Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Intel chief ‘absolutely’ forgot about NSA data sweep program, attorney says

14 posts in this topic

Comedy anyone? Who could forget about section 215? Thursday an appeals court ruled bulk collection of phone records illegal. But prospects for getting rid of section 215 look pretty grim to me. They never want to relinquish power once they snatch it.

Fox News

The National Security Agency's massive data collection program has prompted lawsuits, internal reviews and a fierce congressional debate over whether to scrap it. 

But Director of National Intelligence James Clapper apparently forgot the program even existed during a key hearing two years ago. 

Robert Litt, the DNI's general counsel, revealed the major memory lapse during a panel discussion Friday hosted by the Advisory Committee on Transparency. He was offering an explanation as to why, in a now-infamous exchange several months before Ed Snowden-leaked materials surfaced on the NSA program, Clapper told a Senate committee that the government does not "wittingly" sweep up information on millions of Americans. 

He wasn't lying, Litt said. Rather, "It was perfectly clear that he had absolutely forgotten the existence of the 215 program." 

The claim may be startling for the lawmakers, civil liberties advocates and transparency groups who have debated the program intensely since it was revealed in a series of media reports in mid-2013. 

The 215 program allows the NSA to collect so-called "metadata" on phone calls -- including the number called and the date and time of the call -- then stores it in a database that it queries using phone numbers associated with terrorists overseas. Officials say they don't use the information for any other purpose, and that the legal powers that enable the program are essential to the hunt for terrorists. Opponents say the seizure and search of telephone company records violates Americans' expectations of privacy under the Fourth Amendment. 

<snip>

Rubio: ‘Not a single documented case of abuse’ of NSA program

In a new opinion piece, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida is defending the NSA’s phone-snooping program that a federal panel recently ruled is not authorized under the post-9/11 Patriot Act, saying the program remains essential to the country’s security.
-----
“The government is not listening to your phone calls or recording them unless you are a terrorist or talking to a terrorist outside the United States,” 
Mr. Rubio wrote. “There is not a single documented case of abuse of this program. Internet search providers, Internet-based email accounts, credit card companies and membership discount cards used at the grocery store all collect far more personal information on Americans than the bulk metadata program.”

http://govtslaves.info/rubio-not-a-single-documented-case-of-abuse-of-nsa-program/

Membership discount cards from grocery stores?
I hadn't even thought about that one. 
:/

In a new opinion piece, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida is defending the NSA’s phone-snooping program that a federal panel recently ruled is not authorized under the post-9/11 Patriot Act, saying the program remains essential to the country’s security.
-----
“The government is not listening to your phone calls or recording them unless you are a terrorist or talking to a terrorist outside the United States,” 
Mr. Rubio wrote. “There is not a single documented case of abuse of this program. Internet search providers, Internet-based email accounts, credit card companies and membership discount cards used at the grocery store all collect far more personal information on Americans than the bulk metadata program.”

http://govtslaves.info/rubio-not-a-single-documented-case-of-abuse-of-nsa-program/

Used to be a guest on coast to coast that talked about that all the time,  cant remember her name now.  Kathleen something??  Maybe??  

Used to be a guest on coast to coast that talked about that all the time,  cant remember her name now.  Kathleen something??  Maybe??  

That $1.37 saving isn't looking like it's worth it... ¬¬

-----

​Oh god, Lucy! :chuckle:

Do you have your waders on, too? I'm thinking of going fishing just as soon as I wade through the bs.

That $1.37 saving isn't looking like it's worth it... ¬¬

She recommended everyone use fake names,  until some of the big chain stores started requiring an ID to get one!! 

I believe their was even a case where a woman used some of the data against her husband in a divorce process. 

Edited by Full Throttle

​Oh god, Lucy! :chuckle:

Do you have your waders on, too? I'm thinking of going fishing just as soon as I wade through the bs.

​No kidding.
I might need to find a wet suit... It's getting pretty deep around here. :ph34r:

She recommended everyone use fake names,  until some of the big chain stores started requiring an ID to get one!! 

I believe their was even a case where a woman used some of the data against her husband in a divorce process. 

o.O He was buying the wrong kind of orange juice? 

I think all of them ask for ID now.
Rite-Aid tried to get me to fill out some big form to update my card the other day.
I didn't have the time then and I'm not gonna do it now.
Thanks Mr. Rubio for letting it slip just how bad it is.

o.O He was buying the wrong kind of orange juice? 

I think all of them ask for ID now.
Rite-Aid tried to get me to fill out some big form to update my card the other day.
I didn't have the time then and I'm not gonna do it now.
Thanks Mr. Rubio for letting it slip just how bad it is.

I think he was buying lots of booze,  if I remember,  been a while,  but she supposedly was able to use the data in her case. Needs more research,  im too lazy at this point to do it. 

On 5/11/2015, 5:26:22, Full Throttle said:

I think he was buying lots of booze,  if I remember,  been a while,  but she supposedly was able to use the data in her case. Needs more research,  im too lazy at this point to do it. 

A lot of weird info on grocery store tracking here:

http://www.nocards.org/news/supermarketnews.shtml

This is our future. It shows how a pizza operator knows everything about the poor, fat guy who took a vaca and has a size 40" waist. This is what will happen once all the data bases are connected. Insurance companies are going to love this!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.