Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

31% of U.S. Govt Assets Are Student Loans

10 posts in this topic

Late last week, the U.S. Treasury Department released its annual financial report for the U.S. Government. The document calculates the government’s total number of assets and liabilities. Unsurprisingly, the report offered another grim picture of the nation’s fiscal health.

Tucked away in the report, however, was a surprising fact. Student loans now make up 37 percent of the total assets of the U.S. government. In some ways, a major business of the U.S. government now is getting students to take out loans to pay for college.

The total value of assets held by the federal government is $3.2 trillion. The government’s assets include its cash, gold reserves, property, and the value of land, equipment, and inventories. The lion’s share of the government’s assets, though, is the value of loans it has issued. The total value of government-issued loans is over $1.2 trillion, almost 40 percent of its total assets.

By far the largest loan program run by the feds is the student loan program. Last year, the federal government held as assets almost $1.1 trillion in student loans. This is up almost 10 percent from 2014. The federal government earned almost $1 billion on these loans last year.

<snip>

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/27/37-of-us-gov-assets-are-student-loans/

Yep, just like bankers! Debt is money and money is debt to the tune of 1.1 trillion freaking dollars. Without students taking out loans, where would they be? Defaults are happening all over, the bubble is popping and all they can do is keep trying to get people to take on more debt for a worthless degree because there are no jobs. And debtor's prisons will soon be commonplace.  Don't take out federal loans, it's as bad as owing the IRS! After all the thieving from the criminals in D.C. we only have 3.2 trillion in assets, including all the land the BLM has stolen. 

1 person likes this

I don't understand what they think they will gain by putting people in prison for student loans it then will be forever lost . O wait they own the prisons where the tax payer will flip the bill . Is this not like Robbing Peter to pay Paul ?

The banking ship is sinking and no one is wearing a life jacket but the captain and only half of his rag tag crew .

What difference, at this point, does it make? Some Illuminati guys went for a walk and said, hey, let's bring down the economy and kill a lot of useless eaters. 

1 person likes this

Just think Sanders wants to give free college education. Now if that happens,do the ones who owe back loans get a get out of jail free pass or what.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, JustATrucker said:

Just think Sanders wants to give free college education. Now if that happens,do the ones who owe back loans get a get out of jail free pass or what.

Good question.

Student loans are a waste.

College is a waste. Don't let your kids go there.

If you're thinking about going to college, don't. Just read books for crying out loud. In college, you just pay to have someone tell you what books to read. Stupid. Truly stupid. Worst waste of money I ever spent.

If Sanders makes college free, the only thing it does is delay the adult job market. It makes people look for work four years later.  That's it. It wouldn't raise wages. It wouldn't make people have more opportunity. It would become another four years of school. If college was free, everyone would go, everyone would have a degree, and you would need either a masters or phd to get any job worth a squat.

Your best bet is trade school. Learn HVAC. Learn another language. You'll always be employed.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Flat said:

If you're thinking about going to college, don't. Just read books for crying out loud. In college, you just pay to have someone tell you what books to read. Stupid. Truly stupid. Worst waste of money I ever spent.

If Sanders makes college free, the only thing it does is delay the adult job market. It makes people look for work four years later.  That's it. It wouldn't raise wages. It wouldn't make people have more opportunity. It would become another four years of school. If college was free, everyone would go, everyone would have a degree, and you would need either a masters or phd to get any job worth a squat.

Your best bet is trade school. Learn HVAC. Learn another language. You'll always be employed.

I agree.
Obviously we do need some people with higher education but for most... not so much.
University is not for everyone. In some cases it can be harmful and not just financially.
A technical or trade school will get most farther than a basic liberal arts degree.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Flat said:

Amen! I couldn't have said it better!

12 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Amen! I couldn't have said it better!

Thanks.

College makes me so mad. I learned a few "important" things while I was there. True. Some of my teachers were great.

But I would be making more money and have an even higher position in my current company had I just worked there those four years...

Edited by Flat
It should be said that my degree did let me interview for my position. I would have had to climb the ranks otherwise. But... Like I said...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.