today to go with my tuna fish, but couldn't find any without EDTA & "natural flavors" and other non edible shit in them so I skipped the mayo.  I'm tired of compromising and we all should be too, otherwise these standards will never change until we just stop buying them all together.

Food is becoming the enemy. Yeah I think they use some kind of bug to make food a certain color or something, I forgot what that was. (probably selective memory so I don't know what I am eating) I try not to eat things that have more than one ingredient: eggs, meat, fruit, veggies. Anything that comes in a package is def suspect to me.  Look online for mayo recipes, if you're into that kind of thing. I've never tried to make mayo,so I don't know what homemade tastes like, but it's got to be better than the stuff at the store. The recipes were pretty simple and you need a blender. Eggs, dry mustard, oil, vinegar or citrus juice like lime or lemon and oil is about it I think.

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Food is becoming the enemy. Yeah I think they use some kind of bug to make food a certain color or something, I forgot what that was. (probably selective memory so I don't know what I am eating) I try not to eat things that have more than one ingredient: eggs, meat, fruit, veggies. Anything that comes in a package is def suspect to me.  Look online for mayo recipes, if you're into that kind of thing. I've never tried to make mayo,so I don't know what homemade tastes like, but it's got to be better than the stuff at the store. The recipes were pretty simple and you need a blender. Eggs, dry mustard, oil, vinegar or citrus juice like lime or lemon and oil is about it I think.

That's actually great advice I never considered.  I always cook my own meals, cut my dining out down to maybe 5X a year or so, and like you I try to buy the stuff with the least ingredients labeled.  Most peanuts on the market are a paragraph of ingredients.... why?  It's fkn peanuts, lol.  The brand I buy says on the label: "Peanuts, salt"...... that's it.   I stop myself from going too neurotic with, "what kind of salt?" lol 

The fewer the ingredients, the less deadly & toxic it is.  If people choose to eat things they can't even pronounce never mind know what it is, then aren't they asking for whatever they get out of willful ignorance?  That's what I'd say as a neutral judge in a food product poisoning case.... "Did you read the label sir?  No?  Then you welcomed whatever came upon you, case dismissed.":

Honestly, I don't think this is so bad.
If I were starving I would eat an insect before a mammal.
@JibbyJedi is correct, we are already consuming them.

The Truth About Red Food Dye Made from Bugs

Starbucks will stop using a red food dye made from bugs, its president recently wrote in a blog post.

Despite the attention Starbucks has received for using the insect-based dye in some of its products, the coffee purveyor is far from the only user of this additive. Anytime you see an ingredients list that includes carmine, cochineal extract or natural red 4, you can be sure that there's a little powdered bug therein.
-----
Until 2009, cochineal was one of many dyes that fell under the umbrella term "natural color" on ingredients lists. But because cochineal provokes severe allergic reactions in some people, the Food and Drug Administration requires carmine and cochineal extract to be explicitly identified in ingredients lists.

http://www.livescience.com/36292-red-food-dye-bugs-cochineal-carmine.html

How to Farm Insects at Home

One could potentially become a bug hunter and head to a park to try and collect wild insects to cook. But that’s not an ideal solution. “Foraging them from the wild could prove problematic on a number of levels,” says Daniella Martin, who runsGirl Meets Bug.

Conservation biologist Phil Torres notes the issues of “unnecessarily taking animals from the wild,” and Marc Dennis, the founder of Insects Are Food, says that “you do not want to take bugs from the wild, because you don’t know what sort of pesticides or other chemical sources they’ve come into contact with.”

So as it turns out, foraging your own insects is potentially unhealthy for the planet and your body. But if not from the sidewalk, where does one obtain this tiny livestock? Many companies that started as purveyors of food for pet reptiles are now supplying human consumers, as well.

“I’d buy a starter batch of mealworms from a pet store,” says David George Gordon, author of the Eat-A-Bug Cookbook.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/06/small-scale-insect-farming/

I haven't tried it but I'm not opposed to it.
I don't eat meat but a lot of people do feel they need animal protean.

