Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
timetraveler2015

Survival food suggestions

21 posts in this topic

Any suggestions for stockpiling food for SHTF? I would use more backpacker meals but they put WAY too much salt in them, enough to cure a few sick hams lol.

The 4 survivor foods Are: 1. Acorns 2. Cattails 3. Tall grasses 4. The inside bark of pine trees:

My top 5: dried beans, rice, canned meats, pasta, honey. I have big metal containers and a large metal garbage can to store food, batteries, veg. seeds, go bags, medical kits.

Roadtoad is kidding. But not wrong. A lot of wild plants are edible if you're sure of their ID and know how to prepare them. Don't waste your time here with the topic. Find prepper sites and books. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. And I'm not kidding.

2 people like this

What grav said.  Don't get sucked in to buying premade freeze dried food.  If you had to survive with only that, you would likely put quite a shock on your body as you've never eaten like that before.   

I prep for what I eat, and eat what I prep.  What I mean is I cycle my food stores.  Rice, beans, pastas, honey, salt (please store salt!!).  Canned veggies can last up to 5ish years past the date in the right conditions.  

Prep to hold you over while you get a garden started, and for the hard times.  It isn't so daunting that way.  

Stay safe. Good luck.  

10 hours ago, timetraveler2015 said:

Any suggestions for stockpiling food for SHTF? I would use more backpacker meals but they put WAY too much salt in them, enough to cure a few sick hams lol.

Legumes of any variety( black beans, pinto beans ect). Rice, rice, rice. Great filler and a good source of carbs. Buy in bulk, you can get 100lbs for about $80.

I suggest cream of chicken cans as well. It goes well on rice and is relatively cheap.

Anything else is really up to you. I have  a lot of pancake mix. It keeps well and is decent enough food, just add water and bingo.

Other than that, Flour, Sugar, and other baking needs.

Oh and white vinegar for hygiene needs. Its the cheapest cleaner possible. Helps cut back water use.

1 hour ago, timetraveler2015 said:

What? No bacon????

Well if you have salts and a cold cellar storage area hang it from the ceiling.

What I would start doing is when you get your normal groceries just add a cpl things each week and before long you have a stockpile. I always buy an extra pack of red beans and some ramen noodles and rice. Now of course sometimes it gets used during the week but by doing that little extra you'll always have something for a few days. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, roadtoad2 said:

The 4 survivor foods Are: 1. Acorns 2. Cattails 3. Tall grasses 4. The inside bark of pine trees:

Stock up on knowledge. Here are a couple of books you might want to keep in your library.

URBAN FORAGING - Finding and eating wild plants in the city.  David Craft (Author)

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants  Samuel Thayer (Author)

What dude said with the addition of OATS. They store well and they ain't just for breakfast.

Fresh stuff is what I worry about the most. We really need that, so I bought a bunch of sprouting seeds. Sprouts are a superfood and are delicious! Recipe: Broccoli sprouts on a peanut butter sammich (no jam or jelly on there). Sounds horrid, but it's really, really good!  You can keep the sprouter on the kitchen counter and eat them all the time, small area for so much nutrition. You can either buy a sprouting kit or just use mason jars with a screen on the top so they can breathe. A little bit of seed makes a lot of sprouts. 

4 hours ago, Groove said:

What I would start doing is when you get your normal groceries just add a cpl things each week and before long you have a stockpile. I always buy an extra pack of red beans and some ramen noodles and rice. Now of course sometimes it gets used during the week but by doing that little extra you'll always have something for a few days. 

This what I do too and when something I normally buy is on sale I get a few extra.
Dried beans can be a little tricky. They don't cook well in an acid environment so I add some baking soda.
I also stock up on DR. Bronner's soap. It can be used for dishes, laundry, shampoo and even tooth paste but I don't recommend that.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.