Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigRed

Cash After The Collapse: How To Make Moonshine

20 posts in this topic

Collapse currency is a necessary shtf insurance policy we need to invest in for our long-term longevity. With this idea in mind, when we look at the concept of investing and wealth preservation for uncertain times, we want to employ a strategy that will provide as much coverage as possible so that if we are hit out of the blue with something totally unexpected, we’ll at least have the basic necessities to survive.

One of the most popular shtf currencies many have invested in is gold and silver. While these are the currencies of kings, many believe it may not be the only form of currency in a shtf scenario to prepare for. In this type of scenario, you must take into account to our everyday lives will have changed. We will longer have access to our modern conveniences: medicine, clean drinking water, food and, in desperate times, we will do what we can to trade or barter for it.

If we are facing an event where there is a capacity of millions of lives killed and take decades to recover from like a nuclear war or an EMP strike, then things like gold and silver may go on the back burner for a while. It’ll still have some value, but when survival consumes your every thought, your priorities tend to change. Valuable commodities like medicine, sugar and salt, seeds, knives and tobacco are a few of the six kinds of currency that will be tradeable in a long-term emergency. Another important item to stock up on is alcohol.

http://right.is/conservative-opinion/2016/02/cash-after-the-collapse-how-to-make-moonshine-2-3983.html

1 person likes this

Alcohol needs sugar.  So you better learn how to grow sugar cane or sugar beets

2 hours ago, grav said:

Or fruit.  Turn fruit into wine.  Run the wine through a still and you have moonshine.  Actually, brandy moonshine. 

Wild grapes like those found in east tx have a thick skin with a white powdery substance on it, that's natural yeast.  Fyi.

You can also make mead from honey.  You could technically run the mead through a still also, though your yields would be low since mead has a low alcohol content.

I like to drink.

Edited by Walk Softly
4 people like this

20 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

Or fruit.  Turn fruit into wine.  Run the wine through a still and you have moonshine.  Actually, brandy moonshine. 

Wild grapes like those found in east tx have a thick skin with a white powdery substance on it, that's natural yeast.  Fyi.

You can also make mead from honey.  You could technically run the mead through a still also, though your yields would be low since mead has a low alcohol content.

I like to drink.

te hee

I do make wine. Muscadine, blueberry. But they still need sugar. My mother-in-law was an old-timer. She put crushed grapes in a mason jar, added sugar, maybe yeast, put a rag over the top. Voila! Wine. I follow recipes, which is a lot of work. I put a bottle cap on a bottle one time -- a bit too early. The thick glass carboy exploded. I heard it go boom, thankfully I was well away from it. 

1 person likes this

@grav

You are correct in that is the way it should be made.  By not adding sugar your alcohol content will be significantly lower as the yeast will have limited sugar to munch on with fruit alone.  I once made wine from bananas, sugar, yeast and water (I think i still have an old bottle of it sitting in the back corner of my pantry.  Prolly 2 or 3 years old at this point).  It was quite good.  Then a "friend" turned it into brandy moonshine.  It didn't last long at all.  Proofed down to about 120.  

I think I've said it before.  I'm a huge fan of preparing for your skills, which you should be able to use to barter.  In this case, stock up on all the ingredients needed to make wine, moonshine, mead...etc.

11 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

@grav

You are correct in that is the way it should be made.  By not adding sugar your alcohol content will be significantly lower as the yeast will have limited sugar to munch on with fruit alone.  I once made wine from bananas, sugar, yeast and water (I think i still have an old bottle of it sitting in the back corner of my pantry.  Prolly 2 or 3 years old at this point).  It was quite good.  Then a "friend" turned it into brandy moonshine.  It didn't last long at all.  Proofed down to about 120.  

I think I've said it before.  I'm a huge fan of preparing for your skills, which you should be able to use to barter.  In this case, stock up on all the ingredients needed to make wine, moonshine, mead...etc.

:DWsKVPL:I'd like to see some recipes of sugar-free wine. Fermentation is a natural process, so why not? Very interesting.

I heard that many berry wines change color and flavor over time and should not turn bad. 

7 minutes ago, grav said:

:DWsKVPL:I'd like to see some recipes of sugar-free wine. Fermentation is a natural process, so why not? Very interesting.

I heard that many berry wines change color and flavor over time and should not turn bad. 

From my limited knowledge of wine making, you would essentially do it exactly the same, without adding sugar or yeast.  I would imagine your fruit and water ratio would be less then if you added sugar and yeast, since your yeild will be lower.  Mashup the fruit, add water and allow it to ferment.  Downside is you'll likely only see 4-6% alcohol vs. The 12-18% you would see by adding sugar and yeast.  It also won't store as long, which just means you need to drink it.. :)

Maybe I'll do a little experimenting... I could be wrong, but I think it would make a very dry wine.  

I'm gonna need more sugar!

I picked some fresh dandelions for my salad (and the roasted roots make tea or coffee substitute) and dreamed of dandelion wine that's supposed to be tasty but I've never tried it. Dandy wine is something older relatives used to make but mine weren't drinkers except for a grampy I never knew that lived in the Georgia hills with a still.

@Walk, duh, never thought of making wine without sugar and yeast. A small batch would be an easy thing to do.

@YM, my mother used to smother down dandelion greens in bacon grease and would add flour, maybe a little sugar, to make a gravy. We ate it over boiled potatoes.  Boy, was that good. I made it myself when I was younger.

My property has every weed under the sun. With one exception. I want dandelions!

7 hours ago, grav said:

Or grapes. (very high in sugar content and if allowed to fully dry and then powdered, works to increase the yield of moonshine)

However, corn itself contains enough sugar to make moonshine, the additional sugar only helps to increase the yield. 
(The things I learned from my extended family. lol )

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, RabidWolf said:

Or grapes. (very high in sugar content and if allowed to fully dry and then powdered, works to increase the yield of moonshine)

However, corn itself contains enough sugar to make moonshine, the additional sugar only helps to increase the yield. 
(The things I learned from my extended family. lol )

<slaps head> corn squeezins'

Doggonit, I can't get the url code to embed the George Jones video, White Lightning. Now that was a song! And a hoot!

Well, a city slicker came and he said "I'm tough"

I think I want to taste that powerful stuff

He took one s-slug and drank it right down

And I heard him a-moaning as he hit the ground

Mighty, mighty pleasin', your pappy's corn squeezin'

Sshoo, white lightning

The "G" men, "T" men, revenuers, too

Searchin' for the place where he made his brew

They were looking, tryin' to book him but my pappy kept on cookin'

Sshoo, white lightning

2 people like this

36 minutes ago, grav said:

<slaps head> corn squeezins'

Doggonit, I can't get the url code to embed the George Jones video, White Lightning. Now that was a song! And a hoot!

hehehe, good song! I prefer Copperhead Road by Steve Earle.

"I learned a thing or two from Charlie don't ya know. You better stay away from Copperhead Road." -Steve Earle

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.