Forget the vegetable patch! This kit lets you grow your own edible INSECTS to help cut down on meat eating

Eating insects may be used as a way to humiliate celebrities in the jungle but bugs are an important source of food in many countries, and this has created a need for reliable insect farmers.

To tackle this problem, California-based firm Tiny Farms has created an Open Bug Farm Kit that lets anyone grow their own protein-rich farm of edible insects. 

Each kit will be sold with an instruction manual and the equipment needed to start a farm, as well as a starter pack of bugs.
-----
The company calls the kit an ‘out-of-the-box, home scale insect farming kit that will allow anyone to start building their own herd of edible bugs.’

It is also setting up an online farm management system that will let farmers track activity in their farms, analyse crops and compare their yield with others.

This system will come with forums so farmers can ask for help and Tiny Farms has plans to make the processes available for free online so people can make their own kits from household items. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515043/Forget-vegetable-patch-This-kit-lets-grow-edible-INSECTS-help-cut-meat-eating.html

Pioneering smart, scalable insect farming
http://www.tiny-farms.com/

53 minutes ago, JibbyJedi said:

The fewer the ingredients, the less deadly & toxic it is.  If people choose to eat things they can't even pronounce never mind know what it is, then aren't they asking for whatever they get out of willful ignorance?  That's what I'd say as a neutral judge in a food product poisoning case.... "Did you read the label sir?  No?  Then you welcomed whatever came upon you, case dismissed.":

:IGly6RW:

2 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

“I’d buy a starter batch of mealworms from a pet store,” says David George Gordon, author of the Eat-A-Bug Cookbook

no

i had fried crickets and chili powder at a soccer match in veracruz,

definitely palatable in that form (not much different than shellfish really)

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Honestly, I don't think this is so bad.
If I were starving I would eat an insect before a mammal.
@JibbyJedi is correct, we are already consuming them.

The Truth About Red Food Dye Made from Bugs

Starbucks will stop using a red food dye made from bugs, its president recently wrote in a blog post.

Despite the attention Starbucks has received for using the insect-based dye in some of its products, the coffee purveyor is far from the only user of this additive. Anytime you see an ingredients list that includes carmine, cochineal extract or natural red 4, you can be sure that there's a little powdered bug therein.
-----
Until 2009, cochineal was one of many dyes that fell under the umbrella term "natural color" on ingredients lists. But because cochineal provokes severe allergic reactions in some people, the Food and Drug Administration requires carmine and cochineal extract to be explicitly identified in ingredients lists.

http://www.livescience.com/36292-red-food-dye-bugs-cochineal-carmine.html

How to Farm Insects at Home

One could potentially become a bug hunter and head to a park to try and collect wild insects to cook. But that’s not an ideal solution. “Foraging them from the wild could prove problematic on a number of levels,” says Daniella Martin, who runsGirl Meets Bug.

Conservation biologist Phil Torres notes the issues of “unnecessarily taking animals from the wild,” and Marc Dennis, the founder of Insects Are Food, says that “you do not want to take bugs from the wild, because you don’t know what sort of pesticides or other chemical sources they’ve come into contact with.”

So as it turns out, foraging your own insects is potentially unhealthy for the planet and your body. But if not from the sidewalk, where does one obtain this tiny livestock? Many companies that started as purveyors of food for pet reptiles are now supplying human consumers, as well.

“I’d buy a starter batch of mealworms from a pet store,” says David George Gordon, author of the Eat-A-Bug Cookbook.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/06/small-scale-insect-farming/

I haven't tried it but I'm not opposed to it.
I don't eat meat but a lot of people do feel they need animal protean.

Forget the vegetable patch! This kit lets you grow your own edible INSECTS to help cut down on meat eating

Eating insects may be used as a way to humiliate celebrities in the jungle but bugs are an important source of food in many countries, and this has created a need for reliable insect farmers.

To tackle this problem, California-based firm Tiny Farms has created an Open Bug Farm Kit that lets anyone grow their own protein-rich farm of edible insects. 

