Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

Will Old Cars Eventually Be Banned?

25 posts in this topic

Will Old Cars Eventually Be Banned?

Oh really is this for the children and their safety or is it for control of the masses ? 

I have a 1973 chev pick up it's clean and in good shape and it gets over 24 miles per gal on the high way at 80 miles per hour better than most new cars and trucks . What more would i want ?

A fricken computer ? A GPS ? I don't think so , They can stick their tec up their %^%&* .

I found this page today it is a coming ban on older cars and trucks and maybe even motor cycles .

I will buy a horse and buggy before I give in to their tec surveillance crap !

 

Will Old Cars Eventually Be Banned?

November 24, 2009 • 0 Comments • Eric Peters

By Eric Peters, Automotive Columnist

If you’re not into modern cars, you’ve always had the option of driving something else. A car without a computer, GPS, a black box or any technology that pre-empts your decisions about everything from whether and when to turn the headlights on to how fast you’re allowed to drive.

But this end-run around automotive Big Brotherism may not be possible in the years ahead. Older, pre-computer cars could be outlawed entirely.

Several steps in that direction are already under way:

* Requiring that older cars comply with modern emissions control standards —

- See more at: https://www.motorists.org/blog/will-old-cars-eventually-be-banned/#sthash.AaU6hV1x.dpuf

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

America has a very rich history with lots of incredible old cars.  There are also quite a few shops who renovate and refurbish them - like Grease Monkeys - and the like.

CSB - you are 100% correct.  The new vehicles have all kinds of everything that opens and closes but they are not made to last Your '73 is now 43 years old - doe you really think one of these new pickup trucks will live that long?  The pickups of today are mostly a luxury car with a loading bay stuck onto it. I love old cars and have restored a few in my lifetime.

This has sweet blue buggerall to do with safety!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CSB said:

Will Old Cars Eventually Be Banned?

Oh really is this for the children and their safety or is it for control of the masses ? 

I have a 1973 chev pick up it's clean and in good shape and it gets over 24 miles per gal on the high way at 80 miles per hour better than most new cars and trucks . What more would i want ?

A fricken computer ? A GPS ? I don't think so , They can stick their tec up their %^%&* .

I found this page today it is a coming ban on older cars and trucks and maybe even motor cycles .

I will buy a horse and buggy before I give in to their tec surveillance crap !

 

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

There's more and a video at the link

I WAS DRIVING 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

The Jeep’s strange behavior wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d come to St. Louis to be Miller and Valasek’s digital crash-test dummy, a willing subject on whom they could test the car-hacking research they’d been doing over the past year. The result of their work was a hacking technique—what the security industry calls a zero-day exploit—that can target Jeep Cherokees and give the attacker wireless control, via the Internet, to any of thousands of vehicles. Their code is an automaker’s nightmare: software that lets hackers send commands through the Jeep’s entertainment system to its dashboard functions, steering, brakes, and transmission, all from a laptop that may be across the country. <snip>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FalkeAuge said:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

There's more and a video at the link

I WAS DRIVING 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

The Jeep’s strange behavior wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d come to St. Louis to be Miller and Valasek’s digital crash-test dummy, a willing subject on whom they could test the car-hacking research they’d been doing over the past year. The result of their work was a hacking technique—what the security industry calls a zero-day exploit—that can target Jeep Cherokees and give the attacker wireless control, via the Internet, to any of thousands of vehicles. Their code is an automaker’s nightmare: software that lets hackers send commands through the Jeep’s entertainment system to its dashboard functions, steering, brakes, and transmission, all from a laptop that may be across the country. <snip>

I wont be buying a Jeep . LOL Nor will I be buying any new car / truck . I maybe old school but I get where I am going just as fast with out being hacked . My 73 chev truck has even a Blaupunkt stereo and Bose speakers 4 wheel drive with a 4 on the floor . O and the 383 stroker motor is putting out just over 450 HP with headers and twice pipes . :wink:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember Cash for Clunkers? That was a program to take the non computerized vehicles off the road under the guise of helping the auto industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CGK said:

Remember Cash for Clunkers? That was a program to take the non computerized vehicles off the road under the guise of helping the auto industry.

Obama he trashed the old cars leaving many a foot . The day of the 300 dollar car is gone . I would like to see that SOB in a Studebaker with out windows .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CGK said:

Remember Cash for Clunkers? That was a program to take the non computerized vehicles off the road under the guise of helping the auto industry.

Yup! All it did was takeout a large pool of used cars that those less fortunate could've afforded without payments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CSB said:

I wont be buying a Jeep . LOL Nor will I be buying any new car / truck . I maybe old school but I get where I am going just as fast with out being hacked . My 73 chev truck has even a Blaupunkt stereo and Bose speakers 4 wheel drive with a 4 on the floor . O and the 383 stroker motor is putting out just over 450 HP with headers and twice pipes . :wink:

Nice! Well as my name implies I'm into classic cars big time. I have my own paint and body shop. I drive a 66 mustang hardtop 289/c4 auto. Nothing fast but she's areal sweet cruiser! I drive it to work pretty frequently. She's in my shop having a redo right at the moment and hope to be done in the next 3-4 months. Kudos to you for driving a classic!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The side benefit (for the Government, not us) to the Government's restricting of older vehicles, is that if an EMP or Carrington event ever happen the population will be completely dependent on the Government. All modern cars, pickup trucks, and semi trucks will be completely useless. Far too many electronic parts to replace including the main computer board that runs modern fuel injection systems, among other things.

I have about $100 worth of electrical auto parts, fuses, and replacement bulbs buried in a Faraday-box for my old '78 GMC pickup (along with other spare electronic goodies that may come in handy). I'll lose my new stereo system, but that's okay, I have the original AM/FM dial stereo in that box too. 
(I kinda pity anyone trying to stock electronic parts for a modern vehicle. Probably looking at $500+ just to get it to start, much less run properly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Nice! Well as my name implies I'm into classic cars big time. I have my own paint and body shop. I drive a 66 mustang hardtop 289/c4 auto. Nothing fast but she's areal sweet cruiser! I drive it to work pretty frequently. She's in my shop having a redo right at the moment and hope to be done in the next 3-4 months. Kudos to you for driving a classic!?

Its my everyday driver . Rain hale sleet or snow we are ready to roll .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electronic ignition started in the mid 70's. Most cars/trucks up to 1980 can be converted back to points style ignitions easily, and are then completely EMP proof. It can be done in some up until the later 80's but it is more involved due to not only electronic ignition but also fuel injection. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead


Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.