Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigRed

In China, Congressman Chris Smith Discusses Human Rights Issues

5 posts in this topic

U.S. Congressman Chris Smith spent five days in a human rights mission to China.  Smith, Chairman of the bipartisan Congressional-Executive Commission on China (CECC), gave a speech titled “Duty to Defend Universally Recognized Human Rights”, at the New York University (NYU) campus in Shanghai.

It was the first public speech by an elected Member of Congress since the campus opened there in 2012—which was open to NYU faculty and students.

Following, excerpts of remarks by Smith on China New York University-Shanghai February 16, 2016.

I want to thank Chancellor Yu and Vice-Chancellor Lehman for the invitation to speak today at NYU-Shanghai on human rights and to answer any questions you might have.

There are so many impressive faculty and students here on campus committed to academic excellence, personal growth and making a positive difference in society.

As each of you know, higher education creates opportunities to realize dreams of achievement and self-sufficiency.

Higher education helps us acquire the tools and critical thinking skills to master complex challenges, build things and create wealth.

Higher education for me was also the time to begin to seriously ask hard questions and seek truth—a lifelong pursuit for all of us—about the meaning of life, the sacred duty to care for our neighbor and all things transcendent, especially God and His unsurpassable love for each and every one of us.

I am a Catholic—a Christian who doubted the existence of God during part of my early college years who only after a protracted search, embraced the Gospel message of faith, hope and charity and the promise of heaven.

http://en.tuidang.org/news/us-news/2016/02/in-china-congressman-chris-smith-discusses-harassmentdetention-of-human-rights-leaders.html

Hey, Chris, why don't you focus on getting manufacturing back in your own country instead of wasting taxpayer funds in Asia. They stole your jobs (thanks to Bill Clinton) and you're worried about their human rights?? Sum ting wong with congress.

1 person likes this

Like China really gives a shit about human rights. And now with those man made islands now being equip with missle batteries and war planes. The only thing China is thinking of. Is when will the best opportunity open up for them to attack the Us.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.