Each kit will be sold with an instruction manual and the equipment needed to start a farm, as well as a starter pack of bugs.
-----
The company calls the kit an ‘out-of-the-box, home scale insect farming kit that will allow anyone to start building their own herd of edible bugs.’

It is also setting up an online farm management system that will let farmers track activity in their farms, analyse crops and compare their yield with others.

This system will come with forums so farmers can ask for help and Tiny Farms has plans to make the processes available for free online so people can make their own kits from household items. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515043/Forget-vegetable-patch-This-kit-lets-grow-edible-INSECTS-help-cut-meat-eating.html

Pioneering smart, scalable insect farming
http://www.tiny-farms.com/

:IGly6RW:

Can we get maybe "10 likes" to use per day?  6 is just not enough some days.... or every day I mean.

Big high five to Lucy in my sky with diamonds.  Good info pulls.

So even going all Daryl Dixon (Walking Dead character for those TV cured) we'd still have to be concerned about Monsanto pesticide toxicity, lol.  Even the FB Monsanto opposition groups I think are controlled opposition though sometimes they spit out good truths, but just don't seem pissed off enough for me to be totally honest.  Here's my FB group that would be real..... "Let's get these F***ckers this weekend, no more fkn around."   Instead we seem to get a lot of "Look what else they're doing to us all that no one is doing shit about" headlines every day.  How many times do I have to see the space suit Monsanto sprayer hitting all the crops in photos to have something done about it?  My "likes" don't seem to be slowing the rising problems down.

Edited by JibbyJedi
1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, seeker said:

no

i had fried crickets and chili powder at a soccer match in veracruz,

definitely palatable in that form (not much different than shellfish really)

I've heard that.
I am an occasional pesctatrian. Sometimes I just want fish.
Shellfish can be pretty tasty but I'm careful now because they may be Fukued.
I've heard meal worms can be used in bread and the flavor isn't offensive.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

I've heard that.
I am an occasional pesctatrian. Sometimes I just want fish.
Shellfish can be pretty tasty but I'm careful now because they may be Fukued.
I've heard meal worms can be used in bread and the flavor isn't offensive.

Fukued anything = HOAX.

You should have gotten to there by now, lol.  No real Fukushima damage exists, or any nuclear power radiation exposure.  There are videos to back up this claim, many actually, I've watched them all thrice.  I want to be sure of what I think I currently know right now that will eventually change later when I have the more truer information, lol.

Edited by JibbyJedi

10 minutes ago, JibbyJedi said:

Can we get maybe "10 likes" to use per day?  6 is just not enough some days.... or every day I mean.

Big high five to Lucy in my sky with diamonds.  Good info pulls.

So even going all Daryl Dixon (Walking Dead character for those TV cured) we'd still have to be concerned about Monsanto pesticide toxicity, lol.  Even the FB Monsanto group I think are controlled opposition though sometimes they spit out good truths, but just don't seem pissed off enough for me to be totally honest.  Here's my FB group that would be real..... "Let's get these F***ckers this weekend, no more fkn around."   Instead we seem to get a lot of "Look what else they're doing to us all that no one is doing shit about" headlines every day.  How many times do I have to see the space suit Monsanto sprayer hitting all the crops in photos to have something done about it?  My "likes" don't seem to be slowing the rising problems down.

No kidding. Almost everything is poison nowadays.
The only way of peaceful protest is to boycott. That doesn't make much of a difference if most people buy what they sell.
I think people think they need more than they do. Most don't really have to eat three times a day if the food they do eat is healthy.

3 minutes ago, JibbyJedi said:

Fukued anything = HOAX.

You should have gotten to there by now, lol.  No real Fukushima damage exists, or any nuclear power radiation exposure.  There are videos to back up this claim, many actually, I've watched them all thrice.  I want to be sure of what I think I currently know right now that will eventually change later when I have the more truer information, lol.

Yeah, I'm still suspicious.
I fish now and then here in the PNW and they all look healthy to me.
I don't require seafood but sometimes I like it so I take the risk, same with some imported fruits.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.