Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

Communication if SHTF

16 posts in this topic

Lots of times I tend to look at a shtf event as one that will nail us all at the same time. But, realistically, depending on what happens, there should be a few safe places, at least for awhile. Places where people can communicate at least to some degree.

So, let's say that there are a series of attacks on U.S. soil. Government already has executive orders for seizing all communications in the country. (And everything else for that matter.)

If you have a radio, there will be news if the government is still in tact, because they're going to want to tell you what to think and do. (not cynical!)  The only thing reliable will be small radio stations (one man/woman stations) and I'm not sure how long they would be allowed to broadcast. Requires a license, but would there be anyone there to enforce it in such a scenario?

There are walkie talkies and cb radios, but long range communication is a challenge. Whatever you have requires a power source, so generators, chargers, etc. are needed. Is solar best?

I'm hoping CGK pops into this thread and talks about Ham Radios. If I am not mistaken, I think she knows about them. @CGK

I couldn't imagine getting up tomorrow and knowing I'd probably never have internet communication again. My world would suddenly become a much smaller place.

Take away the internet and well...things change drastically in terms of the communication avenue for folks who think, (who actually THINK at all for that matter) like us will be scattered and disconnected! (pardon the pun?)

I forgot the name now but I knew a website which talked about a software for PC and/or smart devices(the app) that could allow peer to peer communications basically...Peer to peer ad hoc WIFI without the internet! So like a direct connection between devices without the need for the internet using this application.

Well during writing this post, I had forgot but trusting my intuition and memory I now remember!  http://www.thelifenetwork.org/about.html LIFE NET! The name makes sense doesn't it?

But yeah that is one solution I guess? By the way I heard about it years back...and I think I downloaded it several times and stored it away. Just in case....I have downloaded it and stored it somewhere again. LOL

Edited by neo1eht
1 person likes this

It has always been known that ham radio operators in any kind of emergency situations or
major disaster/events have been the back bone to any and almost all information that comes
out of the affected area.

Even two way communications between many different ham operators sending in instructions
and other information for the government.

I was not a ham operator, but I did have a single sideband large array antena system where
I communicated all across the globe when I was a teenager.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

Take away the internet and well...things change drastically in terms of the communication avenue for folks who think, (who actually THINK at all for that matter) like us will be scattered and disconnected! (pardon the pun?)

I forgot the name now but I knew a website which talked about a software for PC and/or smart devices(the app) that could allow peer to peer communications basically...Peer to peer ad hoc WIFI without the internet! So like a direct connection between devices without the need for the internet using this application.

Well during writing this post, I had forgot but trusting my intuition and memory I now remember!  http://www.thelifenetwork.org/about.html LIFE NET! The name makes sense doesn't it?

But yeah that is one solution I guess? By the way I heard about it years back...and I think I downloaded it several times and stored it away. Just in case....I have downloaded it and stored it somewhere again. LOL

​Neo, I've always known there was something like this out there, but never knew where or
what to look for. Thanks for the info! Appreciated much!

Lots of times I tend to look at a shtf event as one that will nail us all at the same time. But, realistically, depending on what happens, there should be a few safe places, at least for awhile. Places where people can communicate at least to some degree.

So, let's say that there are a series of attacks on U.S. soil. Government already has executive orders for seizing all communications in the country. (And everything else for that matter.)

If you have a radio, there will be news if the government is still in tact, because they're going to want to tell you what to think and do. (not cynical!)  The only thing reliable will be small radio stations (one man/woman stations) and I'm not sure how long they would be allowed to broadcast. Requires a license, but would there be anyone there to enforce it in such a scenario?

There are walkie talkies and cb radios, but long range communication is a challenge. Whatever you have requires a power source, so generators, chargers, etc. are needed. Is solar best?

I'm hoping CGK pops into this thread and talks about Ham Radios. If I am not mistaken, I think she knows about them. @CGK

I couldn't imagine getting up tomorrow and knowing I'd probably never have internet communication again. My world would suddenly become a much smaller place.

​Great topic to talk about cinnamon. Other forms of post disaster or collapse communications. Thanx!

A regular CB radio,  even straight out of the box,  will allow longe range communication.  Under the right atmospheric conditions,  you can do whats called a skip.  The signals bounce off the atmosphere and can literally travel across the globe.  A 3 watt radio can easliy do it with a decent antenna.  

Even a car, truck mounted antenna will work wonders on a cool clear night.  

