Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Iditarod Begins Today!

12 posts in this topic

Its the greatest race on earth. Nothing is probably more exciting that traveling 1000 miles by dogsled across Alaska!

Live blog: Iditarod ceremonial start in Anchorage

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/live

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Iditarod

http://iditarod.com/

Here s Ally!  I get goose bumps watching all those fur babies jumping up and down barking in excitement because they want to RUN!!!!

I just had a thought. Im so tired of listening to the media talk politics. How about each candidate running for President put their name on a sled team. The winning team, wins the presidency. LOL

Rick Mercer should do a "talking politics with dogs" episode. Now that would be funny!

Oh No!

Iditarod officials: Snowmobile strikes 2 teams, kills dog, injures others - AP

1 minute ago, CGK said:

Oh No!

Iditarod officials: Snowmobile strikes 2 teams, kills dog, injures others - AP

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Officials in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race say a person on a snowmobile early Saturday morning purposely struck two teams in the race.

A dog on the team of four-time champion Jeff King was killed.

Two other dogs on King's team were injured. King received medical attention at the village of Nulato (noo-LAH-toh).

A dog on the team of Aliy Zirkle (AL-ee ZUR-cul) also received what was described as a non-life-threatening injury.

Race officials say the snowmobiler made repeated attempts to harm Zirkle and her team.

http://bigstory.ap.org/f3215005a31c4a90a710aa91f118dd50

Oh my God! Why oh why would someone do that? Insane! They did arrest him and he will be charged. Damn!

Posted (edited)

Son and Father came in 1st and 2nd --- and the one sled team that was attacked but were able to continue came in third.  Cool.  Here is her account of the attack - I did not realize it was not a drive by kinda thing - they were attacked for hours.  

http://www.startribune.com/iditarod-musher-terrified-during-2-hour-snowmobile-attack/372367771/

There's a 19 yr old from rochester ny in it - he's pretty close to the end of the pack but hey he's in it!  Local film footage showed him practicing in a field with the dogs - pulling a bare boned 4 wheeled cart to mimic sled with weight.

Edited by Tude

Posted (edited)

I'm beginning to doubt this story. I have two sleds, an MXZ 670 and an XP 800, if I wanted to mow down a dog sled team it would be mowed. If he'd really wanted to damage the mushers and their dogs it would be carnage, not one dead and two injured, that's a glancing blow from a snowmobile. Perhaps they knew they weren't winning and used a drunken sledder -snowmobiler- as an excuse for not coming in first? I don't know. But I do know if he'd really wanted to do damage it would be traces wrapped in wheels and dogs for paddles.

edit, I just can't fathom how, if he was as malicious as the story goes, how he didn't do more damage.

Edited by Brio

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.