It has always been known that ham radio operators in any kind of emergency situations or
major disaster/events have been the back bone to any and almost all information that comes
out of the affected area.

Even two way communications between many different ham operators sending in instructions
and other information for the government.

I was not a ham operator, but I did have a single sideband large array antena system where
I communicated all across the globe when I was a teenager.

​Cool! Cryptic! Also....this would be the way to go a well. Radios: short wave radio hops around the world so we could communicate like that as well as have other means .. like the one I mentioned...the more the better.! So we can have backup options. If One fails for some reasob we have another avenue! There is no such thing as too much in this situation! The more options the merrier! heh.

A regular CB radio,  even straight out of the box,  will allow longe range communication.  Under the right atmospheric conditions,  you can do whats called a skip.  The signals bounce off the atmosphere and can literally travel across the globe.  A 3 watt radio can easliy do it with a decent antenna.  

Even a car, truck mounted antenna will work wonders on a cool clear night.  

​mhm I was going to say that too. Ham radio/cb or w/e is the other comms option we would have. Short wave goes worldwide so yeah :)

Great Topic! Yes, I have quite a bit of info regarding ham radios. I have 2 hand held Baofeng UV-5R's. They really have come in handy especially when there is severe weather. (Like Yesterday for me) You can pick one up on Amazon for less than 40 bucks.

I would love to go into detail regarding ham and CB communications but It's Mothers Day and I have Mothers Day responsibilities.  Also, we had a tornado blow through my neighborhood this morning. I've been out trying to help neighbors with clean up.

Give me a couple of days and I will throw together a comprehensive post regarding alternative communications.

One thing to keep in mind with ham's, you can listen to them but you can not transmit without a license unless it is a life or death emergency.

"When normal communications systems are not available, amateur stations may make transmissions necessary to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property [47 CFR 97.403]."

Here is an interesting article for viewing until I can get around to giving this topic the attention it deserves.

Using Ham Radio and other communications equipment in Emergency Disaster Survival Situations and Information Blackouts

http://www.hamuniverse.com/informationblackouts.html

Great Topic! Yes, I have quite a bit of info regarding ham radios. I have 2 hand held Baofeng UV-5R's. They really have come in handy especially when there is severe weather. (Like Yesterday for me) You can pick one up on Amazon for less than 40 bucks.

I would love to go into detail regarding ham and CB communications but It's Mothers Day and I have Mothers Day responsibilities.  Also, we had a tornado blow through my neighborhood this morning. I've been out trying to help neighbors with clean up.

Give me a couple of days and I will throw together a comprehensive post regarding alternative communications.

One thing to keep in mind with ham's, you can listen to them but you can not transmit without a license unless it is a life or death emergency.

"When normal communications systems are not available, amateur stations may make transmissions necessary to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property [47 CFR 97.403]."

Here is an interesting article for viewing until I can get around to giving this topic the attention it deserves.

Using Ham Radio and other communications equipment in Emergency Disaster Survival Situations and Information Blackouts

http://www.hamuniverse.com/informationblackouts.html

​Some threads here should be held in your favorite places because of their valuable content for later reference. It looks
like this will turn out to be one of them.

Add this thread as well: Old Time Tools, Skills, Knowledge: (by Lilly)

http://www.conspiracyoutpost.com/topic/592-old-time-tools-skills-knowledge/?page=1

Edited by Cryptic Mole

I'll wander out on a limb and say it completely depends on what shit hits which fan. Some SHTF scenarios I would not even attempt to send a radio signal, encrypted or otherwise. (i.e., Martial Law)

For simple Natural disaster SHTF scenarios, I have 2 FSR/GMR-5watt radios that take AAA batteries. I also have the simple components to build a few crystal diode radios if need be. (one radio can be used as a power source for second radio to receive weak signals)

I also have a large supply of alkaline batteries that are good until 2021 (Always check the expiration dates folks) and several rechargeable battery sets (Lithium Ion and lead acid) with various ways of recharging them. A small solar battery charger with extra solar panels (just in case), appropriate adapters for DC charging off a vehicle or other DC source, and if all else fails, a hand-crank DC generator that could easily be hooked up to a bicycle tire for either charging on the go or jacking up the bicycle and charging in place.

Good stuff. Why not go add that to Lilly's thread as well?

Also, question, that radio FSR/GMR 5watt, is that a ham
radio and is it just a receiver or a tranceiver as well?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.